Having trouble knowing what board to buy

r0k3t

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hi there,

I have done a fair amount of reading but I am still having a hard time knowing what board I need for my E5200 processor. I am just not sure how to tell. I know it is a socket LGA775 but some boards only support the 65nm CPU's and I want to be sure the chip is supported.

I have tried to find out what chipset I need to support this CPU but I seem to find a lot of information that points in many directions (I think there are people who post before doing their homework...) even at that when I look at mobo's I usually don't see much more than that socket info posted in the listing.

Anyway advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

Go to the "cpu support" section of major board manufacturer's websites. This section will tell you if your cpu is supported by the board and what bios version you need. The e5200 has been around for awhile, so any 1333 board should support it without changing the bios. I recommended the foxconn ELA p45 to someone the other day who didn't overclock. It's only $69.99. For micro atx, many g31 boards work fine and are priced from $32 open box at newegg.