Motherboard and Memory Question...

OKJ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I have the following PC:
CPU: Intel Dual-core E2180. (At stock with stock cooler)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 667 (Kingston)
PSU: Generic 450watt
MOBO: Intel D945GCNL
GPU: PNY 8600GT DDR3 512MB.

Now, I am kinda upgrading My Mobo. Because my current one does not work properly anymore. Now where I live there is not much Variety in Motherboards, and they are quite expensive compared to the Global Markets. So, here are the Motherboard which suite my budget and are easily available in my Country. (Remember, we don't have major brands like Gigabyte, MSI, Foxconn, etc.)

Now since I have really regretted getting a Intel Mobo, simply because they cant OC ones processor, and I happen to have a CPU which can OC well at stock. Now I wont keep intel as an option. And since I dont know really anything about motherboard or Overclocking, you Guys will need to tell me which Mobo I can get for fulfilling this purpose.

Here are my choices: (And these are the only ones really)

Asus: P5QPL-AM
XFX: 630i (I really like this one, and I am getting a good deal on it)

Very Limited, I know. But I *Might* be able to get this one also:
Asus: P5QL-CM (The MOST expensive of the lot, and not easily available, and its a bit out of my budget)

Now, which one suites my need the best. I think XFX 630i...but the probelm is that, it does not support 667MHz Rams..right?
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/6series/630.aspx#2

Its says:
Memory Speed: (MHz) 800
So the main question for this Mobo is: Will the XFX mobo run and OC well (Lets say..2.6..OR 2.8) with my current pair of 1GB * 1GB 667MHz Rams? Or will I need to spend cash on one stick of 2GB Ram 800MHz

Thank you. And I really DONT want to upgrade my Rams...:(

You will be fine. E2180 is 2.0 GHz with 200 MHz FSB frequency. Memory speed is 400 MHz (2 X FSB). So if the chip will take it, you can OC it to 3.3 GHz while staying within the limits of your DDR2-667 RAM.

You may be able to push it farther, but you will certainly need better cooling.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
667 DDR2 will work in an 800 DDR2 mobo.

what jsc is saying is that when you overclock, you dont want your cpu running faster than your memory. specifically you dont want the fsb clock speed to be faster than the memory clock speed.

he multiplies by 2 because the speed advertised on the memory is the transfer frequency (667 M trasnfers/sec) and since its DDR (double data rate -> 2 tranfers/cycle) then your ram is 333 M cycles/second .

so you can overclock your FSB from 200 MHz to 333 MHz without your ram holding you back. after that point you would have to OC the ram as well.

OKJ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for pointing that out dextermat! But the thing is..800Mhz Ram is pretty expensive where I live if compared to US/UK etc.

Ok..I have another option now too:

P5KPL-CM. But I heard this Mobo requires good ram (800-1066) FOR a decent Overclock. Because the Ram Dividers are locked. So I should go for a unlocked ram thing Mobo?

So let me lay down my options:

Asus: P5QPL-AM
Asus: P5QPL-CM
Asus: P5KPL-CM
XFX: 630i. (If what dex said is true..then I wont prefer this board)

Now I want to know two things:
First: Which will give me the best OC without Upgrading and OC'ing my current Rams?

Second: I need as much info anyone of you guys can provide about all the mobos listed. (Just in case, my local shop is out of one and I need to decide an alternative one)

Third: Which motherboard has unlocked ram thing?