Unknown Application Running at Startup

May 25, 2004 5:21:08 PM

Need Help

I have Norton Antivirus 2004 to protect my system, and check system every month with msconfig to see if any program is running in the background without my knowledge.
This time I check, There is a unknown program running in the background with no name (blank) under the [startup item] column and with no command path (blank) under the command column.

During the earlier check with msconfig, the program wasn't there.
I scan my computer with Antivirus and it came up with nothing.

How do I delete the program??????
Or find out what the program is????

Help Help!!!!!

Thank you
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:04:49 PM

Download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com

If that doesn't find any malware, hit ctrl-alt-delete, first, look at the
programs tab and see if it is listed as a running app, if you don't see it,
check the processes tab and see if you can see anything running either
without a designation or some unfamiliar designation. NOTE: it is not
unusual to see several instances of svchost.exe. You should also see,
System Idle Process running in the high 90s, this is also normal.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Philip" <lips1028@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Need Help
>
> I have Norton Antivirus 2004 to protect my system, and check system every
> month with msconfig to see if any program is running in the background
> without my knowledge.
> This time I check, There is a unknown program running in the background
> with no name (blank) under the [startup item] column and with no command
> path (blank) under the command column.
>
> During the earlier check with msconfig, the program wasn't there.
> I scan my computer with Antivirus and it came up with nothing.
>
> How do I delete the program??????
> Or find out what the program is????
>
> Help Help!!!!!
>
> Thank you
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 10:36:03 PM

Thank you Michael
The program was solved following you advices

Best Wishes.
Philip
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 10:55:18 PM