When's the moment to upgrade my GPU? (GTX260core216)

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
not like "holy ***, a GTX 295" kind of upgrade, but more like:

When future games make the card i have now a piece of turd. When is that point, when all games will be like photo realistic and stuff?

also, is a CPU upgrade required also by that point? i got a Phenom II 720 BE, a triple core.... it was an amazing deal, but leaves you with that "it's not the old duals, but not the quads either" feeling...

think of it as like, an future upgrade roadmap, i'm not the kind who upgrades every 6 month for the latest crap.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
if you ever need more power, add a 2nd card, will beat a gtx 295, make sure psu can handle it, and yes your triple core is subject to self doubt, its weak, but what can ya do....find strongest cpu you can just drop into your current board, or budget for new mobo bundle, CPU/ram/mobo

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Weak? it's pretty good for what i do, and i OCed it to 3.2 from 2.8. Of course it's no Intel's baby, but it's pretty good, since all i do in general is Firefox and games. Mostly FPSs, but lately Red Alert 3 caught my attention...

and, my mobo is an Gigabyte AM3 mobo, so that means no SLI, but there's Crossfire support. However, there's the Nvidia 1 GPU for rendering and 1 GPU for physics, but is that setup really worth it?

oh, and i got a OCZ Fatal1y 550w PSU, can probably power 2 cards, just maybe... not 2 dual-core GPU beast, but 2 single-core gpus...

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
well sounds like you dont need an upgrade yet then, you sound like you already know what to do, when your ready to do something post your budget and 100 people will tell you what to get

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
i know, this isn't an "i need to upgrade now" thread, it's more of an "what conditions would require me to upgrade"

for example, condition would be like upgrading to vista to get DX10, getting a DX10 card, etc... when does the next DX11 cards come out anyway? i know they're insanely expensive at first, but i'll wait until they hit the $250 price point... but anyway....

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
time to upgrade when you are playing a game you like and lagging like hell, or you notice everything slow/sucks or you feel money burning a hole in your pocket and get excited about new technology and want to buy it, or you spill a drink on your computer/act of God lol

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
yea, i wish... but i'm stuck with what i got now... and besides, eventually the I7 will become a Celeron within a few years time. That's what sucks, everything advances so quickly there isn't enough time for us to appreciate what awesome tech we have right now. Damn you Moore's Law!