CPU Cooler weight issue and power supply

fastalan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hi

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler sitting around gathering dust. Originally it was purchased for an AMD six core new built but the stock AMD fan seems to work just fine. I do have an older but still in use Pentium D computer on a micro ATX board in a spacious ATX case with an overheating problem (less so in winter but annoying during rest of the year, very very annoying during summer). We run a home business so none of the computers are for gaming.

My questions is if I install the cpu cooler on the pentium D machine:

1) Would the CPU cooler be too heavy for the micro ATX board with the tower in a vertical position?

2) The power supply on the Pentium D is only rated at 350W. Is that enough power to run the CPU cooler?

My goal is to extend the life of this unit and use it to replace another even older PC with sempron CPU as the order processing/shipping machine, but I need some temperature stability. When this PC overheats (temp passes 45c-50c, it slows down and often would hang), it's performance is actually worse during summer then the weaker PC with sempron CPU.

Thanks
Alan

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I have never seen a coolr too heavy for a mobo/CPU. Unless your shipping it.

350 watt CPU. Ohh soo weak these days. Really 350 watts?

A CPU cooler, meaning the big thing connected to the CPU with a fan to remove the heat from the CPU chip. It has a fan, or more than one to remove the heat rom the chip.

A CPU cooler is not an issue for you. It uses very few wattage for you to even worry about.

Your PSU size for any upgrades is dependant on the CPU load, not the silly minor fan you mention.

You need to learn about Power Supplies. READ>

Consider replacing the rear exhaust fan with one of substantially higher capacity (CFM). This will help the heat transfer situation. (Will increase the noise level too).

Since you mentioned 'spacious ATX case' is it possible, add an intake fan? Replacing the front intake fan with one of substantially higher capacity will help. Don't worry about trying to match the CFM intake and exhaust. As long as they are close (within 25%) things will be fine.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
1: No. Mobo's are built for these situations.

2: Yes, its good enough for simple computing.

Get a front and back 120mm (or 80mm) fans if your casing supports them. All casings have back fans so get a new one. Not the one my ^ friend suggested but a cheap cooler master. that's low in noise. Will do the job.

Where do you live?

Edit: You should clean your PC often. Get a blower and clean it once a month at least if your area is duty. Get a new thermal paste. a good one like Arctic MX-3 or 4. Coupling that with Hyper would be good enough for low temps. Usually 35-50c in summers is fine. Above that things get hot. but a PC shouldn't hang at 40-50c. That suggests Processor damage. The minimum Pentium D (805 2.66) is good enough to server your purpose and they wont ever hang on 40-50C. Even if you have local PSU, things should run just fine.

fastalan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks everyone for the comments and advices. Here are some more info:

It's a Pentium D on the Asus P5L-MX board. This cpu-mobo was installed in a smaller case in the past with a rear fan. The board only has one plug for CPU fan and one more for case fan, thus I wasn't able to add more fans to the system. Currently, I've moved the cpu-mobo to an older and larger spare ATX case and is leaving the case cover open at this time. I'm up in Canada in Vancouver BC and the temp is rather cool at this time, however, for sure the overheat issue will come back once the weather has warmed up (we don't have air cond). I do spray away the dust often on this computer but only in the last 2 years when I started to realize the heat issue.

I am going to take Fetal's advice and just re-do the thermal paste this weekend and test it out with both stock and the bigger fan. If the CPU is still good I'd like to keep this unit for another 2-3 years.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
You can add more fans easily. There are converters
4126624.jpg
. you can add as much as you want, but its about how much you can fit in. Two are enough for your work. If you can (as i said) install a front inlet then good. You can change the rear one to better one i.e Cooler master or Antec. hmm never knew Canada would get that hot to cause you frustration :p. The plus for having front inlet fan is that it helps in hard disk cooling and pulls in fresh air.

fastalan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I have re done the CPU thermal paste using Arctic Silver 5 by following their instruction very carefully for the P4D CPU. Guess what, there is absolutely no changes in temperature with stock Intel fan, CPU still hovering around 38-40C idle. I am going to let it settle down a few more days and make another update later.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I have seen p4's (not D) getting crap after 5 years of usage. They start shutting down in 41~C range.

Yeah let it settle. If you dont see any difference, then install the Hyper.

fastalan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Ok, I am making my final comment on this post.

Re-applying with arctic silver 5 saves at most 1-2 C degree on this Pentium D with stock Intel fan.

Moving the mobo+P4D to another smaller case, one rear fan, blocking off some case air vents and only allow air to flow in from the very lowest vent, reduces temperature by another 3-4 degrees. Air flow management helps a lot.

The biggest improvement is by simply dumping the P4D CPU. Ordered an used C2D E6600 for $60, pop it in, and instantly the idle temperature drops to 28c. I can't believe how hot that P4D was, it was getting bad.

Right now, I am happy with the condition of this unit. It's cooler and much faster than the old P4D CPU.