Uprgrading my PC!Help please...

RacktheMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Well, (i just registered at this site) I want to spend some money in order to upgrade my computer and i would like you to tell me your views on that...
here is wht i got:
intel 6750 2.66ghz
mobo:ga-x38-dq6 gigabyte
2x1 corsair twinx 800
ati 2900 pro 1 gb

i think about changing the ram, and maybe the processor, and also buying a ssd hard disk (30gb just 4 the o.s.)

wht you think???

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Yes you can change the ram to 4GB and overclock the processor instead, upgrading the video card woould help, maybe to a ATI 4850. The SSD in my opinon is not worth it for computers and most people don't notice a difference. It is especially good for laptops tho, if it gets dropped it wont wreck the files.

The cost effective upgrade is to add a great cpu cooler and overclock , and add a more recent gfx card . A 4870 or GTX 260 216 is the sweet spot , but this depends on your monitors resolution .

I wouldnt install more RAM unless you have a 64 bit OS

ssd, and other faster hard drives dont improve fps in games . All they can do is shorten the loading times . Not worth it IMO

RacktheMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Yes, but what i want from the ssd drive is to load my os faster and the quickstart programms like the antivirus...i have windows vista 32-bit...would i see any real difference?

What do you use this computer for? Upgrading the GPU would be by far the best way to improve gaming. What power supply do you have? I would pick up a new ATI GPU since your motherboard supports crossfire as long as your PSU can handle the upgrade. You might as well pick up a nice CPU cooler and overclock your CPU while you're at it.

If you're looking to improve gaming performance, what resolution does your monitor run at? What's your budget for this upgrade? Where are you planning on buying your parts from?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but it's hard to make a good suggestion without some basic knowledge about budget, intended use, etc...

RacktheMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
well my psu can handle the upgrade...i have a fortron epsilon 700w
the highest resolution of my screen is 1440x900 but i may change the screen in the near future without paying any money.

i thought i would upgrade my ram to 4 gb and maybe purchase this ssd, for now. here are the links:
http://www.plaisio.gr/product.aspx?product=1143832&Manufacturer=Corsair&category=69977727&catalog=20

http://www.plaisio.gr/product.aspx?product=1191039&catalog=20&category=1000000373

i intend to overclock my CPU and maybe buy a video card now and xfire a little later
for now i have like 300 euros (like 400$) more or less
i do play games but not fanatically

daship

Distinguished
Dont listen to the haters that dont have SSD experience. Windows loads everything pretty much instant with a SSD.

Your mobo is good.
Your CPU can OC easy on your mobo.
You best upgrade choice for faster windows experience is a SSD.

I have 4x OCZ core series 30G in raid 0 and they scream @ 507MB/s reads. You have to follow the directions to set them up right which I have done, and I have never had a problem. I want to get the new Vertex series for a bit more speed, I am going to sell my current ones for $65 each on Ebay. PM me if interested.

RacktheMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Well, i want to improve my gaming performance but not just that. i want windows to work faster thats why i was thinking the ssd.

I will probably buy a 4870 0r a 4890. The difference between them is not great and if their price lowers a few they would be great.

but which manufacturer should i trust?
is the "toxic" edition any better?

and thanx everyone for helping

I never said to avoid SSD's. I just said that you would want to get one with the Indilinx controller. The ones with the Jmicron controller have such high latency that they aren't worth buying. Sure they have throughput, but that doesn't help the Windows experience any. Did you even read the review I posted above? How do you know I don't have any experience with SSD's?