Sign in with
Your question

What's my computers problem?!?!?!

Last response: in Components
July 10, 2009 4:10:45 AM

I was recently playing a computer game and in the middle my computer went completely dead, along with a sizzle sound. Now the computer has zero response. No beep, no attempt to even start up whatsoever. Is this most likely a PSU issue, or could it have affected other areas of the computer? Is there anyway to know.

# AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad-Core AM2+ Processor

# COOLERMASTER HIGH PERFORMANCE ADVANCED AMD CPU COOLER (RECOMMENDED)

# Asus M4A78 PLUS Socket AM2+/ AMD 770/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

# KINGSTON 4GB DDR-2 1066MHZ PC2-8500

# Western Digital/HITACHI 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB

# LITEON/SAMSUNG 22X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE (PROMO ITEM)

# nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB DDR3 HDCP Video Card

# Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 24-bit Sound Card, Bulk

# 10/100 ETHERNET ONBOARD

# APEVIA X-TELSTAR BLACK MID-TOWER ATX

# OKIA 80MM CASE COOLER

# OKIA A-POWER 680 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

More about : computers problem

July 10, 2009 4:59:18 AM

Well can you tell where the sizzling sound came from? Regardless it does sound like the power supply. I just checked the specs on that PSU and I am surprised that it lasted the time it did. 19A on the 12V rail is not acceptable. Next time do not skimp out on the PSU. It is one of the most important components in any system.
m
l
July 10, 2009 1:47:15 PM

Hopefully it did not take out other components as well......
m
l
July 10, 2009 3:32:50 PM

Is there anyway to know if it took out other components without buying a new power supply?
Here is my dilema... I recently bought the computer, and it is still under warranty. It would probably be 80 dollars + time to send it back and wait for the company to fix it. I could go buy another power supply and test it, and if my computer still doesn't work I could take the power supply back and then send in for warranty? Is there a way I could cause futher damage to my computer?
m
l
Related resources
!