Sign in with
Your question

CD-ROM not recognized by BIOS or OS

Last response: in Storage
November 5, 2010 5:55:53 PM

I am having this problem, and have read for hours about other people with the same issue. I have done everything - deleted upper and lower filters on the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

I have downloaded, installed and used "ParetoLogic DriverCure"

I have used replacement registry keys provided in a zip called "cdgone"
etc, etc...

The CD-ROM isn't even showing up in management...

BUT

one day, when I noticed this last week, I went into bios and quickly changed the CD-ROM to boot first, and enabled a option that said something like CD_ROM boot [Enabled] - It worked until I restarted, the options are the same and now it's not working again. The CD-ROM blinks, is making normal noises when reading a cd, but just won't detect the drive.

I haven't any 3rd party cd writing software on my computer such as Roxio etc. I can't reformat my computer without my CD-ROM working...

I'm really at a loss.

I'm running a Compaq F700 series, working with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (if this helps)

Please!

More about : rom recognized bios

November 6, 2010 11:28:58 AM

Sounds like maybe just a bad drive to me, I've gone through several broken DVD drives with the same symptoms. Can you try swapping it for another drive and see what happens?
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:48:37 PM

I actually did, and that one doesn't work either. I just don't know what to do!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 12:31:40 AM

Try changing the data cable.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 7:21:10 AM

Try other data cable from another computer that work, also check the power cable too then go to your BIOS make sure it is detected. Work it out first in your BIOS before going to Windows this will work. Data cable and power cable if still not working then change your optical drive.
m
l
November 17, 2010 7:36:50 PM

dEAne said:
Try other data cable from another computer that work, also check the power cable too then go to your BIOS make sure it is detected. Work it out first in your BIOS before going to Windows this will work. Data cable and power cable if still not working then change your optical drive.

It's a laptop, when I take the drive out, I don't see a data cable.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 17, 2010 7:53:11 PM

Guess I should've looked at the model.....

Yep, sounds like you got a bad drive.
m
l
!