• ISO
  • USB
  • USB Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 5, 2010 1:22:06 AM

how you can burn iso image into usb drive?

More about : burn iso usb

a b G Storage
November 5, 2010 1:43:11 AM

I don't think you can. Are you thinking about installing linux from a usb drive? There are ways designed specially to do this, which you can find with a simple search. But the only way that you could make a usb drive run like a cd drive is to have some way to put an iso9660 format or emulator on it - and I don't think that that's possible.
On the other hand, if you are trying to do this from within an operating system and not on boot up, there are virtual cd drives which take iso files.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 4:31:15 PM

how can I burn an iso file to the usb drive ? like vista's iso file to burn on usb drive !
m
l
May 2, 2012 4:40:09 PM

thanks a lot shenderson
m
l
May 5, 2012 12:46:10 PM

Quote:

PowerISO is a good software for this purpose, give it a try.
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:15:29 PM

Easiest method is to use Rufus (available at http://rufus.akeo.ie/)!
Be sure "Create a bootable disk using: ISO Image" is checked &
click on the icon to the right to select the bootable ISO. You will
probably also have to run setup on computer boot up to put
usb first in boot priority so you can boot from usb. Rufus worked
perfectly the first time I used it & I have booted two different
computers using the usb I created with it. Best thing about
this program is no installation is required.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
November 29, 2013 9:55:58 PM

If you did want to put vista's iso on the USB drive it would proably be far too big. If it is Linux, you can but you have to check the MD5 Sum. I got a really good iso.usb tutorial on Wiki.answers. Hope you find this useful!
March 25, 2014 7:51:17 PM

Rufus worked well and was much much faster than unetbootin.
m
l
Anonymous
March 27, 2014 10:35:01 AM

Whatever you do DON'T use cnet.com's iso to usb installer on downloads.com. I installed it and it put a lot of adware, spyware, and illegal search engines on my PC. Fortunately it's all working now.
m
l
April 18, 2014 10:44:56 AM

My antivirus tool, Vipre, tells me that wintoflash contains adware, so do NOT use it.
m
l
April 18, 2014 10:52:50 AM

wikki43 said:
how can I burn an iso file to the usb drive ? like vista's iso file to burn on usb drive !

If you want to burn an OS disk or USB thumb drive from and iso file, you can use the windows iso download tool, which you can acquire from this link:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.H...
m
l
a b G Storage
July 4, 2014 9:59:25 AM

CarlHerrmann said:
UNetbootin is amazing. Try that.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I can vouch for this tool. I have installed everything from Ubuntu to Windows 8.1 from flash drives prepared with unetbootin. The two places I ran into problems were Debian netinstall and pfSense. The debian netinstall image has a step where it always looks for a physical optical drive. If you're booting from a thumb drive it will error out and quit. For pfSense I have had the best luck using their .img files and using a dd like tool to do a raw write to the flash drive.
m
l
July 11, 2014 12:28:59 PM

mhd_1 said:
Quote:

PowerISO is a good software for this purpose, give it a try.

Good Idea, also try UltraISO
m
l
July 11, 2014 12:56:59 PM

Anonymous said:
Whatever you do DON'T use cnet.com's iso to usb installer on downloads.com. I installed it and it put a lot of adware, spyware, and illegal search engines on my PC. Fortunately it's all working now.

Unfortunately, a lot of good tools have been recently packed with software that has been marked as Malware/Adware/Spyware, even Google Toolbar has been marked as Malware by Eset and MalwareBytes.. The trick is to determine the proper opt-out settings as you are installing, usually by selecting "Advanced Install".

For Example, "Unlocker 1.9.2" from Major Geeks, a site which hosts many software tools. All you need do is run the installer, then choose Advanced Settings, you will be prompted to Opt Out of installing the Babylon Delta Toolbar that is bundled. But, since the Malware is bundled into the installer, yo have to shut off any active Software Protection until you are done installing it - After which you can delete the installer.

Even ImgBurn comes bundled with a bunch of Adware like this, and during the install, you have to choose not to install each piece of malware, there are several in ImgBurn. If you are being asked for Permission, look carefully on the installer to see what exactly you are granting permission for, sometimes they make it look like you are granting permission for ImgBurn, but you are not. Just click NO on every item until the Malware Bundle is done.

Just remember, the tools are usually good tools, because they are packed with Malware, does not change that - The developers of the Tools never wanted to have such software bundled with their tool, but unfortunately, they signed a deal for distribution, and the distributors are the ones who attach the spy/malware.

Any installer you download from the Net should be met with suspicion, always run any advanced mode it offers, and never click on "yes" for any additional features.

m
l
July 11, 2014 1:00:20 PM

elel said:
CarlHerrmann said:
UNetbootin is amazing. Try that.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I can vouch for this tool. I have installed everything from Ubuntu to Windows 8.1 from flash drives prepared with unetbootin. The two places I ran into problems were Debian netinstall and pfSense. The debian netinstall image has a step where it always looks for a physical optical drive. If you're booting from a thumb drive it will error out and quit. For pfSense I have had the best luck using their .img files and using a dd like tool to do a raw write to the flash drive.

Thank you, I will try this one out. Some of the other suggestions were less than stellar,

m
l
July 11, 2014 1:03:06 PM

shenderson11 said:
Yes, you can burn iso files to a usb. Go here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Universal-Extract...

This will take 3 minutes. There are many other tools to put XP, Vista, and even Windows 7 on a USB drive.
Know what you're talking about before you go and post.

Thank you for this suggestion, but is appears to not be able to transfer over any boot sectors, I just ran it for a copy of Hiren's Boot CD v13, and it crammed the the Boot IMA file into a folder named [boot] - Unless this is what it is supposed to do? Usually the Boot image is hidden, so I doubt if this will boot, I'll try it though.

m
l
July 11, 2014 1:19:18 PM

thriftee said:
Rufus worked well and was much much faster than unetbootin.

Yes, this looks Promising, I'm trying it out. This one gives you several choices as to how you wish to create a bootable flash, including the newer UEFI options. It appears to be very fast, at least with a CD-sized image.

I have recently lost a hard drive where I had stored a few tools I used for this purpose. hence my interest in this thread. Many thanks to everyone who posted suggestions..

m
l
April 16, 2015 6:17:45 AM

elel said:
I don't think you can. Are you thinking about installing linux from a usb drive? There are ways designed specially to do this, which you can find with a simple search. But the only way that you could make a usb drive run like a cd drive is to have some way to put an iso9660 format or emulator on it - and I don't think that that's possible.
On the other hand, if you are trying to do this from within an operating system and not on boot up, there are virtual cd drives which take iso files.

Rufus mate. it works wonders, all automated and noobishly easy to use
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
m
l
a b G Storage
April 16, 2015 6:45:02 AM

another vote for rufus - just used it for first time last week to create a bootable copy of windows 7 installation disk and had no issues, no malware, etc - just be sure to download from rufus's web not cnet etc
m
l
April 21, 2015 11:38:56 AM

I need to move a CentOS 6.6 .iso from my linux machine to a VM Workstation running on a Win8.1 machine. Is rufus the way to go?
m
l