Sign in with
Your question

Best power supply for custom gaming PC

Last response: in Components
July 10, 2009 7:41:57 PM

I'm building a gaming PC & am looking for a recommended power supply. I'm an Antec guy, that's my preffered power supply of choice. Although, to be honest, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to power supplies, I just go on the fact that one of my friends that builds PC's regulary for himself & his friends, told me a few years ago that Antec is the best. If anyone can recommend a better or comparable brand, I'd appreciate it.

Here is the system specs I'm building:
CPU: Intel Core I7 920
MoBo: Asus P6T
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900
RAM: GB Corsair Dominator
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 (Going single at first & then considering dual later)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Mid Tower

I initially bought the Antec 750w power suppply but this guy that knows tons more about comps than I do, tells me if I want to run dual vid cards, I need a minimum of 1000w of power. So now I ask if there's a recommended power supply for the system I'm building. Thanks.

More about : power supply custom gaming

July 10, 2009 8:25:17 PM

1000w for dual ???? NO WAY !

a 750W cn feed a SLI GTX285 EZ.

My entire system pump lil under 450W on FULL load ( CPU+GPU @ 100% ). IM WCed, OCed, 10 fans total.... and stil unable to reach 450W .... SLIing (my P5Q cant, but imagine .. ) my sytem would take this to 600-650W under full load.

Remember that you will never experiement an apps that use 100% of both. While playing GTA4 its in the 300-350w.

You can EZly CF this HD4870 with a Antec 750 but ill prefer a Corsair 750.
a c 148 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2009 8:54:09 PM

Your psu is a good one, and capable of 4870 crossfire. Here is a link to the official ati requirements:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...
It recommends 600 watts and 4 pci-e psu connectors. You are good.

Perhaps your expert friend was suggesting that you use a single card, up to the power of a GTX295 before going to dual cards. At that point, dual GTX295 will need something close to 1000 watts.
Related resources
July 10, 2009 8:55:23 PM

Cool, thanks. I'm just looking to make sure I'm not going to have to replace it later on, I'm looking to be able to play my games at Max settings & not suffer FPS issues.

Edit: newbie question here: If it says SLI certified on the components I'm buying, does that mean it's also good enough for Crossfire? Should I just not worry about it since the system components should be good enough for either SLI or Crossfire anyway just based on the specs of each respective component.
July 10, 2009 8:58:14 PM

CF 4870 or CF 4850 ( both 1gb ) is really cheap and GOOD. Especially for the CF **HD4860** 1gb taht can be found under 200$ for both card.

** SRY edit, HD4850 !!! not 4860 ;)  **
July 10, 2009 11:13:59 PM

Cool thanks... any recommendations or upgrades to any of the components I've mentioned? I've bought most of them, but I've kept the receipts & are unopened. Essentially I want to play my games at max settings.

I've chosen ATI over NVIDIA, although I was considering going with the Geforce GTX 295, but I've had some negative experience with NVIDIA & only positive with ATI. I'd still be open to giving NVIDIA another try, but not if my ATI Radeon can perform just as well without any actual noticeable differences.

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
July 11, 2009 12:40:11 AM

You're good to go, the Antec300 is a bit on the small side, but everything will fit.
July 11, 2009 12:58:34 AM

cool... would the Antec 900 be a little better? or is there another case you can recommend for gaming purposes? I'd like to keep it at under $150 & if possible at under $100. If the 300 is still my best bet at those prices... then cool :-D

Thanks Again. :-D
a c 148 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
July 11, 2009 2:16:13 AM

rodroy said:
Cool, thanks. I'm just looking to make sure I'm not going to have to replace it later on, I'm looking to be able to play my games at Max settings & not suffer FPS issues.

Edit: newbie question here: If it says SLI certified on the components I'm buying, does that mean it's also good enough for Crossfire? Should I just not worry about it since the system components should be good enough for either SLI or Crossfire anyway just based on the specs of each respective component.

Sli certified does not mean much, except to marketing. Nvidia extracts a fee to allow it. Besides that it only means that it will run two unspecified vga cards in sli.
July 11, 2009 2:32:52 AM

yes, a 350W PSU can be SLI certified ... to run a SLI 8500gt ...
July 11, 2009 3:04:44 AM

The Antec 900 is a good gaming case and only costs $108 at newegg.

I like my SILVERSTONE Kublai Series KL01. Its just a little smaller but I like the door on front. It also has a setup in front to swap out a hard drive - like for use with backups - but I have not gotten around to using it yet. It's $95AR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 12, 2009 2:36:23 AM

im in love with my RC690, never had any heat issue and have lots of space, tools less, cbl management and much more. + a fan the BLOW to the GPU !
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2009 1:06:21 AM

hey evryone im a pc i got a 8200 xfx geforce motherboard and i got one problem it wont even turn on i got a 425watts psu do i need a better psu or am i missing something thanks
!