How many radiators

Hey all, I am in the process of going with a water cooling loop for my PC. I want to cool an i7 980x and 2 GTX 480s. I've chosen an EK-CoolStream XTC 420 for my radiator. My question is, do need to add another radiator? or is the 420 rad enough? I thought about adding an EK-CoolStream XT 240 to the loop too. Is the 420 rad + a 240 rad a good way to go for what I want to cool. My case is an CooleMaster ATCS 840 full tower. Not really worried about space as this case is seriously huge!

Thanks.
26 answers Last reply
More about radiators
  1. good choice of case..360+240 would be sufficient for your set up,there are few other RAD's that will give you a bit better perf.
    http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html
    http://skinneelabs.com/ek-cs360.html

    http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/985/hydrodynamica.jpg

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. Quote:
    Is the 420 rad + a 240 rad a good way to go for what I want to cool


    Yes, this would be ideal...or 2x 320 rads. A good rule of thumb is using a 220 radiator for each CPU or GPU in your loop...or the equivalent of bigger rads.

    What pump are you planning on using?
  3. I think you definitely want at least 2 separate rads so that you can cool the water between CPU and GPUs. You have a very hot system, IMO might as well spend the little extra and upgrade the 240 to a 360.
  4. ^+1 yes 420/240 is even better
  5. wolfram23 said:
    I think you definitely want at least 2 separate rads so that you can cool the water between CPU and GPUs. You have a very hot system, IMO might as well spend the little extra and upgrade the 240 to a 360.


    I think 2X360's is harder to fit in this case
  6. A 420 and 220 would be fine...just anything that adds up to approx. 1x 220 radiators for x3 components (1 CPU and 2 GPUs). Either way, you are going to need 2 rads.

    Having extra radiator space is always fine, as long as you don't impact flow rates and can move the water.
  7. Wouldn't it be a 480 not 420? 4x120...

    Anyway, I don't really know what kind of space constraints that case has. If you can't fit a 4x and 3x, then a 4x and 2x would be fine too.
  8. It's the same principle...420 referring to 4x120. The concept is that the first number is 'X' amount of the fans...the following being the shortened version of the fan...120mm=20, 140mm=40...etc. As long as there is some info specifying what the intended reference is, usually it's fine.

    Also, most mainstream rads are still based on 120mm fans for the most part, however, some newer ones are bigger and can use 140mm fans. Most cases still use 120mm fans for reference, but others are using larger ones as well in some locations. 120mm is still used as the reference standard.
  9. Oh so the 240 is 2x140 not 2x120... That makes a difference heh. Thanks for the clarification rubix.
  10. wolfram23 said:
    Oh so the 240 is 2x140 not 2x120... That makes a difference heh. Thanks for the clarification rubix.


    No 240 is just thicker that's all
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsrx2xrare2.html
  11. Quote:
    Oh so the 240 is 2x140 not 2x120...


    Well, it depends...for most, they'd just assume its a 2x120...but depending on which forums you visit, the technical response may differ.

    Honestly, I assume they both refer to a 2x120...unless someone specifies it as a 2x140. Either way is correct in some form, due to different manufacturers using different names for similar reference sizes.

    I just assume people are using the most common reference, that the vast majority of radiators in use right now are based on the 120mm fan size. If in doubt...simply ask. :)
  12. ortoklaz said:
    No 240 is just thicker that's all
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsrx2xrare2.html


    Great something else to screw up the nomenclature.
  13. I don't think there are too many rads made yet that are 140mm...very few.

    The Admiral line from Feser is going to be one of the first to have a dedicated 120mm and 140mm product list.
  14. ortoklaz said:
    good choice of case..360+240 would be sufficient for your set up,there are few other RAD's that will give you a bit better perf.
    http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html
    http://skinneelabs.com/ek-cs360.html

    http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/985/hydrodynamica.jpg

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Thanks for the links. Very helpful. So, out of those radiators reviewed, what do you think of the Black Ice 360 and the EK XTC 240? What would my temps look like? Here's a pic of an ATCS 840 with a 320 and a 240, I like how the guy mounted the 240 to the front of his HDD cage, kinda how I'd like to mount mine, maybe a 360 up top, and a 240 in front of HDD cage.

    Thanks




  15. rubix_1011 said:
    Quote:
    Is the 420 rad + a 240 rad a good way to go for what I want to cool


    Yes, this would be ideal...or 2x 320 rads. A good rule of thumb is using a 220 radiator for each CPU or GPU in your loop...or the equivalent of bigger rads.

    What pump are you planning on using?



    Nice, what do you think of EK branded rads? I'm going to be using the Swiftech MCP655. Will just the one 655 pump be enough? actually, here is what I have selected but, not purchased just yet:

    EK-Supreme HF High Flow - CPU Water Block - FULL COPPER - "FULL NICKEL"

    EK-CoolStream Radiator XTC (420)

    EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240)

    XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Laing D5

    EK-D5 X-TOP Version 2

    EK-FC480 GTX for Nvidia GTX 480 Reference Design - Nickel/Acetal

    EK-FC Bridge TRIPLE Parallel

    EK-FC Link GeForce ( for EK SLI Bridges )

    EK-FC Link BLANK Parallel

    Yate Loon 120mm High Speed Silent Case Fan - D12SH-12 - Sleeved *for 240 rad* x2

    Yate Loon 140mm High Speed Silent Case Fan - D14SH-12 - Sleeved *for 420 rad* x3

    PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD (10FT)

    Thanks
  16. wolfram23 said:
    I think you definitely want at least 2 separate rads so that you can cool the water between CPU and GPUs. You have a very hot system, IMO might as well spend the little extra and upgrade the 240 to a 360.


    Exactly what I was wanting to know.

    Thanks.
  17. Quote:
    Will just the one 655 pump be enough?


    Yes. I use the same pump for a CPU block, SLI MCW60 waterblocks, dual MCR320 radiators and dual acrylic reservoirs that I made. With a custom top, it will perform even better.
  18. @OP
    "what do you think of the Black Ice 360 and the EK XTC 240"...its a matter of fans and the speed you want to run them at. I don't recommend a GTX360 the HWLabs GTX comes in with the highest restriction due to the 4 pass design (look at Pressure Drop Data Tables),it's a high FPI radiator that excels with medium and high speed fans the GTX series wins hands down 1800RPM and above,the CoolStream series from EK -11 Fins/Folds Per Inch (FPI)is nice I own one, the cons- moderate thermal performance/M3 screws and overall quality is not the greatest ,that would leave you with the choice of XSPC RX,Thermochill PA/TA, HW Labs SR1 or Swiftech MCR320-QP
    The only thing i would consider changing from your list would be RES..there is new kid on the block..and if every thing is true about this res .."Excellent dual and single loop performance--the single loop performance is very nearly 25% better then the stock D5--and pretty quiet operation also." it may be worth spending extra $
    http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoirs/Basic-Monsoon-D5-Dual-Bay/15093806_LsLrb#1128169278_qC93s
    http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoirs/Premium-Monsoon-D5-Dual-Bay/15033247_HHXm8#1128145323_QAz6i
  19. rubix_1011 said:
    Quote:
    Will just the one 655 pump be enough?


    Yes. I use the same pump for a CPU block, SLI MCW60 waterblocks, dual MCR320 radiators and dual acrylic reservoirs that I made. With a custom top, it will perform even better.



    Nice. My other question is, I want to go with compression fittings for my loop, based on the tube size I've selected what type, size and quantity of fittings/elbows do you recommend?

    Thanks.
  20. ortoklaz said:
    @OP
    "what do you think of the Black Ice 360 and the EK XTC 240"...its a matter of fans and the speed you want to run them at. I don't recommend a GTX360 the HWLabs GTX comes in with the highest restriction due to the 4 pass design (look at Pressure Drop Data Tables),it's a high FPI radiator that excels with medium and high speed fans the GTX series wins hands down 1800RPM and above,the CoolStream series from EK -11 Fins/Folds Per Inch (FPI)is nice I own one, the cons- moderate thermal performance/M3 screws and overall quality is not the greatest ,that would leave you with the choice of XSPC RX,Thermochill PA/TA, HW Labs SR1 or Swiftech MCR320-QP
    The only thing i would consider changing from your list would be RES..there is new kid on the block..and if every thing is true about this res .."Excellent dual and single loop performance--the single loop performance is very nearly 25% better then the stock D5--and pretty quiet operation also." it may be worth spending extra $
    http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoirs/Basic-Monsoon-D5-Dual-Bay/15093806_LsLrb#1128169278_qC93s
    http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoirs/Premium-Monsoon-D5-Dual-Bay/15033247_HHXm8#1128145323_QAz6i



    Those DD RES look sweet man! I'm still trying to read up and research everything before I pull the trigger. I'm working with an up $1000 budget for this loop. I am going away on vacation on Thursday so, I will most likely purchase everything when I get back home on Dec 30th. I will look in to the DD RES for sure.

    Thanks.
  21. tpe-331 said:
    Those DD RES look sweet man! I'm still trying to read up and research everything before I pull the trigger. I'm working with an up $1000 budget for this loop. I am going away on vacation on Thursday so, I will most likely purchase everything when I get back home on Dec 30th. I will look in to the DD RES for sure.

    Thanks.


    if you want to save some lettuce go with the barbs and 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing no need for clamps
  22. ^Yeah, that is the cheaper way to go, and provides a similar, clean look.

    Compression fittings are kind of a choice-thing...there are many different kids...may people like Bitspower ones, but there are others. I'd have to go look up some...you'd basically need fittings anywhere you'd use a barb...but you can mix and match barbs/fittings depending on if, say, your reservoir is 'hidden' and you can use barbs since it's out of sight. Just because you use a compression fitting on one end, doesn't mean you have to on the other...its preference. As long as it doesn't leak, which is the primary concern.
  23. ortoklaz said:
    good choice of case..360+240 would be sufficient for your set up,there are few other RAD's that will give you a bit better perf.
    http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html
    http://skinneelabs.com/ek-cs360.html

    http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/985/hydrodynamica.jpg

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Is sooooo preeeeeeetty :ouch:
  24. Psychoteddy said:
    Is sooooo preeeeeeetty :ouch:


    your case is nice to ,own 2 :D but not as nice as ATCS 840
  25. rubix_1011 said:
    It's the same principle...420 referring to 4x120. The concept is that the first number is 'X' amount of the fans...the following being the shortened version of the fan...120mm=20, 140mm=40...etc. As long as there is some info specifying what the intended reference is, usually it's fine.

    Also, most mainstream rads are still based on 120mm fans for the most part, however, some newer ones are bigger and can use 140mm fans. Most cases still use 120mm fans for reference, but others are using larger ones as well in some locations. 120mm is still used as the reference standard.


    :bounce: The 420 is not long enough to be 4 x 120. The company diagrams show it as 426.5 from beginning of first fan to end of last fan, and only 454.5 for the total length, including the mounting area on the ends. They DO show 4 rads and say they are 120mm rads.

    This seems confused to me.
    There does not seem to be ROOM for 4 - 120's. :non:

    Answers? :hello:
  26. Can you list the radiator you are talking about? Typically the first number in the rad is the number of fans 'spaces' it occupies. Swiftech lists their radiators as 120, 220, 320, etc. Most other vendors list them as 120, 240, 360, etc. Both are the same sizes, they are just different ways to denote 1x120, 2x120 or 3x120 radiators. Typically when expressing radiators using 140mm fans, you are going to use 140, 2x140, etc just to specify.

    It helps to use a common form, just list the rad size you are looking at in: <number of fans> x <fan size in mm>
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Water Cooling Overclocking