CPU Temperature Monitoring

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I have AMD Phenom II X6 1055t CPU that has a maximum temperature limit of 62 C. I am monotoring CPU Temps with Coretemp and HW Monitor. Both show Core Temps about the same, 22-23 C at idle. But HWMonitor also shows 3 more readings, TMPIN0, TMPIN1, and TMPIN2, which are different than the Core reading of 22 C.

So when I try to keep CPU temp below 62 C, which one do I watch? Core temp (which is 22 c at idle) or other 2 TMPIN0 and TMPIn1. It can not be TMPIN2 because it is already too high at idle, 79 C. TMPIN0 is 7 C higher at 29 C, and TMPIN1 is 11 C higher at 39 C.

Temps.jpg

So I run IntelBurn tset to load the CPU to 100% and temps increase. According to Coretemp Core is at 52 C, but TMPIN1 is at 61 C. According to core, I am safe since 52 is less than 62 C, but according to HWMonitor TMPIN1, temp is 61 C, only 1 C below max, and I should reduce my clock.

So which temp I watch?

TempOC.jpg

Solution
please..drop TMPIN subject ,core temp is the one to watch..if your temp. is 49C under load "core temp" you still have some head room for oc

when you look at core-temp (application) it won't even show TMPIN

EDIT;

SYS = TMPIN0 = Motherboard
CPU = TMPIN1 = CPU ( CPU heatsing temp, NOT the CPU itself)
MCH = TMPIN2 = Northbridge

I'm not 100% sure tho. I have seen TMPIN2 at 128C it could be sensor issue :D

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

TMPIN0 would be the one you want to keep your eye on!! That is your CPU temp. Do NOT use core temps core temps as your guide. I believe TMPIN1 is your mobo.

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

TEMPIN0 is only 30 C during load, and 29 C at idle (please see the figures above) that can not be correct.

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

So when coretemp gives 52 C at load but HWmonitor is 61 C, coretemp is correct, and I am way below the max 62 C for 1055t?

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

I need confirmation that CPU temp I should be monitoring is Core in HWMONITOR, not TMPIN0 or TMPIN1. Because if that is correct, I can overclock higher where the Core is at 60 C. On the other hand if the TMPIN1 should be the one I should be monitoring, any higher clock and CPU will exceed the 62 C and possibly toast.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
jhaveri... coretemp is not giving you tmpin readings at all... its giving you core temp reading... thats all...

As far as max temps... the Tcase max is 61C and Tctl max is 70... tmpin0 is mobo/system/chasis temps and tmpin1 is your cpu temp...

AMD always say to trust the bios temps as they can verify that reading only... so check whether the cpu temp in your bios reading is nearest to which temp reading in HWM...

try Hardware Mania Blackbox... it offers comprehensive monitoring of temps as well as volts... maybe that would help...

banthracis

Distinguished

Please don't quote Tcase numbers without an explanation, they never do anything except confuse people.

For AMD processors 62C is nowhere near the max safe temp, so you're fine.

Tcase is a very specific scenario used in industry testing. It's defined as maximum operation temperature above ambient for a CPU as a set ambient. For Intel standard is 39c, not sure if AMD is the same.

The actual maximum operating temp(TTV) would be T ambient + T case. In the case of Intel processors, this is 108C. Though the processor throttles at about 105C.

Tcase is not very meaningful as this maximum is defined under specific conditions temp. Thermal envelope of hardware will change depending upon current temp as thermal resistance varies with temp.

As for the reason you have diff temp readings. Core temps measure temps inside the CPU, HW monitor and Speedfan take outside surface of CPU temps, hence a difference, though it's usually Core temps giving a higher number, not the other way around.

In general though, software temp readings always have a degree of error.

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Thanks banthracis. As abully requested, I checked BIOS reading, and it is same as TMPIN1 in HWMONITOR.

Which means that at load, my CPU temp is 61 C read by TEMPIN1, and not 52 C - the Core Temp.

You mention that for AMD, 62C is nowhere near max safe temp. So is the max safe temp higher or lower than 62C.

If it is higher than 62 C in TMPIN1, I will be OK with this overclock. If lower, I will have to reduce FSB.

banthracis

Distinguished
All processors cores CPU's/GPU's have TTv >100C.

Real world, I wouldn't be worried about impact on system life until temps get above mid 80's C.

Bear in mind while enthusiast's go crazy over low temps, in the PC industry, especially with laptops, temps in the 90's C are considered perfectly normal and fine (very common in Apple laptops).

Silicon degradation is either a logirithmic or exponential curve (forgot which off top of my head) in regards to temps, so the difference on system life btwn 90c and 100C is greater than the difference btwn say 40C and 90C.

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Thanks again sir. I read so many posts last night on this topic that my head hurts. I was worried about the mention of staying below 55 C (not even 62 C) for AMD Phenom II X6 1055t processor. Based on your advice, I should not worry with my TMPIN1 i.e. CPU temp near 61 C. Actually, I may be able to even increase FSB from current 250 to 285 and try 4 GHz OC. Before I do that, I appreciate if you confirm that your comment is indeed about the AMD 1055t. You being Veteran on the forum, I take your advice very seriously.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

are you trying to reinvent the wheel here..? why would you want to advise some one with your own empty explanation ?

@OP your processor max safe temp. is 71C
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=652&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

use HWmonitor for your temps

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

My CPU is 125 Watts, so max is lower at 62 C.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?detailId=641&id=641&id=652

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Thanks. So with 62 C max, am I near danger zone at 61 C, and reduce the clock ?

banthracis

Distinguished

I already defined Tvv in my earlier post.

Silicon degradation is the term for why CPU's are damaged due to high heat and voltage.

You once again linked a Tcase number, which for the LAST TIME is wrong.

AMD is nice enough to define everything. See pg 18 of data sheet
Tcase 70c, ambinet 48C so Tvv would be 118 C. They even define the changed thermal profile due to their stock HSF on pg 19, which is where the 71c comes from.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/43375.pdf

Stop spreading false information. Read the data sheet or leave the electrical engineering to the electric engineers.

edit: Tcase for 125 W CPU's is defined at 44c ambinet, so Tvv would be 105C. See thermal profile 2 in data sheets.