Memory: 6gb ddr2 800mhz
HDs: 2 HDs of 1TB each 32mb cache
MB: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
PSU: 650w cooler master
Video Cards:
Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
Sapphire 4870 1GB Toxic OC'ed

(Video cards are on CrossFireX)

I've just acquired the Sapphire 4870x2, and I tested it alone before doing the crossfire, and I have to say it deeply disappointed me on Crysis Warhead, with 27 FPS, which is basically 5 fps higher than the previous 4870 Toxic.
What happens is: When I do the crossfire with those cards Crysis runs at around 7 FPS, Fallout 3 runs ok on the highest quality (although I don't know how to see the FPS), HAWX runs ok (also dont know where to see FPS), Call of Duty 4 runs excellently (dont know FPS), Age of Conan runs at 30 FPS.

Another little problem, the video cards seem to be overheating? It smells like something is burning. I'm on idle right now and Ati Overdrive says its at 88 degree Celsius.

CPU Temperature: 40 Celsius
Motherboards Temperature: 57 Celsius

What is wrong?
April 27, 2009 8:14:45 PM

Hmm that doesnt sound right...

WHat resolution and game settings are you playing at?

Download Fraps http://www.fraps.com/ to measure FPS.

Make sure you have bridges properly connected and that you have crossfire enabled under CCC Crossfire setting
April 27, 2009 11:10:38 PM

Yeah, it wasn't right indeed, something just burnt in my computer. There really was a faulty smell but I chose to ignore it, and continue to test the crossfire technology with 3D Mark. What happened next is that in the middle of the test the computer gave out and everything got turned off, including the light of the motherboard, I initially thought it was the PSU, but I tested it on another machine and it worked ok. But on my motherboard it just doesn't go anymore. I'm suspecting the motherboard gave out, I'm going to test the video cards now to see if they are ok.

Have anyone any idea of why this might have happened?
I had trouble with the motherboard overheating since day 1 that I bought it, I use to leave a fan on its side, but then I just decided to leave it be.
Normal temperature would be 50C for her (when it was idle), and ASUS say it should be up to a maximum of 45C. And with crossfire it was 57C.
God, I HATE ASUS, this isn't the first asus motherboard with heating problems I had.
Related resources
April 28, 2009 4:31:40 AM

Wow dude, that sucks..... I havent used ASUS in a while, their new mobos seem to be pretty good with High quality capacitors.
I myself have Gigabyte.
Was your CPU Overclocked? Did you also overclock the NorthBridge?

If your mobo is not rated for OCing I wouldnt mess with any of the BIOS settings, like CPU Clock Mulitiplier, Voltage settings and etc.

It sounds more like some componenet on the motherboard was drawring to much power and creating heat. Video cards were not the problem for sure since they have their own power cables.

My Guess is either CPU or your chipset, north bridge or south bridge. Also if one of the heatsinks on these components was not properly attached you might burn your mobo.

It happend to me a while back, I burned a brand new Gigabyte mobo, but it was under warranty so the retailer gave me a new one.

Hope your cards are not damaged.

Cheers
April 28, 2009 1:57:51 PM

I would even use a mobo that was 57C! thats really high and probably what the burning smell was.

you could try resetting the cmos i suppose or take the battery out for 10 mins then see if you can power on but as everything in you pc seems to be hot, maybe its time to buy a new case!

my mobo was getting up to 49c and i just wasnt happy at all so bought a new case and it doesnt go above 33c now.

also 650w is pushing it a bit for that system.
April 28, 2009 3:33:13 PM

You guys gotta be kidding me, that power supply is being way too stressed, you are lucky your computer even boots. I wouldn't suggest using anything less than a High quality 800W PS for Tri-fire 4870's.

My preference is the Zalman 850W, which I use to power my tri-fire rig.

This is clearly the issue.
April 28, 2009 3:46:44 PM

I am correcting myself... It also depends how many USB devices and hard drives do you have in your system.

800W PSU and more would be a way to go.
April 29, 2009 4:07:08 AM

Updating the situation:
Turns out the motherboard didn't die, the PSU turned itself off and the stabilizer burnt (that was the origin of the faulty smell).

I went off and bought a 850w PSU, motherboard still keeps at 57C and Crysis still runs on 7 FPS on crossfire (4870x2 + 4870x1 toxic 1gb).

I am convinced the problem is the motherboard, I tested on my friend house and he has a P5Q-E, and it worked great, and his MB temperature was 39 C. Well, I bought a P5Q-E now, it'll arrive sometime next week.

Maybe P5W DH Deluxe doesn't support a Triway?
April 29, 2009 5:47:22 AM

Well my Gigabyte mobo temps when not gaming are at 42C when gaming they can go up to 56C max but no more than that.
Crossfire creates a lot of heat.. So you need a good air circulation.

I have a Lian Li case with four fans. My whole room heats up when gaming for more than couple of hours.. AC is a must :) 
!