Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Computer
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2009 8:21:47 PM

I am trying desperately to update the bios on my gigabyte mobo. I am pretty computer savvy, and have been at this a long time, although some how this is my first time flashing a bios.

I have tried every thing. Gigabyte offers a utility to flash from windows called @bios. I have tied this multiple times under varying circumstances, and the end result is always either the computer freezing, or flashing a blue screen and then rebooting. Although it sounds bad, the computer is left un harmed when this happens.

I have also tried flashing via USB storage device, but every time I enter the qflash utility and connect the flash drive with the bios on it, it freezes before I can even select flash from drive. The only things I havent tried are flashing from a floppy ( I dont have one) and making a boot cd ( I cant find any solid instructions on how to do this)

I already restored the default bios setting, but this didnt help either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really would like to get this done. Here is some info on my computer.

Gigabyte ep43-ud3l MOBO

Intel Q8200 CPU Overclocked to 2.9ghz ( Restored default when attempting to flash)

4 Gigs GSKILL RAM

EVGA 9800GTX+ Superclocked edition graphics card

More about : gigabyte ep43 ud3l bios wont flash

a c 242 V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 8:51:26 PM

Have you contacted Gigabyte about your problem? Your motherboard could be defective.
September 22, 2009 9:05:22 PM

Yeah, I sent them a message and am waiting on reply, but if it is defective I dont think they will rma will they? I have had it for like 5 months or so now... :(  There MUST be a way. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :) 
Related resources
a c 242 V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 9:27:01 PM

If it doesn't have a jumper to disable flashing the BIOS and it won't flash via Qflash (I wouldn't use @BIOS), then your options are limited.
September 22, 2009 9:39:33 PM

I cant seem to locate any such jumper. Does any one know for certain that one exists on my spacific board? If there is, then its well hidden, although I do have a double wide 9800gtx+ that is covering a good portion of my mobo, so I suppse it could be under there.
a c 242 V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 9:42:13 PM

Have you read your manual? I also doubt there's a jumper on it, but if so, it would be indicated in the manual. I know for sure that the GA-EP45-UD3P doesn't.
September 22, 2009 9:44:33 PM

I actually just got done thumbing threw the manual, and it does not mention a jumper. Also, I have read that you need to disable hyper threading in order to flash the bios, and although my q8200 is said to suppert hyper threading, I cant seem to find the option in the bios.
a c 242 V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 10:01:42 PM

Your Q8200 doesn't support hyper threading, therefore you won't find an option to disable it. Hyper threading is available on LGA775 P4 processors and that's why your manual refers to it.
September 22, 2009 10:27:48 PM

Yeah, I wasnt sure on that. I googled it quikly but didnt really confirm. This is getting SO irritating. From what I can tell it should be working, save the fact that its not working.
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 10:29:19 PM

1. NEVER FLASH BIOS VIA WINDOWS.

2. Was the flash drive you used for QFlash formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?
September 22, 2009 10:36:51 PM

It was fat32 if im not mistaken, but I would need to double check that to be certain, but since im at work at the moment...
September 23, 2009 6:22:59 PM

I'm building a new computer. I got a Bytecc, Inc. 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive for it from MicroCenter. It cost $11.99.

I'm not going to install it in the case. When I need it I'm going to open the side of the case (Antec 900) and hook up the cables. I have never owned a computer for which I have not eventually needed a floppy.

I have seen a number of people comment that they don't have floppies, because nobody uses them, and they will never need them. They are wrong. Eventually every computer will need a floppy even if it is to install XP on a system that has a SATA hard drive or to flash the BIOS.

Get a floppy and flash your BIOS. It won't cost you much, it will take care of your problem, and you will already have it on hand the NEXT time you need it.
September 23, 2009 6:55:11 PM

Prescott_666 said:
I'm building a new computer. I got a Bytecc, Inc. 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive for it from MicroCenter. It cost $11.99.

I'm not going to install it in the case. When I need it I'm going to open the side of the case (Antec 900) and hook up the cables. I have never owned a computer for which I have not eventually needed a floppy.

I have seen a number of people comment that they don't have floppies, because nobody uses them, and they will never need them. They are wrong. Eventually every computer will need a floppy even if it is to install XP on a system that has a SATA hard drive or to flash the BIOS.

Get a floppy and flash your BIOS. It won't cost you much, it will take care of your problem, and you will already have it on hand the NEXT time you need it.

Thanks you for your reply, and to every one who responded. I finally managed to get is all sorted. I ended up using my PSP to flash the bios. I smply formatted its memory stick to fat32, loaded the bios file onto it and flashed in q-flash.
!