Upgrading video card on a Dell Studio Slim desktop

Eu-Bot

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hello all,

I read some posts on "low profile" graphics cards but I still would like some help :(

I just bought a dell studio slim desktop model 540S. It has a 250 W power supply and an ATI radeon HD4350 and have a 24" HD monitor.

I will be looking in the not to distant future (3 - 6 months) to upgrade the video card but I dont want to be limited to low profile cards if they cant provide decent graphics for new games.

Would I be able to just buy a new case and higher W PSU and just transfer everything over? If so I'm not opposed to that, I've never done that before but I think I could handle it. is that possible and can anyone recommend a case and power supply?

Thanks,

Euan

Eu-Bot

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Yes the GPU would be for gaming, I don't need to have he top of the line card, I just dont want to be limited.

How much do you mean by not cheap? would the mother board I have with this dell be compatible with regular sized GPUs?

sd78

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I got around it by having someone reconfigure the 2nd hard-drive cable to fit the geforce9600gt, then cram it all in.

This has worked great so far (it's been 5 months and hasn't exploded), but invalidates the warentee.