Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU Heatsink for Around 40$ (AM3)

Last response: in Overclocking
December 22, 2010 8:01:24 PM

CPU heatsinks are sort of hard to shop for :lol:  . I plan on unlocking (If possible) and OC'ing my Athlon II x3 445 to 3.8+GHz.

Ive been looking at these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a Cooler Master 430 Elite Case, and wasn't sure either of these would fit since i can't seem to find anything that tells what size of heatsink would fit...

I'm also a touch confuzled about dBA.... I want my case silent, and i was planning on filling it with these:

In the end i plan on having 4. They are rated at 21 dBA... So does that mean they add up to be 4x21=84dBA? Or are they still just 21dBA? Then you have the heatsink to worry about...

So:

1.) What is a good heatsink for less than 40$? (Needs to fit in a Cooler Master 430 Elite)
2.) How loud would 4 fans with each being 21dBA be (Plus CPU Heatsink)? Are there better 120mm fans (Quiet/Best Air Mover) for around the same price or cheaper?

My Rig:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Cooler Master 430 Elite Case
MSI 870-G45 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II x3 445 3.1 Ghz CPU
MSI GTX 460 1GB Cyclone
G. Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (2X2)
Corsair Builder Series 500 Watt PSU

More about : cpu heatsink am3

December 23, 2010 5:31:44 PM

I just saw Tom's 'roundup' of a few heatsinks and was interested in the Corsiar A50... Will be cheaper with a MIR, how does the A50 compare to the Shuriken?
Related resources
December 23, 2010 5:35:00 PM

Which one? The Corsair or the Scythe?

(Edit) I also did some digging and saw that my case says "CPU cooler not to exceed 163mm"...
December 23, 2010 7:03:30 PM

It looks really wide... Have you had any problems with it getting in the way of RAM slots or the northbridge (My northbridge seems to be a little high...)?
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2010 8:51:59 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ $30

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

It should fit in the case since Cooler Master then selves has a V8 in that case on there web site and this is slightly shorter.

Your case, right?
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

You can even go with 2 fans in the future if you need more cooling.

I would generally avoid low profile heat sinks unless you have a small case.

Small case\/

DBA ratings are always wrong. but 21 would be very quiet. You can get a fan controller to fine tune your fan speeds to get just what you want(you do not want to go too low or heat can build up). Let the board manage the cpu fan since it will need to increase the speed at load. Some boards can also control the case fans(that is what i have on one system)
December 23, 2010 9:09:50 PM

Yep that's my case. My mobo will run two fans (And the CPU heatsink), but the others will be ran at full all the time...

I was looking at the Hyper 212+, but the Corsair A50 is 15$ cheaper...

So what would be fans that would would recommend (Would love silent ones, but I do want it to cool :p  and my budget cuts the price off at about 15$)?
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2010 1:27:14 AM

They are both very good. I personally would prefer the Hyper from personal experience. I have owned them both. Both are pretty noisy, if that is what you are looking for.
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2010 2:07:30 AM

After the AMD stock cooler the 212+ is very quiet :) 

Add 2 Antec fans, yeah, now its loud(once the system gets loaded)...

I have not used the A50, so no comments there.
December 24, 2010 2:20:32 AM

How loud are we talking? :lol: 
December 28, 2010 2:51:20 AM

The hyper 212+ is better than the A50 IIRC
SCMG-2100 is the best heatsink for $40, however I don't think it will fit in the case
December 28, 2010 9:17:50 PM

Thanks for all the input, really helped my decision. Unless someone can find a better deal than 15$ for a Hyper 212 Plus (25$ - 10$ gift card=15$), then i think ill go that route.

And you guys were right, the stock cooler drives me NUTS. Will reach almost 6000 RPM's even when the temp is right around 55...

Oh one last question, I am using Speedfan to measure my temps, but the way it labels them is really weird (The Video Card reading is the only one that i can figure out :lol:  ).

After 15 min of Prime95 it reads:

GPU - 33C
Temp1 - 63C
Temp2 - -128C
Temp3 - 41C
Core - 57C
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 6:47:44 PM

Try hwmonitor.It is easier to understand,has more info than Speedfan and I find it a bit more accurate.As for the readings,temp1 is core 0,temp2 core 1 and temp3 core 3.
December 30, 2010 4:43:51 AM

Makes sense, but then why is there a core? Is this the average? :lol: 
December 30, 2010 4:55:58 AM

Im trying hwmonitor and it seems to be more informative... Anyways I was looking at my SSD and its running at 38C's. Its sitting in the case right below my two optical drives so its not getting any air, should i move it or is 38C's fine? I do plan on getting a enclosure at one point, but not right now...

Sorry :) , posting questions in the wrong places :p .
December 30, 2010 5:00:55 AM

i have the hyper 212 plus on my phenom ii 955. LOVE IT! idles at 25 C. Definitely get it
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2010 11:19:33 AM

38c is fine for the SSD. Memory runs warm, but is made to take it.

My guess on your speedfan readings would have been

GPU - yeah, gpu

Temp1 - Chipset. AMD chipsets tend to get pretty hot. Nothing to worry about. It could be a sensor near the voltage system as well, either way, i think you are fine

Temp2. This is not connected to anything so it reports that number.

Temp3. Boards cpu temp. Its cooler in the socket then inside the chip it self. This is normal. My I5 runs under room temps at idle:)  if I listen the the board sensor. At load this sensor should be much closer to the Core sensors reports.

Core is the cpu. As far as i know AMD just has the one sensor in there. Some software shows all cores at the same temp all the time anyway.

If you click on configure in speedfan, you will see that the Core reading comes from AMD K8(K10 maybe, never looked to be honest)

I have switched over to HWmon on system that do not need fan speed control.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2011 6:54:08 AM

With the 212+ I actually run cooler w/600 Mhz OC under full load than I did at idle with the stock AMD cooler w/ no OC, plus its 30 dollars, for the money you will not find a better cooler.
January 14, 2011 8:42:17 PM

nukemaster said:
38c is fine for the SSD. Memory runs warm, but is made to take it.

My guess on your speedfan readings would have been

GPU - yeah, gpu

Temp1 - Chipset. AMD chipsets tend to get pretty hot. Nothing to worry about. It could be a sensor near the voltage system as well, either way, i think you are fine

Temp2. This is not connected to anything so it reports that number.

Temp3. Boards cpu temp. Its cooler in the socket then inside the chip it self. This is normal. My I5 runs under room temps at idle:)  if I listen the the board sensor. At load this sensor should be much closer to the Core sensors reports.

Core is the cpu. As far as i know AMD just has the one sensor in there. Some software shows all cores at the same temp all the time anyway.

If you click on configure in speedfan, you will see that the Core reading comes from AMD K8(K10 maybe, never looked to be honest)

I have switched over to HWmon on system that do not need fan speed control.

Kind of Offtopic, but..

The thing about SpeedFan is that you have to tweak the settings a little bit, it used to show me Core C and something else, but i removed them from the list. Also in the taskbar it would show the GPU temp and not the CPU, got that fixed too and I'm verry happy with it.

HW is better in my opinion, but SpeedFan has Fan control, so I've got no choice
(I foulishly bough a Hyper 101 just to try CM and it's a bit loud, otherwise it was easy to install and has a solid feeling) :D 

January 14, 2011 11:37:01 PM

The SSD is starting to reach temps near on 60 C's.... I'm starting to worry :) .
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 2:01:01 AM

If you touch it does it burn you? Cause at 60 it would be extremely hot to touch. I have seen old laptop drives in the mid to high 50s.

If you feel it is too warm, try to move it somewhere cooler(with an adapter into a 3.5 inch bay with a fan, or even in a 2.5 to 3.5 in a 3.5 to 5.25 drive cooler).
January 15, 2011 3:06:13 AM

It might have been a false reading because the computer had been left on for several days to make sure I fixed the many bugs that plagued my new build and it said 58 C's. But it hadn't been used for anything besides light surfing the web and I did run Furmark once, but it was a day before the temps got that high and its back down to about 38 C's. If i see another reading like that ill take a look :) . If it does get that hot ill try moving it down to the bottom of the case where it will get some air from the intake fan.

Just be harder to wire... My PSU has really stiff cables and its driving me crazy, i cut myself on the GPU fan trying to get the wires into place. Ended up bleeding all over the cables and fins :lol:  . Was a HUGE mess that took forever to clean. But I am a perfectionist with a windowed case...
!