UK Mobo, CPU, & RAM ok in USA box?

hypermem

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I have a credit at a store in the UK that sells computer parts. I'm in the USA. I want to get an ASUS P7P55D mobo, an Intel Core i5 CPU, and a Corsair (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory memory kit. I may have just enough to get the BFG 9500GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-E graphics card too since I'm assuming the graphics cards DDR2 memory has no effect on the DDR3 mobo.

I know I have to get a US compatible power supply but I just want to make sure that is the only issue I have to worry about with power (the power supply), and that there are no hidden gotchas or voltage differences between components made for UK boxes and USA boxes. Am I safe doing this?

Any comments on the parts choices are welcome too.

Thanks.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
If your getting something as weak as a 9500GT, dont waste money on anymore than 512MB of RAM. Also, GDDR2 is slow as crap, if you can find a GDDR3 version you will thank yourself later.

As far as I know, the components themselves are identical.

Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I would stay away from the 9500GT it isn't worth the bang for the buck, if you spend a bit more you can get that.

The computer your building is using i5 etc, you don't want an ancient card like that.

3800 Series
4600 Series
9600's

These would be what I would recommend

Here is a card which is only 20$ more then the 9500GT, honestly it is worth every penny.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287

Solution

hypermem

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks everyone for replying. Just ordered today. I'm really looking forward to getting the parts. AnandTech's benchmarks for the i5 pitted against a comparably priced i7 seem to be neck and neck so I'm saving quite few dollars by going the i5 route. @Youngster - I jumped on that card you linked to, it looks like a really nice price point while getting good graphics performance. I would have liked to get memory that supports XMP, but the Corsair Dominator line is more expensive. Hopefully Intel's Turbo Boost adaptive overclocking supported by the i5 makes overclocking easy enough that I won't need to get to creative with the BIOS memory settings.

The last thing I'd like to do is take a power supply from one of the old systems I have lying about, but I'm not sure it will have the power I need. I've seen people recommending 750W power supplies for rigs comparable to what I'm getting.

Thanks again everyone.

Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Depends what Video card you went for, but honestly all the cards you will be using aren't very high power usage, and the i5 has very low power usage.

I would go with a 550W Very minimum if your strapped for $ but preferably go with a 650w to be safe.

hypermem

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks again. I'll do that.

Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Forgot to mention, don't absolutely Cheap out on the PSU... you'll regret it if you aim for the lowest price one, go for at least Medium-High With Corsair being the best quality far none.