Fear of heatsink removal/cooling alternatives

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello everyone, I am seeking some advice ...

I did my first build back in March of 2010.

It is an AMD phenom II 955 on a Gigabyte 790xt-UD4. The PSU is an Antec EW-650. OCZ Agility SSD, and Baracuda 500gb storage HDD. I have 8gb of Gskill Ripjaw RAM (frequency @ 1333mhz timings @ 7-7-7-24). Just got a GTX-570 (Gigabyte), and love it. Big step up from my 5770 and then 6850. This is all housed in an Antec 300. Windows 7 home premium x64.

Now, I am getting an itch to over clock my system. I don't think it is worth it to overclock using the stock cooler that I have on it now since it can't be pushed too far over stock settings with this cooler.

This is where the story gets more interesting. When I did my build, I managed to bend a pin on the processor. Using a mechanical pencil, I was thankfully able to (GENTLY) bend the pin back into place, and I have not had any problems with the system since then.

Now, if I do decide to overclock, I will need to get a new cooler. Unless there is some way to work aftermarket parts into a stock cooling system. Given the problem that I had with the bent pin, I am a little nervous to even fool with the cooler or CPU with this system, but I don't know if maybe I am just being overly careful. I've removed heatsinks and fans before and I know how to do it gently, but still.

I really just want some advice as to whether or not people think I am taking an unnecessary risk in taking off the stock cooling system and replacing it. Also, are there any cooling alternatives I may not be aware of?

I appreciate it! Thanks!

Solution
Not to worry.

Once the cpu is in it's holder and clamped down, you need not remove it to change the cooler.

Before you shut down to remove the old cooler, get the cpu warm by running something taxing. That will soften up the thermal material and make it easier to remove the cooler.

I would plan on removing the motherboard from the case to do the change, because the best coolers use a backplate.
Not to worry.

Once the cpu is in it's holder and clamped down, you need not remove it to change the cooler.

Before you shut down to remove the old cooler, get the cpu warm by running something taxing. That will soften up the thermal material and make it easier to remove the cooler.

I would plan on removing the motherboard from the case to do the change, because the best coolers use a backplate.

Solution

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Also, I was wondering, if you could suggest a cooler that would provide the most stability for an OC of about 3.8 - 4ghz? The stepping of the processor is 3 btw. I don't mind spending more, but I would prefer to spend about 50$.

Thanks again!