Homemade computer power button/switch

gRock91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have a computer without a case so i have made a switch and all, but it seems not to work. Do I need some kind of battery for the button? I'm pretty sure i soldered it correctly, and I know the right pins on the mobo, but I'm stuck. Help!

gRock91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Looks good, but I am just wondering what to do with the switch i have...or possible reasons it isnt working. I cant order anything right now because I'm 17 and have no money at the moment. Thanks anyway, Proximon, but I really need to make this one work for me because it may be my only shot at booting the computer up for a long time.

gRock91

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The power supply works, I know because the motherboard lights all go on, but nothing else. It used to be all in a case and i worked, but not now that its out of a case. And putting it back in the case isnt an option, because this is my brother's old computer that he gave me when he upgraded, and he still needs the case because he didn't buy another one. Worst case scenario, I guess I'll somehow have to get another case. I wanted to run this as a server; I already have a working computer though. But I still would like to get this one running.

Somehow this thread slipped through the cracks, sorry. In case you check back and this still isne't resolved:

I'm concerned that a power button is a bit more complicated than you may think. It generally serves a couple functions on modern boards/cases, and is not simply on/off.

Look for old cases. ATX hasn't changed in many years and there are many old cases floating around and buried in closets that need a good home.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Actually, the power button is simple. What is complicated is what the computer does when it gets a signal. Typically, when the circuit is completed, the following occurs:

If the computer if off, a signal turns the computer on
If the computer is on, a signal tells the OS you pressed the power button. The OS then will either shutdown the computer or prompt you with what action you want to take
If the computer is on, and a signal is received for 5+ seconds, the computer powers off manually, bypassing the OS

The first two only require the circuit to be completed. I've turned my computer on mid-build by simply touching a car key to both pins for the power switch. Any metal object can be used as a makeshift power switch. Alternatively, any power switch you buy at a hardware store can be used on a computer. Beware however that most such power switches are toggles: they'll stay on once pressed or switched until pressed again or switched back into the off position. In other words, if you got a push-button switch like this, you'd actually want to click twice. The first click would complete the circuit and send the signal to power on, and the second click would open the circuit which will prevent the power switch from sending a continuous signal, which may end up turning off the computer much to your dismay