Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte memory PROBLEMS!

Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2009 8:19:21 PM

Hi there fellow tom boys(c wat i did thar?) I am facing a bizare case of gigabyte's famous hardware rejection. I just bought 2x2gb ddr2 rams for $70, after attaching them into my mobo, only one of them is read, and the total memory is read as 2gb when it should be 4gb.

My mobo is a 945GCM-S2L

Halp plez mestar?!?!?! :hello: 
a b } Memory
a c 156 V Motherboard
September 23, 2009 8:33:51 PM

Test each one separately to make sure they both work.
m
l
September 23, 2009 8:40:49 PM

I did, tested each one alone, then both together with inverse order, all the readings FROM THE BIOS give me 2gb of ram at first.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2009 9:00:08 PM

What make and model of RAM are they?
Also make sure (consult the manual for your motherboard) which slots to put the RAM sticks in. I'm assuming you have 4 slots for RAM. The boards can be fussy on the slots to use.
m
l
September 23, 2009 9:04:35 PM

They're both 2gb 400Mhz DDR2 elixir rams, and I have 2 slots of ram lol, so this wont be a problem for me i guess
m
l
September 23, 2009 9:16:41 PM

what windows you have ? beacouse xp 32 bit only support less then 3 GB, how much ram is in Bios ? or go to start, run and type dxdiag to see all info
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 24, 2009 12:10:56 AM

Well, I took a look at the BIOS revs for your MOBO, (here:) 
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mod...
and none of them lists any specific problems with RAM (although GB has never been known for being particularly astute about maintaining accuracy in changelogs...); have you done the obligatory "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS since you installed it? This is a required step - one of the things it does is reads the SPDs off the RAM, and sets all the myriad 'auto' parameters in the CMOS to accomodate it...
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2009 1:42:42 AM

manually set the voltage for ram, or use EPP settings if availage both for clock and power/voltage of ram
m
l
!