leadtech gtx 480
4G kingmax 1600mhz cas 9 ram with heatsink
should i replace my ram with 4GB hercules 2200mhz cas 10
will it improve gaming experience?
will it create a stabilty problems?
please please answer me....

More about : 1600 cas 2200 cas

December 22, 2010 3:26:20 PM

If you over clock or use memory intensive applications, then you may realize the RAM speed increase. But for gaming you will notice minimal real world gains going from 1600 to 2200 RAM. And at those speeds, the CAS is not a factor. As far as stability goes, as long as your mobo accepts RAM at those speeds, then should run just fine.

a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2010 4:14:02 PM

Also don't forget this equation :

MemoryFrequency = BaseClock x System Memory Multiplier

Memory Frequency : What you see in the OS i.e. 1066-1333-1600 etc.
Base Clock : Frequency determining your CPU speed (Base Clock * CPU Multiplier = Core Speed) In CPU-Z, the base clock is called the Bus Speed
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) : You can see it in the BIOS (and sometimes change it). It's a ratio between the bclock (FSB/Front Side Bus/Bus Speed it has different names) and the memory. It is a multiplier of 6, 8, 10 and etc. It will be displayed like that : 2:8
In this example, it means that 2x your bclk equals 8x your memory DDR speed (and 2xmemory DDR Speed = Memory Frequency). You can simplify it like this : 1:4. You simply multiply your bclk by 4 to obtain your memory DDR Speed. Then you multiply that number by 2 to obtain your memory frequency.

What all of this means is that you will probably not be able to obtain a memory frequency of 2200MHz because your memory multiplier (or sometimes called divider) will be too low, as well as your base clock.

For example, let's say you run at stock. That means you have a base clock of 133MHz. Your SPD will be of 2:8
That means you can acheive a maximum of 1064 (1066) MHz memory frequency. If you were to buy the 2200MHz memory, to run it at these speeds, you'd need a base clock of 275MHz (with a ratio 2:8). Even if you could change the ratio to 2:10, you'd still need a base clock of 220MHz.

Even if you were to acheive a bclk of 200MHz on air (you'd need a top of the line cooler, and you'd get temps in the 80°C while stressed) you wouldn't be able to run your memory at its stock speeds (2200MHz)

If you want a more detailed explanation on how to overclock it, have a look here (it's for the i7 920, but the architecture is almost identical, so the procedure is the same).
If you want an example of a max overclock possible on air, have a look here.

So if I were you, I'd stick with 1600MHz memory.

Good luck,
al360ex
!