Advice for a total noob on 5.1 or 7.1 card

Hi

I don't know anything about sound cards, I am looking to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system and have no idea what sound card i should get for my PC
Most of what I want to use it for is watching movies and maybe a very little bit of games
any advice?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about advice total noob card
  1. How old is your PC, the built-in sound in most new-ish motherboards is good enough for 99% of the population.
  2. Devastator_uk said:
    How old is your PC, the built-in sound in most new-ish motherboards is good enough for 99% of the population.

i have a gigabyte p965-DS3, i am not sure if you consider that old or new
  3. 5.1 means 5 speakers one subwoofer 7.1 means 7 sepeakers, though i think ur pc has optical sound output whic is 7.1 out put, look on google imiges for optical sound output, its a lil black square socket, if u have that and a home cinema system with optical in it will work a treat in 7.1 or 5.1

perssonally unless ur a sound engineer or u really do some impressive stuff u have no need for a sound card.
  4. mildiner86 said:
    5.1 means 5 speakers one subwoofer 7.1 means 7 sepeakers, though i think ur pc has optical sound output whic is 7.1 out put, look on google imiges for optical sound output, its a lil black square socket, if u have that and a home cinema system with optical in it will work a treat in 7.1 or 5.1

perssonally unless ur a sound engineer or u really do some impressive stuff u have no need for a sound card.

I do have an optical output, I am not sure if it supports 7.1 though, do all optical outputs work properly with 7.1?
    while I am at it might as well ask, should I get a 5.1 or 7.1 system?
  5. 1 thing to consider here is space and wiring management. Is the room large enough? Will your speakers be able to be placed right, and wires hidden properly?
  6. they should do, though some PC games and films may only be designed for 5.1, blue ray should be 7.1 but tbh when u go to an electonics shop to buy a home cinema most are 2.1 or 5.2 very few are 7.1 simply cause its soo many speakers, 5.1 gives 5 directions of sound which is enough for the average room

like Jay said with 7 speakers its a lot of wiremanagement, id stick to 7.1

this is how id have the perfect set up...

Video:
    From PC, either HDMI or DVI
    to TV, HDMI

you can buy the cables on ebay

Sound:
    Optical from PC to Optical in home cinema

also if u have an ATI card some let the card take the sound from the motherbaord using the HDMI which is again a 7.1 signal... so if u had the right stuff u could just have a hdmi going from PC to TV carring sound and video

and then from TV to home cinema optical

this is better as u may have a PS3 bluerayplayer ect all using HDMI to transfer thier 7.1 sound so the telly can transfer all thouse sound signals over the one optical wire

because tellys have 2-4 HDMI sockets but devices only have one optical
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Movies Components