Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using the "F6" additional driver during install

Last response: in Storage
November 6, 2010 10:50:49 AM

I have been reading a lot about this install (Intels RST Ver 9)

Can someone give detail instruction on when/how to perform this install?

Thanks

Mark
a b G Storage
November 6, 2010 2:47:44 PM

Mark F6 install was a thing with xp and sata drivers if you are using vista or 7 it's a thing of the past.
m
l
November 6, 2010 6:07:23 PM

Oh thanks.
I am running Windows 7 and have RST Ver 9 installed

Thanks

Mark
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
November 6, 2010 7:45:37 PM

Mark, anonymous1 statement is incorrect.
For INTEL chipsets (AMD require AMD, or default AHCI driver)
If you want to install the INTEL AHCI ver 9 driver allas must still use the F6 during install. Unless you use F6 to install the Intel AHCI driver the install will use the default AHCI driver. Might be possible to update AHCI driver, I could not had to re-install.

The F6 option is found under "Custom" install. On the page that ask where to install (Page that also allows you to delete/create partitions) you will find a small box for addtional required Drivers. By checking this block it will then allow you to look for drivers (With vista/win 7 you can put the files on a thumb drive (No FDD required).

To verify which AHCI driver is being used, go to Control Panel -> hardware and sound -> device manager. Open up the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller"
On mine it says "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller"

If it says msachi, then you are using the uSoft default driver.
m
l
November 7, 2010 10:03:18 AM

Chief,

I have:
Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Contoller
Driver Version: 9.6.0.1014
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Caompatability Publisher
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys

Is this correct?
If not where do I get the correct driver from?
Will the driver you are suggeting work for both the Add-on Card (SATA III) and if I decide to just go with the onboard SATA II?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
November 7, 2010 12:44:42 PM

First - For add on SATA III card. Card probably based on Marvel chipset, so Intel driver can not be used, you would use the default USoft AHCI driver. Would still use the Intel RST for your SATA II ports.

For Sata II, If that "Intel(R) driver was listed in device manage inder the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and msachi is NOT listed then you are good.
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:08:53 PM

RetiredChief said:
First - For add on SATA III card. Card probably based on Marvel chipset, so Intel driver can not be used, you would use the default USoft AHCI driver. Would still use the Intel RST for your SATA II ports.

For Sata II, If that "Intel(R) driver was listed in device manage inder the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and msachi is NOT listed then you are good.

So if I use the default USoft AHCI driver will it support TRIM?
Also what do you mean by default?

And thanks for your time your are a good person to help us!
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
November 7, 2010 6:55:31 PM

Yes the uSoft AHCI driver supports trim

Default = If no other driver specified, then install will use the msahci driver when the Bios is set to AHCI.
November 17, 2010 9:38:19 AM

Best answer selected by mark_k.
m
l
!