New build, which stress tests?

hamlet_jones

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I was finally able to get my new build together today (THANKS MadAdmiral!).

I decided to go with a BioStar A880G+ (stifle those groans!) I wanted a budget build,
with onboard GPU, with a descrete card to be added once I figure out what I want.

CPU: Athlon II X3 445 Rana
2x2g ADATA 1600 Ram
1 TB Samsung F4
LG ATA DVD-RW
22.5 1920x1080H monitor
Windows7 64bit

After reading much here at TH, I've come to the understanding that it is worthwhile
to run stress tests to uncover any weaknesses, Prime95, etc.

Question: which tests, and what order?

Solution
I'd start by downloading a temperature monitor. I use Realtemp. You can tell a lot from how hot your CPU is getting under stress from each stress test especially if you're not overclocking.

Here's a few I use to test overclocks:

HyperPI - Test your CPU's quickness really. It'll get your temps up a bit.
Cinebench - See how fast you can render and such, not much to it.
Prime95 - Of course. I run Max FPU test and the blend test. Check your temps.
OCCT - Good one for testing overclocks, you might wanna check that out. Temps skyrocket.
HDTach - Testing software for hard drives. Cant remember ever using it but its there.

My favorite way of testing stability is doing what I love most. Play an intense game like Crysis or Fallout 3 or New...

kickflipper1087

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I'd start by downloading a temperature monitor. I use Realtemp. You can tell a lot from how hot your CPU is getting under stress from each stress test especially if you're not overclocking.

Here's a few I use to test overclocks:

HyperPI - Test your CPU's quickness really. It'll get your temps up a bit.
Cinebench - See how fast you can render and such, not much to it.
Prime95 - Of course. I run Max FPU test and the blend test. Check your temps.
OCCT - Good one for testing overclocks, you might wanna check that out. Temps skyrocket.
HDTach - Testing software for hard drives. Cant remember ever using it but its there.

My favorite way of testing stability is doing what I love most. Play an intense game like Crysis or Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Check for crashes and studdering. Real world testing is always good!

Solution

KrishManohar

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Thank you :)