cam_03

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
hey guys, im overclocking my e8400 from 3 to 3.6ghz

all is good, was just wondering about the voltages

i have set to 1.18v from 1.3 seems to run fine, if i increase volts will this also increase heat output,
and vice vers if i decrease voltage will i get less heat but also undervoltage maybe?less performance?

you thoughts ....

No, max VID value is not the max recommended voltage.

I just clicked on the link and it worked for me.

I just cut 'n pasted the page. Unfortunately Table 3 didn't format properly.

2.6 Voltage and Current Specification
2.6.1 Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings
Table 3 specifies absolute maximum and minimum ratings only and lie outside the
functional limits of the processor. Within functional operation limits, functionality and
long-term reliability can be expected.
At conditions outside functional operation condition limits, but within absolute
maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be
expected. If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after
having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute
maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime
degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation
condition limits.
At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality
nor long-term reliability can be expected. Moreover, if a device is subjected to these
conditions for any length of time then, when returned to conditions within the
functional operating condition limits, it will either not function, or its reliability will be
severely degraded.
Although the processor contains protective circuitry to resist damage from static
electric discharge, precautions should always be taken to avoid high static voltages or
electric fields.
NOTES:
1. For functional operation, all processor electrical, signal quality, mechanical and thermal
specifications must be satisfied.
2. Excessive overshoot or undershoot on any signal will likely result in permanent damage to
the processor.
3. Storage temperature is applicable to storage conditions only. In this scenario, the
processor must not receive a clock, and no lands can be connected to a voltage bias.
Storage within these limits will not affect the long-term reliability of the device. For
functional operation, see the processor case temperature specifications.
4. This rating applies to the processor and does not include any tray or packaging.
5. Failure to adhere to this specification can affect the long term reliability of the processor.
Table 3. Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings
Symbol Parameter Min Max Unit Notes1, 2
VCC
Core voltage with respect to
VSS
–0.3 1.45 V -
VTT
FSB termination voltage with
respect to VSS
–0.3 1.45 V -
TCASE Processor case temperature See Section 5
See