What card is best for what titles?

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked many times in the past, I did some searching and couldn't find anything current on the subject. Basically i'm tossing between the GTX 260 (core 216) and the Radeon 4870 (1gb) with these two seeming pretty evenly matched in price and performance. My problem is I recently read a tomshardware article that said different games run more smoothly on different card architecture (Said Article). Just wondering if anyone has a link to a breakdown of what games are best on what cards so I can make an educated decision? The games I play most are from the COD series, Battlefield 2, and Company of Heroes if that helps.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well if your playing at 19xx/xxxx than either of these cards would be worthless...well not worthless but there is money better spent and these just wouldn't provide the stable fps+all the added eye candy....if its below 16xx/xxxx than both are overkill....

Select a monitor before a GPU :sarcastic:

I suggest you got with a 16xx/xxxx resolution monitor......if you went for 19xx/xxxx and wanted the same performance as your 260/4870 would have on 16xx/xxxx you would need to spend around 100$ or more...

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'll be using the same monitor (Dell 1905FP 19-inch Flat Panel). I think it can go up to 1280x1024 (@ 60 or 75hz) although i found everything looked really small at that res and reverted back to 1024x768. Currently running OS in 1024x768 although I run some games lower at 800x600 just because they seem smoother that way. Current GPU is a 7800gt, didn't really know monitor and resolution mattered that much?

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
......please go and google some benchmarks and EDUCATE(as in get geeky...not calling you stupid) yourself before you waste 150? +$ on something you don't need

The ATI 4670 would be a great card for that monitor and it would run ANY...i stress ANY game released atm with eyecandy and at max settings...cept crysis...

That card is actually most used on 1280x1024's and it does great on em...so check the benchmarks out on that as well...it would be great for your current pc as an upgrade BEFORE the new build...but if your going for a new build...cpu/case/mobo and all that than you will want to upgrade your monitor and than get one of the gpus like the 4870....

What is your current cpu? if its a decent cpu just grab the 4670 and wait out on building a new pc for a while longer...

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Trust me i've been attempting to educate myself for the past few weeks skimming all the articles I can in my free time. No need to be rude because i've missed a few details this isn't like shopping for a tooth brush. It's a little overwhelming and a lot of articles seem to be biased as far as personal preference or from the company marketing them (Ie. Nvidia's recent article trashing the i7, wow big suprise the GPU company want's you to drop your extra $$$ on their product not the CPU).

Tacking the 4670 onto my current system isn't an option while I appreciate the suggestion. My current (~6 year old) Athlon 4000+, 7800gt, DDR system is bagging lately as the CPU is just wearing right out. Any new card wouldn't be showing it's true potential bottle necked by a failing processor.

The new PC will be an E8400 system with 4gigs ddr2 and an undecided GPU obviously. I hadn't even considered a new monitor as well.... I thought a screen was a screen and the newer high res screen would only result in lower frames from the same card?

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
No resolution makes a big difference...and i feel the same iv been meaning to build for the past 3 years and im pretty tech friendly even though there is alot of *** to learn and look out for its crazy

Post back when you are ready to buy that gpu as new stuff comes everyday...a good gpu for the price/performance recommended today could be a *** deal next week....

You shouldn't be buying a dual core cpu...you may not know this as well to but im don't feeling like going into the 3 paragraphs worth of details....

Go for a good motherboard that can oc well to start out with...and depending on your budget start with either an amd phenom 720 or 940/955....the 720 will play anything out atm and should last you a decent while...when your 720 doesn't hold up just upgrade to the newest released chip or one of the quad phenoms that are on the market today...

LGA775 is dying...not worth it...nor is going dual core

Im sure someone else can recommend or detail it better...

GOD DAMMIT MONITOR SIZE/RES VS CARD PERFORMANCE IS 100% BS

i cant see a 4670 running 8x AA or more at 1024x768 or 1280x1024, nor playable with next gen games - BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD WITH YOUR BUDGET

why do people keep thinking res and screen size have anything to do with future proofing?

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

What are you going on about that is 100% bs?

Hmmm i did get a little out of hand with eye candy albeit it shouldn't have any trouble at that res with games on mostly high and most of the source games love it with aax?...never said anything about next gen games or its future

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

You are such a ******* troll...so many watered down posts....

Good lord may your "not for everyone" i7 catch aflame....

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

I'm ready to buy the GPU within the next two days, I had thought that was clear but maybe not. Either way i'm still wondering which route works better with the games I like, or if it really makes all that much difference? I just hadn't considered the new screen idea. Now it seems like this thread has just turned into a typical preference war :D

I guess i'm half way there with your thinking, I had chose a nice asus board and planned on actually overclocking the bargain dual core E8400 as I read they run quite stable and cool even at ~3.6. The main reason I chose it was because I was under the impressed intel's Core 2 Quad's while they are more expensive than phenom's, out perform them. So I had planned on rocking that core 2 duo until the price of the high end core two quads come down, then the switch would simple I could use the same 775 board.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Yeahp but isn't intel stopping production of lga775 chips? shouldn't that make emm hard to find and pricier as well by the time you want to buy a new chip...i am probably wrong :??:

Hmmm so are you keeping your current monitor?

If so the GTS 250/9800GTX+ or 4850 will be right up your alley...check out some benchmarks at your resolution and see which card performs in your games...

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Thanks, i've got to admit i'm pretty surprised even the 512mb 4870 out performs the GTX 260 even if it's just by a small margin. Although seeing how close the two are, and the prices being similar as well i'm back to my original question. Which cards play what games the best?

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Seems like a popular card, are the overclocked editions worth looking at?

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

I had planned on keeping it yes, would it really be such a burden to my system performance? Essentially if I keep it the GTX 260 (216) should be able to handle most anything smoothly with this screen's resolution, or I could spend ~200$ on a new screen only to see my frames drop off for a clearer picture?(Am I understanding that correctly?) If so... that makes no sense to me as I rarely set my games to max graphics the performance is my main concern. Personally i'll take smooth game play and shots that register where I put them while gaming over eye candy hands down.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
That GTX 260 will run your resolution just fine with all eyecandy on your games....mine runs great at 1680x1050 with my dated amd cpu...

1280x1024 is a fine resolution for fps titles albeit won't games like coh gain from it...you will have alot more room to play?

The only thing you gain with a resolution above 1280x1024 is fov...1440x900 which is essentially your resolution in a different shape has a larger left to right fov.....but its not enough to hamper your gameplay for an upgrade

So imho and if i where you its not worth it...upgrading the monitor just for gaming at this point isn't really mandatory

So is battlefield 2 popular? are you talking about bad company? how are the servers? decent gameplay?

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Bad company is strictly a console game as far as I know, although EA has released the teaser for Bad Company 2 which will be supported by the PC and looks promising. As for Battlefield 2 it's a somewhat older game but still has a lot of public servers running (2000+), and is still a lot of fun. I keep finding myself coming back to it between the shiny new games just because it's down right fun to play. If you're a stickler for realism this isn't the game for you as the possibilities are endless as far as what you can do in game. Don't feel like shooting someone with your AK? Fine, find a Blackhawk strap it with C4 and look for a target :sol:

WolfLikeMe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Well coh is a game I play pretty casually, i'm more into the fps titles so I can't see myself upgrading my monitor and going for a more expensive card just to gain some fov. If fps games don't get a huge gain from high res than that's the advice I needed to hear, i'll stick with what i've planned, thanks!

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Ahh damn it...i could have sworn it came out on pc...my bad

Hmmm...i haven't played americas army since 1.8 and im a sucker when it comes to realism...

Yeah you are best off keeping your monitor at this point nothing wrong with it

Hmmm i may end up grabbing battlefield though...iv got 20$ off anything at newegg and a 30$ Bes....Worst buy gift card...it was a gift :S