Net Computer & Game Computer: Two in One?

clebergr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
There’s a motherboard capable of turn on/off a heavy graphics card and simultaneously enabling/disabling
a video onboard from inside Windows? This would instantly changes the machine from a high power gaming computer into a low power Internet/Office computer. That’s my dream computer, and I suppose, of many people as well.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Why not look into something that has say a 4670 as your video card? It's a decent entry level gamer card, but not too expensive, and requires no external power connector. So power consumption is low unless you ramp up the graphics. Even then though, I don't think it uses anymore than like 75 watts? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Get a $300 netbook for the internet. It is more flexible than having to use your monster Gaming machine for everything and provides some security from viruses and other malware since you can do your general browsing from the Netbook and just reformat the disk if you get infected.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The technology has been around for a long time, nVidia calls it "HybridPower". The card doesn't power down completely, but enters an ultra-low-power state (like sleep mode). The onboard doesn't turn off completely in 3D, but instead becomes a super-low-power semi-passive interface.

Here's nVidia's list of motherboards:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli_desktop.html

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

The problem with that though is that you have to go with an nvidia chipset for hybrid power, which tends to be a dice roll.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
get a motherboard with the amd 770 780 790 chipset get the newer 750 southbridge
draws 10 watts power compared with 26 for an intel chipset
ttp://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/amd-770-790-chipsets.html
use AMD Power Monitor to to put your cpu in a power saver mode mine goes from 2600mhz X2
1.3v to 1000mhz 1.1v and get a sapphire 4830 downclocks itsrlf in 2d mode to 160 gpu
250 memory should be pretty good to go not sure if the sapphire 4850 is the same ?
and you can overclock from windows when needed with AMD\OverDrive utility