Humming sound when plugging pc speakers and no sound

somertonbob

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Good day computer guys, I hope someone can help me with a problem. I have a gigabyte motherboard MA55SLI that was working find until I switch it out and place it in another case. I have tried everything from putting tape on top of the spacer between the motherboard.

I am having a humming sound coming out of the pc speakers before I plug them in. Also no sound coming out of the speakers but the speakers work on other computers. Does any one knows what could be causing this problem.

bilbat

Splendid
My guess - you have amplified speakers, which are plugged into the wall to power the amplifier, but input cables are not yet plugged into the MOBO's audio ports...

Several possibilities here, all predicated on the fact that when you say "the speakers work on other computers", they are being tested in another room/building, on 'another computer'... If the wall plug is in the same room, in the same building, I'm with zipzoom in suspecting the bong!

1. You have a crappy/nonexistent ground in the wall plug you're using; four dollar outlet tester available at any 'big box' hardware store will check this...
2. There is something else on the circuit (and it doesn't have to be in the room - many buildings are wired with circuits extending to two/several rooms) that is electrically 'noisy'; suspects are (test by unplugging/unscrewing/removing): anything with a motor - fan, space heater, etc.; a bad or just 'peculiar' CFL (compact flourescent light) - some of the 'cheapies' made in China, Malaysia, et al are incredibly crude; a defective or cheap wall transformer for some random POC that, like every other damned thing these days, was designed too poorly to have an internal power supply; a light dimmer/ceiling fan speed controllerwhose rectifier filtering is 'leaky'...

Save a hit for me!
:bounce:

SystemPat

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I suspect the jack is going into the wrong port. Are you using on-board sound or an added card for audio? The audio on the boards almost always 3 or more outlets to plug into. The line out which is the usual for speakers is color-coded green. Kind of a light green on mine. Make sure that's the one you're trying.

SystemPat

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Who knows. Maybe he turned the gain up all the way (assuming powered speakers) and they are crappy speakers. Hard to tell from the meager description and fractured sentences. We'll see if OP comes back or not.

somertonbob

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

I am thinking there is a short in the motherboard. If I am holding the speaker cable anywhere close the case that's when I get the humming sound. Once plug in the sound is gone. The correct driver is installed because all players show progress on digital equalizer bars and no system errors. Thanks for your quick response.

bilbat

Splendid
if there's no problem once you plug it in, you haven't got a problem. First of all, you'll likely plug 'em in once (hopefully, correctly) and be done with it; second, everything in the environment is so saturated by our ever-present 60 Hz 'background field' that nearly anything (including you touching the plug end - that's how a lot of 'touch operated switches work - by detecting your body's 60Hz hum) will cause a hum when not connected; third, you really should power-down the amplifier before mutzing around plugging it in - with the amp full up, any random contact with the plug end can be responsible for a 'pop' that will blow out a speaker for you...