Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212+ size

Last response: in Overclocking
December 22, 2010 7:28:17 AM

I have a hyper 212+ on an i5-750 OC'ed to 3,8ghz and the temps are fine (55-57C max @ load) but i am worried about the size of the heatsink. If you own one you know what i mean. The copper ends of the cooler are merely touching the side panel which i dont have a side fan just the side of the case. Now, should i be worried about static discharge on anything else bad happening to the CPU because of that contact? I also bended the side of the case as much as i could without hurting it and the distance is less then a millimeter between that copper ends and the case. Should i be looking to get another case? The case has 18cm width and the next case i could search is a 20cm case.

More about : hyper 212 size

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2010 8:21:05 AM

I havent heard of static discharge through cpu coolers... but its possible if the cpu has a manufacturing glitch in which case the rig would have died by now...

the only problem i can foresee is temperature from the fins transferring to the case's side panel... if you have about a mm gap it should be OK... i cant see this as a reason to change the case... unless you are really bothered about it...
December 22, 2010 8:26:01 AM

The material that touches (or misses by less than 1mm) the side panel are the copper heatpipes that goes to the CPU. I am not concerned about heat transfered to the side panel i couldnt care less about that, i am worried if something is transferred to the CPU by this merely contact.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2010 10:00:23 AM

i dont see anything other than heat getting transferred...
m
l
December 22, 2010 10:46:35 AM

Well the side panel isn't a heat generating factor i guess, so if the only problem is heat that will show in the CPU temps. But now they are more than ok, so we'll wait and see.
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:41:08 AM

Best answer selected by darkling.
m
l
!