Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 | Dell 2408 WFP Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2009 3:10:52 PM

Hello and thanks for taking your time to help me,

I have a new, higher end computer that has been plagued with problems, my specs here:

Core i7 2.93 not overclocked
6GB CORSAIR Dominator RAM
ASUS P6T Deluxe V1 (Latest Bios)
4 x 500GB RAID (0+1) via ICH10R (latest drivers)
1x NVIDIA GTX260 connected to 1 Dell 2408 and 1 Dell 2405 (using latest WHQL NVidia drivers)
COOLERMASTER Real Power Pro 850 WATT PSU

Recently, out of nowhere my left display (2408) randomly goes black, enters Powersave Mode for 1 second and comes back on right away. I checked the connection and it is fine, I am using a new DVI cable for both, Power to the monitor is fine too. I reinstalled graphics drivers, same thing.

I am running out of resources and time to troubleshoot/fix, I am not sure what way to go now since CyberPowerPC support is non-existent.

I am concerned that my GTX260 model is the older one and might be with problems, since I see that the new GTX260 from eVGA are black, mine looks like this:

Please advise as to what I should do, since sending the computer to California (for the 3rd time and takes about 3 weeks) is devastating to my work.

Thank you.

*UPDATE*
I have a new problem and it is becoming a huge issue, please advise me. Besides the monitor going on and off, now every time I restart the PC (not a full shut down), my monitors never come on! The PC boots into windows (I assume because I see the disc read indicator going and I have to hard reset and reboot showing me Windows didn't shut down properly).

I found a way to remedy the problem but it is not a permanent solution. In order to reboot and have the monitors come on, I have to disconnect the power from the Power Supply, wait a few seconds and power the PC back on! Only then the left monitor goes on and I can safely boot into Windows.
May 7, 2009 3:38:00 PM

Check the temperatures of the video card with GPU-Z.
May 8, 2009 1:16:50 PM

Reseat the card.
Related resources
May 8, 2009 2:59:17 PM

I had a problem like that a while back. A cable was touching the top of my GPU's fan and slowed the fan down causing the card to heat up. The monitor would go to sleep and when the card cooled down it would come back on. Sounds like a heat issue to me.
May 29, 2009 4:00:14 PM

Thank you for all the replies and feedback, I truly appreciate it.

I have a new problem and it is becoming a huge issue, please advise me. Besides the monitor going on and off, now every time I restart the PC (not a full shut down), my monitors never come on! The PC boots into windows (I assume because I see the disc read indicator going and I have to hard reset and reboot showing me Windows didn't shut down properly).

I found a way to remedy the problem but it is not a permanent solution. In order to reboot and have the monitors come on, I have to disconnect the power from the Power Supply, wait a few seconds and power the PC back on! Only then the left monitor goes on and I can safely boot into Windows.

Also, is there a specific way to remove the GTX260 from the PCI-E slot? Because I cannot pull it out! I have pulled the release lever on the slot itself, but the card is not coming out of the slot even with decent pull applied...

What can the problem be?

May 29, 2009 4:05:29 PM

evongugg said:
Check the temperatures of the video card with GPU-Z.

GPU-Z was giving me the "Unknown Architecture Error" every version I have tried. So I got the NVIDIA tools and it showed the 60C idle temperature. Is that a normal idle temperature?
June 2, 2009 8:48:17 PM

Monitors not turning on:
I had a similar issue when I started overclocking. I know that you aren't overclocking your machine but the cause could be the same. For me, the problem was that my RAM was not getting enough voltage. My motherboard's default voltage was too low and had to be set manually. Furthermore, the timings on the memory were wrong and had to be corrected. You may need to do some research to find out what voltage your RAM and CPU run at, as well as the RAM timings. Once you have this information, set it manually in the bios. If that does not help, try updating your motherboards bios to the latest version.

Unable to remove GTX260:
There are 3 things to do before removing your video card. First, remove the video cables from the back. Second, remove whatever is holding it in place to the back of the computer case (screw, or clip). Third, pull the holding pin/latch at the front of the PCI-E slot (usually under the video card). The third one might be a little tricky as it is hidden when you have a dual slot card the the GTX 260. You may need a paper clip to push the holding pin out of the way. If it is still stuck, your case/motherboard may have something else keeping the board in place that I haven't encountered before.
June 4, 2009 6:10:11 PM

Vythiel said:
Monitors not turning on:
I had a similar issue when I started overclocking. I know that you aren't overclocking your machine but the cause could be the same. For me, the problem was that my RAM was not getting enough voltage. My motherboard's default voltage was too low and had to be set manually. Furthermore, the timings on the memory were wrong and had to be corrected. You may need to do some research to find out what voltage your RAM and CPU run at, as well as the RAM timings. Once you have this information, set it manually in the bios. If that does not help, try updating your motherboards bios to the latest version.

Unable to remove GTX260:
There are 3 things to do before removing your video card. First, remove the video cables from the back. Second, remove whatever is holding it in place to the back of the computer case (screw, or clip). Third, pull the holding pin/latch at the front of the PCI-E slot (usually under the video card). The third one might be a little tricky as it is hidden when you have a dual slot card the the GTX 260. You may need a paper clip to push the holding pin out of the way. If it is still stuck, your case/motherboard may have something else keeping the board in place that I haven't encountered before.

Hi vythiel,

Thank you very much for your response, it is very helpful!
Wanted to tell you right away, that I have 6GB Corsair Dominator Ram (1066MHZ). I checked the BIOS (I am running the latest 1504 on ASUS P6T Deluxe) and I could not find the Voltage settings (as I have never changed these settings in previous computers I have owned). I have found the DRAM BUS Voltage? Is that what I am looking for? I did not change it, because I am afraid to screw up the settings, as it is all set to AUTO at the moment. I suspect that the issue is RAM/Video Card related as in some instances, my graphics in Windows XP are starting to deteriorate and break up...which I have never seen on a high-end computer like this. Another note is that, once I put a temporary missing fan (I bought a similar Antec 120MM side fan - which to my luck does not screw in properly and CyberPowerPC simply chose not to install the included Cosmos S 120MM fan due to clearance issues with CoolerMaster V8)...my monitors seem to come on everytime, so now I think it would be a Fan Issue, even though I do have 5 other small fans in the case.

Oh so GTX260 is a dual card and it uses two slots? Because I have followed the steps you have provided, but I think I have then missed the second PCI-E release clip? Are there 2 clips to be released on these GTX cards?

Thanks!
June 4, 2009 9:31:08 PM

I found a picture of your motherboard here: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/08/asus-...

Based on this, you should have your video card in the blue slot. You need to do the following before attempting to remove the video card:
- Push the release latch at the front of that slot all the way down.
- Remove the video cables from the back.
- Remove the power cables from the front of the video card.
- Remove whatever is holding your board to the back of your computer case (clip or screw).

If you've done all the above, then there should be nothing holding it in place and you should be able to remove it. If it's still stuck, then there may be something obstructing it's removal. Look around the card for any components that may be causing the video card to be stuck. Moving the card *slightly and gently* up and down as you pull on it may help you discover what's holding it in place. Do this carefully as you don't want to damage any components that your video card may be stuck on.

I can't find any Corsair RAM that is both DDR3 and runs at 1066. The lowest DDR3 speed listed on thier site is 1333. The only Corsair dominator RAM that runs at 1066 is thier DDR2 which is not compatible with your motherboard. Initially I thought that you had meant 10666, which would be valid if you didn't also indicated that you are using Dominator RAM. The lowest speed for Dominator DDR3 memory is PC3-12800: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C8D.pdf

Try the following steps:

- switch the cables of the monitors on the video card's outputs and see if the same monitor (2408) still has the issue or if it moves to the second monitor(2405). That will tell you if the problem is with the video card or the monitor

-Also, if you can remove the current GTX 260 and replace it with another (temporary) video card, then see if the problem is still there, that would tell you if your video card is the problem or something else in your computer.
June 4, 2009 9:42:34 PM

Vythiel said:
I found a picture of your motherboard here: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/08/asus-...

Based on this, you should have your video card in the blue slot. You need to do the following before attempting to remove the video card:
- Push the release latch at the front of that slot all the way down.
- Remove the video cables from the back.
- Remove the power cables from the front of the video card.
- Remove whatever is holding your board to the back of your computer case (clip or screw).

If you've done all the above, then there should be nothing holding it in place and you should be able to remove it. If it's still stuck, then there may be something obstructing it's removal. Look around the card for any components that may be causing the video card to be stuck. Moving the card *slightly and gently* up and down as you pull on it may help you discover what's holding it in place. Do this carefully as you don't want to damage any components that your video card may be stuck on.

I can't find any Corsair RAM that is both DDR3 and runs at 1066. The lowest DDR3 speed listed on thier site is 1333. The only Corsair dominator RAM that runs at 1066 is thier DDR2 which is not compatible with your motherboard. Initially I thought that you had meant 10666, which would be valid if you didn't also indicated that you are using Dominator RAM. The lowest speed for Dominator DDR3 memory is PC3-12800: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C8D.pdf

Try the following steps:

- switch the cables of the monitors on the video card's outputs and see if the same monitor (2408) still has the issue or if it moves to the second monitor(2405). That will tell you if the problem is with the video card or the monitor

-Also, if you can remove the current GTX 260 and replace it with another (temporary) video card, then see if the problem is still there, that would tell you if your video card is the problem or something else in your computer.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to reply to me!!! Really means a lot.

I apologize as my memory is 1333 and was running at 1066 due to Bios settings. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2GB PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 TRIPLE 3 is the memory I have. However, changing it to 1333, still resulted in both monitors being off during the boot and post BIOS screens as the PC boots into Windows but I cannot see anything. I did not change any other DRAM Bus voltage or related parameters, because I am afraid to damage the hardware.

I have also replaced the card with an NVIDIA GT8800 and monitors would come on every time. However, try telling so to CyberpowerPC scam support and having them duplicate this issue is nearly impossible as they do not simply care. What is strange is that when I placed that 120MM fan from Antec to blow on the side of the computer, I was able to avoid the non-working/blinking monitor problem as well. So, I take it is a combination of overheating Card + improper RAM voltage? My NVIDIA tools shows a 60C idle on the GTX260 without the FAN being in place...

I am only afraid that once I ship it out to CA for CyberPowerPC (done so 3 times already! where on 3rd time they "rebuilt" (reinstalled windows and put parts in a different case) the system ), nothing will be fixed again :fou: 

I will try to follow your steps and relocate the card into a different slot. This is the first time I can't remove a PCI device...
By the way, both of my monitors work perfect, because I have tested them with a different computer and they work flawless!

Once again thanks for excellent input my friend.
June 4, 2009 9:56:03 PM

60C IDLE? hot hot hot. If you can set your default fan speed to 60-80% that should cool it down a bit.
June 4, 2009 10:08:32 PM

Dustpuppy said:
60C IDLE? hot hot hot. If you can set your default fan speed to 60-80% that should cool it down a bit.

Dustpuppy,

How would I go about changing the Fan speed on the eVGA NVIDIA GTX260. Thank you!
June 5, 2009 1:44:24 AM

60C is not that hot for a GTX 260. Mine runs at 54 at idle. The temperature of the video card is not the problem. However, if you still want to change the fan speed, you can use Rivatuner to do so (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163).

Furthermore, if your motherboard's RAM speed setting was wrong, there's no telling what other settings are incorrect. Download CPU-Z here (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php), install, and run it. See if you can post some images of the various information tabs. It will show what settings the different components of your computer are running at.
June 6, 2009 5:31:02 AM

June 7, 2009 2:43:37 PM

I cannot believe how "lemon" this computer is. Few new developments:

- As I have sped up the Nvidia Fan on the GTX (using RivaTuner) to 85%, my boots are now working fine and monitors do come on.
- My HD perfomance on (RAID 0+1) is beyond poor, programs take forever to start up and so does the Windows start-up.
- Often my mouse cursor starts skipping around (almost frame by frame), PC fans speed up and the PC pretty much locks up for 3-5 seconds.
June 8, 2009 2:24:37 PM

I find it strange that speeding up the fan solved the video card problems. My card can run as hot as 84C (under full load on a hot day) and it is still rock solid (GTX 260 core 216). Well, as long as it works, then that's fine for now.

Your raid may simply need new drivers. Go to Intel's home page and download the infupdate file as well as the Intel Matrix Storage Manager application.

INF Update: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-029901.htm
Storage Utility (pick your OS): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?Pro...

Furthermore, some of your computer's behavior is similar to being infected by a virus. If possible, re-install a clean copy of windows and install an anti-virus as soon as possible (before installing any other software).

The good news is that your computer has good quality parts, so whatever it's problem is, it probably has to do with it's configuration. Keep after CyberPowerPC (calmly) till they fix it. Make sure to tell them all the steps you've taken to try and resolve the issue and be as detailed as possible when listing all the problems you've experienced. You shouldn't have to manually adjust the video card's fan using third party software to get your computer stable, so make sure to tell them that at least.
!