What HDD are you using for RAID 5?

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I have the Seagate ST31000528AS's in a RAID 5 going off of the ICH10 chip on my Evga 3x Classified and they drop out of the raid constantly thus making them impracticable. After troubleshooting with their support they said in the end that the drives were fine but that they should only be used in a RAID 1 or RAID 0 configuration. Wished it would've been more descriptive about this issue in their descriptions and specs. Luckily for me I needed to upgrade to a larger RAID 5 anyways.

So after browsing the Newegg forums I noticed quite a few people using Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB SATA drives for their RAID 5's. I don't really want to plop down the money for the drives that are considered for use in a server environment like their RE4 drives which are 2 or 3 times as much.

So my question is, what are you using in your RAID 5?
And my side question is how have you upgraded the size of your RAID 5?
I have all six slots filled and my theory is that I will replace one drive at a time with a larger drive and let it rebuild and after they're all in, use a tool to repartition the RAID... although I'm not sure what tools would be great for doing that?

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
So after reading a lot feedback and some tomshardware benchmarks I have decided to go with the Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB drives. Even at a 5400 RPM, compared to the price, heat, and overall better performnce compared to the Hitachi 7k200's, and WD 20EARS this is what drive I will use. I here's the link to the drive comparison's in case anyone is interested. Still would like a couple of opinions for patitioning and expanding the raid 5 set though. Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Read-Throughput,1010.html