Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading video card on a Dell Studio Slim desktop

Last response: in Components
July 10, 2009 2:28:32 AM

Hello all,

I read some posts on "low profile" graphics cards but I still would like some help :( 

I just bought a dell studio slim desktop model 540S. It has a 250 W power supply and an ATI radeon HD4350 and have a 24" HD monitor.

I will be looking in the not to distant future (3 - 6 months) to upgrade the video card but I dont want to be limited to low profile cards if they cant provide decent graphics for new games.

Would I be able to just buy a new case and higher W PSU and just transfer everything over? If so I'm not opposed to that, I've never done that before but I think I could handle it. is that possible and can anyone recommend a case and power supply?

Thanks,

Euan
July 10, 2009 3:11:47 AM

Unless Dell has changed the BTX layout then the case upgrade probably won't be cheap. What is the new GPU meant for? Gaming?
July 10, 2009 3:56:13 AM

Yes the GPU would be for gaming, I don't need to have he top of the line card, I just dont want to be limited.

How much do you mean by not cheap? would the mother board I have with this dell be compatible with regular sized GPUs?
Related resources
July 10, 2009 4:02:19 AM

The Studio Slim 540S has the Intel G45 Express Chipset...regarding my question about compatibility with the regular sized GPUs.
October 11, 2009 4:04:29 AM

I got around it by having someone reconfigure the 2nd hard-drive cable to fit the geforce9600gt, then cram it all in.

This has worked great so far (it's been 5 months and hasn't exploded), but invalidates the warentee.
!