Faulty CPU

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I changed motherboards and power supply just to find out that my processor is faulty because sometimes during boot up it doesnt show the processor details on the boot screen. I use to have frreezes before but i just set it up with new motherboard tonight so if i get freezes i can be fore sure that the processor is faulty. Just so i dont jump to conclusion is the anyone who experiences that the processor details dont come up on boot screen. ??

In a computer not properly functioning, the CPU is very rarely at fault.

Do you have some sort of a motherboard spash screen coming up? That could mask processor details. If you have the short memory test enabled in the BIOS, the boot text flies by quickly enough that you may not see it. Bad RAM can cause freezes.

There's a whole list of things that could be wrong, with the CPU at the very end.

System specs? Old motherboard? Exactly what is happening?

Could be the RAM, PSU, SATA or IDE device, or even the motherboard itself. Any of those could be interfearing with your POST. Since the problem occurs during the CPU details, it's likely the RAM, or motherboard. Try it with only one stick of RAM, and if it has the same problem try the other stick. Also try them in different slots to be sure that one the slots isn't faulty.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
My old specs:
Q6600 vid 1.325v
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
XFX 680i Lt sli
Ocz 2GB 800mhz ram
Corsair TX 650W
Nzxt tempest
Pioneer DVD-RW
Samsung F1 640GB
Maxtor 30GB

Problem: When I turn on the computer, The boot up screen does not show the processor details; Model, Speed, Multiplier etc.
It only shows the ram and the hard drives etc.
I was getting Bsod in Windows, Freezes, lock up. Not excessively but they occured.
By the way this never use to happen EVER. My system use to be rock stable. Until One day I decided to change the thermal paste. I did it and my temps where ok. So I started Playing farcry 2 after a while playing the computer SHUTDOWN (like someone took out the power cable). So i turned on the computer again checked temps and they were really high like 67 idle. After this I was like what caused this, I opened the case only to find out that the heatsink was not seated properly it was lose hanging a bit. I reseated the heat sink and my temps went down to normal like 38-42 Idle.

I saw the processor details did not come up in the boot up screen.

Then I started to get freezes in windows, lockups, and not booting up getting grey screen and blue screen while loading windows getting stuck before you reach the vista login screen. All sorts of problems. So I did a clean install of vista. Wiped everything on the hard drive. Installed all the drivers, the system was more stable now.

Even though the system was more stable the processor details did not show up on boot up like usual. So I thought the motherboard was faulty. But I could still use windows without problems, so i left it for a week or two. I was getting random lockups in vista forcing me to reset computer. I installed logmein and i heard it causes freeszes on vista. But i was also getting freezes without it doing normal tasks like browsing or just navigation desktop. This did not happen all the time but randomly.

After all these problems I was fed up, so i tested my ram to see it was faulty using memtest 2.11 for 5.xx hours NO ERRORS. So am sure thats not faulty. After this I concluded that is was the motherboard because its not that good of a board in quality

I rma'd the board, I bought a new one Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R. Set it up yesterday along with my new case: CM Storm Scout and a brand new corsair 650W psu. Same GPU, RAM, HARD DRIVES, COOLER, DVD drive.

I was disappointed to see that the processor details still did not show up like usual. Only sometimes it showed up on boot screen other times it didnt. But the good thing about this board is it has speakers. So when it makes a beep that means a normal boot up and the processor details show up on the screen. Other times it doesnt make any sound and no details of the processor is shown on the screen.

I havent had freezes in windwos as i have had it for a short period of time. Although I did have sound stutter and screen stuter whist listening to music and installng program

From this I clearly conclude that the procesor is faulty..

Can you verify that your motherboard supports your processor? Sometimes it needs to be at a certain revision level and bios level to recognize a newer cpu.

Is your 4/8 pin cpu power connector plugged in securely?

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Everything is connected secure, my motherboard supports the q6600 fully and I also updated to the latest version. I found out yesterday that the processor details only show up when I turn on from cold. If its a restard from windows or ctrl alt del , the details will not come up. I need some one with same cpu and motherboard to test this, if they get it too.

When you are talking about "processor details", you mean at the very beginning when you see CPU, CPU speed, and memory, right?

One of my computers has a Q6600 in a GA-EP45-UD3L. From a cold boot, I see all the details (except when the Gigabyte splash screen is enabled in BIOS). If I do a warm boot (restart) or if the splash screen is enabled, all I see are the drive table and a device table before Windows starts loading.

You would not be able to {PST and boot with a faulty CPU.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Yes I have found this out. When I boot from cold I see the processor details; speed, muliplier,model etc. When I restart(warm boot) the post screen comes up but I dont see the processor details only the Ram, Hard drives and then alot of controllers and then it goes into windows. Could you restart from windows and try to see if you can see the first post screen, If it goes to fast press pause. For me it doesnt go too fast. Its actually quite slow.

What I see when I turn on the computer from cold
Bios name logo etc
Bios version:
Main Processor:
Dual Channel Ram
Ram Test: xxxxxxx OK
Channel 0 Samsung HD642JJ
Channel 1
Channel 2 Pioneer DVD-RW
Channel 5 Maxtor
etc
A bunch of controllers including usb etc
Then it loads into windows

from restart what i see:
Bios name logo etc
Bios version
Dual Channel Ram
Ram test: xxxxxx OK
Channel 0 Samsung HD642JJ
Channel 1
Channel 2 Pioneer DVD-RW
Channel 5 Maxtor
Table of bunch of controllers including usb ahci 1349 lan etc
Then it boots into windows.

Everything is there except for a beep and processor details showing.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Normal boot up from cold.
image021ozs.jpg

Boot screen from a restart by windows or by using ctrl alt del.
image022qrr.jpg

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008

I can boot into windows no problem, I just get random freezes and am trying to find out if the processor is responsible. If this thing with the processor details occurs only to me than that would mean something is not right. I need Some one to test it to see if its the same.

salty85

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
it could be another component, that is why I suggest unix to see if it works the same or not, get rid of the software variable

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
old spec: xfx 680i lt sli, q6600, 2gb ocz, 8800gt, samsung f1 640gb, maxtor 30gb, arctic freezer 7 pro.
What happened: playing farcry 2, complete shutdown, restarted computer, check temps, they were high, 67 idle, reseated heat sink, could not boot into vista, saw processor details not always coming up in post screen, did clean install of vista, life went on, started getting freezes, especially logmein, random freezes on desktop, freezing whilst browsing, antivirus program not functioning, everything messed up. I did a ram test, memtest 2.11 for 5.xx hours NO ERRORS, went ahead and did rma on mobo.

Recieved new mobo: Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r, rest is same.
Installed all the components, fresh install of vista, ran great, discovered the bios post screen thing, found out the pattern, it only shows on cold boot, and dont show on warm boot, had hard drive problems (noisy) messed with hard drive settings, no avail, did a low-level format using estool(samsung software), did clean install of vista, installed wifi driver, computer freezes, formated the entire drive, installed ubuntu, messed with settings wen trying to install firefox 3.5, got rid of it and did clean install of vista again on the entire drive. No freezes yet, same post issue. Seeking Info wether this is a fault or is common among all motherboards(or most).

I hope you understand where am at now. I only need asurance that the processor is not faulty. So I can continue troobleshooting. :)

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
How could it possible be the video card causing the freezing and by the way when I was refering to the temps I talking about the processor because the heat sink was kinda lose. Either way. do you get this thing with the processor in post screen not showing up on restarts (look at picute above). Could you test it and report back to me.

Lippy13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
It could possibly be that your hard drive is developing bad sectors. I once had a similar problem as you on my laptop, where I would get lock-ups on Vista. It typically happened just after booting it. What would happen is that programs would slowly hang one by one until eventually the whole system locks up. However, if no problems occurred within about 5 minutes of booting, it would be fine and could run for hours without problems. About a couple of weeks later, the hard drive started to click a bit, before the bad sectors ate Vista altogether. It remained dead for about 3 months (Ubuntu became my primary OS during that time) before it finally noticed that the hard drive had bad sectors and it eventually managed to revive itself. Funnily enough, the hard drive has never clicked since and all the hanging problems have gone away since then.

Also my computer doesn't POST on a warm restart either, it just skips it. I get the BIOS splash screen but no beeps or anything. So I'm leaning on saying that's normal.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I took of splash screen so I still get post, although it skips the processor and ram test parts. Maybe its normal which I think but no one is really confirming it.

I think the cpu info vs. not is normal. A restart boot is different. It is a software restart so the bios does not need to go through the cpu detection part of the process and other things like a memory test. It is just rebooting the OS.

To help diagnose the problem, boot from a cd and run memtest86+ It should run a full pass with NO errors.

Then run prime95 with rounding error checking on. Monitor your temperatures. Run until the cpu reaches maximum temperatures. It should run with NO errors. Monitor with cpu-z to verify that the multiplier stays at max and that there is no throttling. This test does not use the vga resources much.

No doubt there is a vga intensive test that you can run. Anyone suggest one?

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008

Thanks for the help. So the processor details not showing up on a warm boot is completely normal right?

I did memtest86+ 2.11 for 13 hours last night and NO ERROR. So is it safe to say that the ram is not faulty right?

Also Could a faulty hard drive be causing random freezes?

Could graphics card drivers be causing freezes in windows or a faulty card?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Do prime or Linx , if its CPU issues Prime or linx will make it BURNNN (err if this thing has a tendency to overheat, keep realtemp on and keep an eye on the system before it kills it self)

do a 20 lap of linx or 8 hours of prime, if it's stable, then its good, if not, report back HOW it failed (a small freeze, then reboot, or BSOD with error code 3E, or something)