Geforce 6600 and sharing DVI output

icowden

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi all,

I have a geforce 6600 which has DVI out as well as SVGA. I was contemplating running a Cat6 cable from the PC via a DVI to cat 6 on one end and cat6 to HDMI converter (or possibly just back to DVI - haven't checked inputs yet) on the other end to my television so that I can display streaming TV on the tv if I want.

The question is, is the DV out signal strong enough to cope with being split between the normal monitor and the TV or do I need some sort of switch box to choose between the two (bearing in mind the cable run is aorund 15m)?

Any ideas greatfully appreciated!

Iain

Solution
It should be strong enough, being digital and all that should not be an issue as to lose bits you would have to be using miles of poorly shielded cable.

However, you have to be certain not to wire up the hotplug pin. If you get two signals on that guy you will have nothing but headaches. I don't think (but am not sure) any other pins are used for backtalk and whatnot. You will have to make sure the hotplug pin (Pin 16) is live on whatever display you want as primary or you will be limitted in resolution and refresh rates of whatever display the GPU is detecting.

If you double the connections exactly (with pin 16) there is no telling which display the GPU will detect, it may start jumping back and forth, or it may not work at all. A...

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
It should be strong enough, being digital and all that should not be an issue as to lose bits you would have to be using miles of poorly shielded cable.

However, you have to be certain not to wire up the hotplug pin. If you get two signals on that guy you will have nothing but headaches. I don't think (but am not sure) any other pins are used for backtalk and whatnot. You will have to make sure the hotplug pin (Pin 16) is live on whatever display you want as primary or you will be limitted in resolution and refresh rates of whatever display the GPU is detecting.

If you double the connections exactly (with pin 16) there is no telling which display the GPU will detect, it may start jumping back and forth, or it may not work at all. A powered switch box would accomodate all of these issues for you (the computer woudl detect the box not the monitor)

Solution