Mouse Does Not Work on Win XP SP3 PC

dakrisht

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hey Everyone,

I have an odd issue that needs a few more heads than just mine.

Everytime I plug-in a wireless USB or wired USB optical mouse, it works for 4-5 seconds and freezes.

I've tried every USB port and I've tried three different mice.

My first mice (wireless, 2.x Ghz mouse + keyboard combo) worked fine for 4+ months up until now.

I've replaced the batteries, tried every USB port, rebooted the system a few times - nothing - starts and freezes 5 seconds later.

I'm on a custom-built system running a Gigabyte 740X AMD Board w/ a Phenom II processor.

What could be happening here?

I thought of wireless conflicts, so I disabled any WiFi around me - still nothing.

Very odd...

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I don't know if this will help but back in the day this solved most mouse problems I encountered. Open Display properties and click the advanced tag to bring up the next menu and click the troubleshooting tab. Move the slider to the left one notch at a time and see if any of the settings help.
The main problem this has fixed for me in the past has been my mouse pointer plain vanishing but has solved other mouse problems also.

hwacc.PNG

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
My old workplace had most peoples' trackpads freeze after blackberry tethering was installed on their laptops. We had to reinstall the drivers to get them to work again.

dakrisht

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks for your replies everyone but none of that seems to pertain to this situation.

Again, the mouse was working fine for 3 months - today it just suddenly stopped working?

Windows recognizes a new device when I plug it in, even installs the driver for it rather quickly. It works for 5-10 seconds and then just stops???

USB flash drives and other USB components work fine.

dakrisht

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I went ahead an "Uninstalled" all USB devices in Device Manager - rebooted - than attached the USB Wireless mouse --- NOTHING!

This seems like a Win XP issue, right?

BIOS is fine - USB is set to enabled - I have no idea why the mouse starts and stops 5 seconds later...

G

the dicto problem is happening with me . I am trying repairing my windows .I hope this might work

G

I'm having the same issue, USB wired mouse, Windows XP SP3. they work for 5 seconds, and then the pointer freezes...

Any ideas? solutions?

I tried the mouse on a different computer, and it works fine.

Tommy Chi

Honorable
May 5, 2012

This is fine BUT, if my mouse is not working, how do I get to Display properties??