4830 overtemp during 1st boot

firstuser123

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I have a problem with sapphire radeon 4830 and MSIK9A2 motherboard . I tried to do the first boot to my computer and get access to bios settings, but there is no picture. LCD (Samsung syncmaster 913n) remains black (with blinking green led indicating no signal). VGA cable is connected with card and display (and I have checked that the monitor works well with another computer).

The very moment I turn the power on, radeon's d1601 red led goes on as well. I understood it should mean over temperature protection being on.

Card is installed in PCIE x16 (PCI_EX1) slot (as requested in MSI's manual when only one card is installed).

6 pin PCI-E connector is plugged in (and I tested with PSU's both PCI-E and the result was same) and all fans keep working properly so I thought the GPU is just flawed. I returned the card to the seller who, after testing it, claim that there is nothing wrong with the card.

Can any one help is the problem in motherboard, 4830 or somewhere else?

System:

Sapphire Radeon HD4830 HDMI 512MB Antec Sonata III 500W ATX
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X ATX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black
Corsair XMS2 TwinX 4GB (2x2048MB) PC2-64

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I had a similar issue with an ASUS build, replaced the HSF on the proc (same one you have)(Used an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro), and used new RAM. Then it worked. As a point of advice, in the future avoid the overpriced POS that is MSI (remember this "MSI is gonna DIE", and it takes lots of other things with it).