Low end cpu with high end graphic card

MO BEEJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
i have a pentium D 920: 2.8 GHZ , 4mb l2 cash

4 gig ram (have 2 gig but can upgrade if necessary)

my question is: with these clocks i am pretty much sure that bottlnecking will occure but will an oc to the cpu slove the case with high end graphics ex: 4890 gtx 275.

MY CURRENT MOBO IS INTEL ORIGINAL IT DOES NOT ALLOW OC BUT IF OVERCLOCKING SOLVE THE PROB I WILL BUY AN OCable MOBO

PLZ DONOT RECOMMEND SLI OR CROSSFIRE MOBO AND PLZ NO nvidia CHIPSETS SINCE THE ONLY GOOD 1s ARE 680i AND ABOVE AND AS I SAID NO DUAL PCIe

THX

MO BEEJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
thx man i will but a good oc to my 920 will lessen the bottleneck i saw a video of a guy overclocking the cpu to 3.8 he was using zalman cpu cooler will this oc and a high end gpu still bottle neck??

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
im telling you, with either of those graphics cards, your cpu is worth 10 bucks if your lucky, its bottom of the food chain.... no offense

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm going to agree with sharken. If it were me, I'd get a new chip and mobo. I don't think you'd get much value out of a high-powered GPU with that CPU.

Also, is it really necessary the TYPE IN ALL CAPS? Can't you just trust that we are all capable of reading these posts and will take what you write into consideration?

For your purposes, it all depends on your budget, but if you're not looking to spend a ton, but want to keep relatively current, a P45 and a decent Intel chip would keep it pretty cheap.

If you have more money to spend, a Phenom might be possible. I'd stay away from i7 right now for your purposes, because it would be like building a completely new computer and would probably cost you $1000 or more.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
lol right Huron, the 1 time i wont recommend i7

it wont go any faster, so you list budget and what you want to do, i take it you didnt buy the grafix card already either....

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Agreed sharken - it's all up to budget, but an i7 rig would be akin to a new build:

DDR3 required, a $250 mobo, a $250 cpu, etc. At that point, you may as well build the whole thing.

Give us a budget and we'll give you some suggestions on how to upgrade that thing.

MO BEEJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
offense taken but its accepted, btw the CAPS thingi is for telling the stupid ppl my point i mean sometimes a get frustrated by ppl who think they r smart but what the hell i typed it anyway. ALSO (LOL) appreciate ur concern but u cant help me my country is very very $ive if u wanna see our prices and what hardware they only sell u will be shocked so before i give u my budget check this www.pcandparts.com
this is the cheapest !!!! if u see it u will see how frustrating ;)

MO BEEJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
yea its a tax 10% on everything

ah now u all know our pain

now the only good thing is the Benq T2200HD Wide 21.5" TFT good price 4 good quality 4 fullhd but thats all

MO BEEJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
LOL
i know, so u see my options are to buy a bit decent mobo with a c2d like e6600 2.4 and oc that ( i saw good results 3.8 actually) but i will run out of $ for a gpu so u see what i was trying to do.
BTW i broght a 9800gt for a friend who has same system but his cpu is 3.0 (faster than mine) and some games work fine like grid but crysis warhead is unplayable in all setting on even 800x600 so a 9800gt is being bottlenecked by cpu LOL.
i know i am skrewed but wth gave it a shot. SUCKS to be me right ;)