Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 hangs....super slow at times

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2009 10:49:44 AM

I'm not too sure exactly what is causing this. At bootup it can take FOREVER to load windows, the little bars go across as much as 12 times (shouldn't be near that at all). Then after I log in it can take forever to get started. Stuff will load normally, then it'll just HANG. Just thinks for minutes on end. Tried to install something and it takes forever to even begin. Tried disabling services and the such, didn't seem to work. My system: Core i7 920 @2.66ghz, 6GB OCZ 1600 RAM, EVGA X58, BFG GTX 295. Vista 64-bit Ultimate. I had the same kind of issues on my last build: Q6600 @2.4ghz, 8GB Patriot 800 RAM. No matter if Vista was a fresh install or not, it would get slow. I have all the drivers updated and what not. Did registry cleaning, defrags, nothing worked. It's getting really frustrating because I thought getting a new system would have solved the problem, but it carried over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan

More about : core hangs super slow times

July 11, 2009 11:00:08 AM

al_capwn said:
I'm not too sure exactly what is causing this. At bootup it can take FOREVER to load windows, the little bars go across as much as 12 times (shouldn't be near that at all). Then after I log in it can take forever to get started. Stuff will load normally, then it'll just HANG. Just thinks for minutes on end. Tried to install something and it takes forever to even begin. Tried disabling services and the such, didn't seem to work. My system: Core i7 920 @2.66ghz, 6GB OCZ 1600 RAM, EVGA X58, BFG GTX 295. Vista 64-bit Ultimate. I had the same kind of issues on my last build: Q6600 @2.4ghz, 8GB Patriot 800 RAM. No matter if Vista was a fresh install or not, it would get slow. I have all the drivers updated and what not. Did registry cleaning, defrags, nothing worked. It's getting really frustrating because I thought getting a new system would have solved the problem, but it carried over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan

check your hd controller settings.
July 11, 2009 11:40:07 AM

Thank you for such a quick reply. What should it be set to?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2009 1:06:46 PM

check temps also. CPU may be throttling.
July 11, 2009 1:17:32 PM

CPU temps are fine. After it stops hanging, programs run great. I just played crysis for 20 minutes on max settings and it ran fine. I'm not sure what the hd controller settings are all about
July 11, 2009 2:04:48 PM

al_capwn said:
Thank you for such a quick reply. What should it be set to?

Check to make sure it is not in IDE mode.
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2009 8:47:44 PM

also are you using the same hard drive?
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2009 10:08:14 PM

Sounds like a old crappy/bad HDD. Get a new faster hard drive.

Bet you had same HDD in last machine, hence why last and current act the same.

Grab a Western Digital 640 black.
July 12, 2009 2:10:36 AM

Actually I bought a new WD 1TB hard drive. It's a really nice one. The last was a 500GB WD.
July 17, 2009 12:20:08 AM

Could it be I improperly installed my motherboard? I was reading something about the cardboard washers and how you shouldn't use them on the motherboard holes with the metal on them, thus causing improper grounding. Any clues on that?
!