Started with ati2dvag and got worse from there...

vr4operator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So yesterday while gaming, my computer would lock up and spit out the error 'atidvag'. So i do the research and find its a issue with ATI and Windows. So the fixes are to remove and reinstall and or update. So I reinstall, no joy. So I update the vid card still no joy. So I decide I'll update everything...including BIOS

So now when I try running anything, it will let me play or watch a video for acouple minutes, then the puter auto reboots itself.

Heres what i have:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual processor 4200+
Ultra 550w or 600w PSU (can't remember)
ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
Windows XP 32bit
8 gb ram (i know, went overboard with it being XP)

Temps remain good CPU hovers around 30 Celsius and MB around 35c

As I've updated my BIOS many times before and no issues, I didn't bother to save the old BIOS first. Now I can't revert it.

I updated the BIOS to 2205 and the BIOS I had was 2101 (which no longer even shows up on ASUS...weird)

My guess is its the new BIOS update. The whole thing is odd as the vid card has been in there since Xmas with no issues and out of nowhere the atidvag came up.

Thank for any help,

Butch

-Take out 4GB of RAM as it's useless to you.

-Check your RAM timings, frequency, and voltage to make sure it's correct.

-Check your temps to make sure they are all within reason.

You didn't say anything about your PSU, that's always a bad sign. A poorly made PSU will produce poorly regulated voltage and mimic many problems.

vr4operator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Updated the OP

Its an Ultra PSU, either a 550 or 600watt

Temps are the same they always have been.

I'll check the RAM timings, frequency, and voltage tomorrow. Not sure where to look/how to check, so I'll research it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Butch

There are good Ultra PSUs and bad ones. Some of the older ones were good for the times. Newer ones - there are some mediocre PSUs and then the X3 line is actually decent.

They were recently caught re-labeling some PSUs... I don't recall the details, but I think they labeled a bunch of PSUs as 750W when they were really 600W. I might have the numbers wrong, but it was like a 100-150W over-rating.

Anyway, that's off-track. No reason to think your PSU is bad unless you have eliminated other things.

Here:
CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

CPU-Z will tell you what your settings currently are and what they are supposed to be.

vr4operator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for the links!

Everything checked good. Temps, rpms and voltage are all within normal. The Ultra PSU is about 3 years old. But was one of the top rated at the time. I did alot of research for each component.

Driving me nuts. Getting to the point I may just suck it up and buy a new motherboard rather than bring it to someone.

Computers are like cars, you love 'em until they break down on you, lol.

Thanks,

Butch

vr4operator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So I was just trying to play some Left4Dead and noticed that my CPU seems to be running higher than normal. I think, hard to tell as I didn't pay attention when things ran fine...

But it was running 97-100% according to my g15 Logitech keyboard. Not sure how accurate it is, but its gotta be close. Anyway, the computer seems to shut down only during something that makes it work, like gaming or sometimes even watching vids on youtube and whatnot.

And my ram is running between 23% while checking mail to 55% while gaming...

Maybe this will help?

Thank you,

Butch