Sign in with
Your question

I just picked up and 120GB OCZ Revodrive for $220!

Last response: in Storage
November 5, 2010 9:34:10 AM

Newegg dropped the price on this bad boy to $270 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Theres a promo code (EMCYTZT217) for an additional $50 off. I don't know how much longer that code will last, I got it a couple days ago and it said only 48 hours, but it worked for me, sweet deal.
a c 126 G Storage
November 5, 2010 10:07:16 AM

Keep in mind all SSDs are getting cheaper now that third generation SSDs are coming; not just the RevoDrive, but congrats!

If you like, you can test whether the TRIM function works when booting with my ZFSguru distribution. It should be one of two ways to restore performance on RevoDrive, as HDDErase cannot do this and Windows cannot either.

If you want to test this, give me a hint and i'll give you instructions.
November 5, 2010 11:14:09 AM

I've been reading about using Linux to run HDDErase for a Revodrive, but sure I'm open to any new ideas. This is my first SSD so I'd like to learn as much as I can.
Related resources
November 5, 2010 11:59:55 AM

From my understanding, the Revodrive has an internal RAID 0 configuration so I'm just going to use a single drive with the on board RAID controller.
a b G Storage
November 5, 2010 12:26:51 PM

I would not worry about performance degradation. The Sandforce drives can take a pounding before they really show a significant performance drop, unlike the older drives that use controllers like Indillinx's one. Some specific workloads negate the benefits of the Sandforce controller's compression function and also the benefits this function has on retaining performance, but these workloads are mostly working with random data. The only time you're really going to write random data is when you do full drive encryption or when you use a program that writes random data just for the sake of it (like IOMeter).
a b G Storage
November 5, 2010 12:36:35 PM

TRIM isn't everything, and it certainly doesn't solve every problem on its own. In fact it only solves one problem.
!