64 Bit - Windows 7 vs. Windows XP

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Much to my delight, I noticed just tonight that there really does exist a Windows XP 64 Bit OS.

Having found that, many of us that are about to cross over from 32 Bit OS's to 64 Bit for our DAW's would otherwise be sad to say goodbye to our versions of XP, which we are sort of 'joined at the hip' to by now.

Especially after the BS Vista roller-coaster nightmare.

Although I have heard improvements of Windows 7, my girl's Window 7 starter seems like just another extension of Vista and almost had me throwing her laptop clear across the room out of an all-to-familiar frustration.

So has any one tried and/or using Windows XP 64 Bit for their DAW?

If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,

Jim

SONAR X1 Producer works on X64, perfectly.

Not all programs or peripherals work with X64 (mainly scanners and older games).

Before you go wiping out a good computer to install X64, make sure you can get all drivers for everything.

Make a record of what they are, such as the exact audio board(s) you may be using, video, networking, etc.

Obtaining drivers is the single biggest challenge of adding/switching to X64.

ender2003

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
The 64-bit OS hit XP very late in its life cycle, and the hardware developers did not support it very well with drivers. That is why XP x64 never made it very big. If you are looking for a good implementation of 64-bit, go with Windows 7. You should be able to find drivers for pretty much any device.

Just my 2 cents.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Ah, just as I suspected. I was thinking that after I posted this.

Yes XP might have a 64 bit version, but maybe too little too late.

The particular DAW I'm using, has the company posting that they're very set with Windows 7 64 Bit.

And it would make much more sense since XP was a 2001 release when no one was really thinking much about 64 Bit yet.

My how things have changed in just 10 years. Look at how DAWs - and plugins particularly are a whole separate market altogether now, with literally thousands of plugins out there now.

And yes, finding all the drivers.

Luckily I started looking already, and have found pretty much all that I think I will need.

Thank for the reply Buds.

Jim