Need some help on EVGA SLI LE X58 motherboard

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I knew that my board was at x16 x8 x4 x8 mode when i bought it, but now i was just wondering. When i upgrade in 2012, do you think running two graphic cards at x16 x8 mode will decrease my performance by a lot? Hopefully in 3 years, i can upgrade to a core i9 and get quad SLI gtx 295's for a good price =D. I know the gtx 295 utilizes 16 lanes, but how much slower is quad sli @ x16 x16 than quad sli @ x16 x8 ?

Or maybe by 2012 nvidia will have 400 series already ... hmm

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah i read some reviews that the x8 doesn't affect performance too much...

Another question about this motherboard:

It has x16 x8 x4 x8 as stated before ...

Do you think it's possible to tri-sli three gtx 285's in the x16 x8 x8 slots, and then get a separate 9800GTX+ on the x4 slot for physx only ?

And IF it is possible, :

How do you setup one video card for graphics only, and the second video card for physics only ?

You would be wasting your money on Tri-285's when you can buy dual 5870's and use a GTX 9800 for Physics....

If you already have the cards then yes it is possible.... If you don't have the cards I would suggest you spend your coin on the new Radeon's, you end up spending less, consuming less power and overall a hell lot more performance compared to the 3 285's...

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i'm not sure if the EVGA SLI LE supports crossfire... it says SLI but not crossfire =/

But suppose i did have the card, what do you do to make one card for graphics, and one card for physics?

Yea, the LE supports both....

To enable Physics you need to go into the GPU software, Ntune, Riva, etc.... And look for the Physics tab, once located you will have the option to Enable/Disable...

To be honest I would rather use one brand of GPU's only... When you mix both Nvdia and ATI together you are prone to driver conflics among other issues....