Stunning Asus 4770 overclocks.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
^ correct.

Its alleging the card can do that on said voltages, ASUS is saying it can because it fits into whatever voltage requirements their are.

If somebody wants to be stupid enough to OC that thing that far, if it even can, then be my guest....please. I want a picture of the burnt chip afterwards because that pathetic stock cooler cant handle it.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Score one for me! And I have to agree, spathotan. Unless you're liquid cooling that thing, which seems like an awful expense on a ~$100 video card, it'll likely burn in a hurry. However, with the references to ATI's stance at the top of the article, I can't help but wonder if the 4770s over-volt and over-clock potential is the reason behind that stance...

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

STOP KILLING MY DREAMS!

So far the highest OC I've seen in a review is 860MHz Core and 975MHz Memory over at Xbitlabs.com:

gpuz_rv740oc2.gif

Link:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd4770_5.html

Unfortunately, the official Radeon HD 4770 overclocking tools - Catalyst Control Center control panel – has very limited functionality: the maximum GPU frequency is only 830MHz, and maximum memory frequency 850 (3400) MHz.

The card worked stably at these speeds, but the 40nm GPU could definitely do better than that. And we did find a way of overcoming the unfounded limitation by slightly modifying the latest RivaTuner version. In order to teach this popular utility to work with RV740, you need to open Rivatuner.cfg file, get to [GPU_1002] section and locate the “RV770 = 9440h-9443h,944Ch” line. Then you have to add “94B3h” descriptor to it.

Here's some performance charts from their review of stock and OC'ed HD 4770:

codww.png

crysiswh.png

etqw.png

farcry2.png

dmc4.png

pop.png

scs.png

fear2.png

l4d.png

fallout3.png

meffect.png

Here's a relative performance chart @ 1920 x 1200 resolution of the HD 4770 at stock speed:

1920_relative.png

I'll probably replace my nearly 3 yr old X1900XT with this card as an inexpensive upgrade, then buy a high end DX11 card next year.

Edit: I added the quote since it describe how Xbitlab was able to overcome CCC's overclocking limitations.

No, the "img brackets" are there in my post when it go to edit it. I triple checked before making another post. Might be due to the fact I am posting too many images at once.

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Wait till you see HIS ICEQ cooling on this thing, then we will have something to talk about.
Till then forget this 970/1150mhz dream overclocks.

jennyh

Splendid
Look at the voltage difference. 0.95v to 1.2v is pretty huge right?

Thing is, the stock 4870 voltage is 1.203v (some are 1.263v). The 4770 has the same stock clock speed as the 4870, except it is at a much lower voltage.

If you are wondering why it has 80w TDP, that should go a long way to explaining it. It looks like ATI have had to drop the voltages on this in order to prevent overclocks from going too high with normal software.

As for the cooling, this is what Hexus said :-

"A double-height cooler is overkill for the underlying GPU. It does perform well however, keeping under-load temps near GeForce 9800 GT levels."

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18202&page=11

Max load of 63C is really good. My 4870 is idling at 56C right now and it's not unusual for it to hit 80C+ under load.

jennyh

Splendid
We shouldn't really be surprised either. This is a 40nm part and we've seen what ATI have done with the 4890 overclocking compared to the 4870. Smaller tech allow for much higher clocks, that is just plain to see in gpu history.

Jaguar's last graph there shows the 4770 drawing a very small amount of power more compared to the 4670. Why is this card at 80w TDP with a pci-connector requuired? It must be because it will overvolt and overclock to huge levels.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

That may be true, but it's mainly because the PCIe slot on the motherboard can only supply a maximum 75W. If a video card needs a single Watt of additional power to function under load, it has to have a 6-pin PCIe power cable connected to it. Since this card draws 80W under load, the additional 5W have to come from somewhere, hence the 6-pin PCIe power connection.

jennyh

Splendid

Yes but the 80w TDP is supposed to be the total maximum the card would realistically be able to draw, including extreme watercooled overclocks and voltage increases. That graph shows it drawing under 50w at full load so there has to be a huge amount of headroom left over for some reason. It takes an awful lot for a card to draw 30 more watts than it does under normal circumstances.

There might well be another reason but I think the obvious one would be a quick switch to 1.2v and big increases on clock and memory speeds might just take it above 75w. At normal stock levels there is no way this card would need more than the pci-e slot power.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, I'll admit it's still under the 80W claim from AMD/ATI, but the Hexus and XbitLabs results are different, yet both seem to show the 4770 staying well under the 75W barrier of the board slot under load.

Problem with that is, maybe at bootup, possibly in certain games under certain conditions, even temporarily, it could climb to its TDP, and by not supplying available power for its listed TDP is inviting lawsuits, discredation as well

The HD 4770 is rated to have a TDP of 80w, but that is simply an estimate, not an actual amount. I would say the power connection is insurance in case there would be a sudden spike in consumption, especially when OC'ed.

cbupdd

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I made it. 100% stable: 970 mhz core with 1.2v / 1000mhz ram (very hot, max clock 1150mhz)
Max. temps are 70º for core and 80º for ram, need better refrigeration...

Remember, it is 40nm!! So temps are MUCH lower.

Happy o/c :D

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Impressive. But... Will it run a fullscreen FurMark Stability Test in Xtreme Burning Mode at your native res for more than a minute? :)

cbupdd

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I have tried only 45 seconds, because temps are soo high (core 86ºc !!). I need some water cooling.. or she will die xD
I read it is 43mm mounting holes, right? Anyone know a compatible water block?

cbupdd

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Also, I flashed asus top bios, then I used smartdoctor to increase the voltage ( I think it can only go at max. 1,2v. I say that because at +1,2v it doesn't help on o/c).