"Repaired" Gigabyte DS3-P won't post.

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I hope someone can advise on a problem I've got with this board
I sent it off for repair as it kept coming up with the Bootblock recovery page
It's been returned to me today (costing me £18 in total so far in delivery costs) and it won't post
When I turn the power on, the VGA fan comes on for about 2 seconds and the device powers off
It then comes back on and repeats this process over and over
There's never any display at all

I've stripped it down to the core essentials and am only using one stick of XMS2 Memory in Slot 1, but still no go
I tried two strips of ram and also one strip in different slots, but it still does the same thing

Any advice would be appreciated

bilbat

Splendid
The usual cause of fast on-off cycling is improper paste/HSF installation. Flip the board, double check that all the pins are fully seated and locked. I can't tell you how many times people here have told me that they're sure they got a good install, and then sheepishly reported back: "guess what - one of my locking pins was cracked..." The problem itself is: system powers up, CPU immediately starts heating, can't 'spill' the heat properly to the HSF (and you'd be amazed how quickly this happens), PROCHOT 'trips', CPU (and, of course, the rest of the system - without the CU, it's a brainless lump) goes into thermal shutdown - rinse, lather, repeat...

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Yea they were indeed set properly
I reseated it three times to make sure
All 4 pins were secure
Still no go, d'oh!

bilbat

Splendid
Try this - it sometimes works to 'break' a reboot cycle:

Hold the power button on the case depressed for as long as it takes to finally shut the thing down completely...

While it's off, switch the PSU off at the back for a minute or two...

Power back up...

Have you tried a CMOS reset?