Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Running the same apps from different OS's

Last response: in Components
Share
July 10, 2009 9:07:43 AM

I asked this question in the hard drive forum, but its not strictly a HDD or OS question. What I am asking here is is it OK to run the same programs installed on a partition from both Windows 7 and XP? For instance, I have an XP, windows 7, programs partition, a games partition, a downloads partition, all on the same HDD. I installed Steam on windows xp, then installed it on windows 7 into the same folder. Launching Steam on both OS's works fine. Can I do the same for simple programs such as firefox or microsoft office? I would hate to have to create a windows 7 programs folder as well as a windows xp programs folder. Does anyone know if this is OK to do and if it is, how do you set up your partitions accordingly? Am I overkilling it, or having a bunch of partitions is probably a smart and organized idea. HDD is Caviar Black 640GB. Thanks!

More about : running apps

July 10, 2009 9:34:13 AM

I believe you will not run into problems.
WinXP and Windows 7 us the registry entry to run programs installed on THEIR system (so running Steam on WinXp starts Steam installed on WinXp and not the one installed under Windows 7), this goes for all installed programs.
This also means you will have to install all programs twice (one for WinXp and one for Windows 7). As long as they remain in separate DIRECTORIES on the same partition everything should be normal.
July 10, 2009 9:55:22 AM

C 64 said:
I believe you will not run into problems.
WinXP and Windows 7 us the registry entry to run programs installed on THEIR system (so running Steam on WinXp starts Steam installed on WinXp and not the one installed under Windows 7), this goes for all installed programs.
This also means you will have to install all programs twice (one for WinXp and one for Windows 7). As long as they remain in separate DIRECTORIES on the same partition everything should be normal.



Hi there, thx for the reply. When you say different directory, you mean like D;/steamxp and D:/steam7 right? What I want to know is if you can install D:/steam which will be accessed by both OS's. D:/ is my "games" drive.
Related resources
July 10, 2009 10:07:50 AM

I guess it will work for some and not for others. Try and You will see which work and which don't.
July 10, 2009 10:15:03 AM

t33lo said:
Hi there, thx for the reply. When you say different directory, you mean like D;/steamxp and D:/steam7 right? What I want to know is if you can install D:/steam which will be accessed by both OS's. D:/ is my "games" drive.


Hum.. You got me there...

Yes this is what I meant with different directories, but I think while you can install the same program from two different system in the same directory this might cause problems. I am not sure but when you install a program it installs all files in the designated directory and writes an registry entry. You are using the same program on two different OS, so when you install Steam in WinXp (and has been already installed under Windows 7) it has no registry entry (as it does in Windows 7). The system doesn't know the files are used by Windows 7 Steam and might overwrite some files or all of them resulting in destroying the Windows 7 steam installation.

All this said I am not sure about this.

July 10, 2009 10:27:12 AM

Yeah, you both are probably right. Guess I'll just make a games xp, programs xp, and a games 7 and programs 7 partition just to avoid issues. I mean its 640GB, shouldn't run out of space anytime soon :) . If anyone has any other suggestions on partitioning for games and programs for dual or even triple booting, I'd love to hear it. Thx!
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2009 12:09:56 PM

well, try installing them into the same location (steam i think should be ok, and most games), and let us know, worst case is you have to start all over

P.S. i have 4x640 in RAID0, i have it almost filled
July 11, 2009 9:54:27 PM

mindless728 said:
well, try installing them into the same location (steam i think should be ok, and most games), and let us know, worst case is you have to start all over

P.S. i have 4x640 in RAID0, i have it almost filled


I'll give it a shot, I'll probably install small apps twice. I'll let you know what I get to work.

Almost filled? Damn. I remember when my friend wanted a new computer he complained to his mom that a CD holds more than his HD!
!