Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I am almost at the point where I will be building my new Comp and now having trouble picking which Motherboard would best suite me.

I have my eyes on MSI, EVGA, and Asus... don't really trust the other brands so sorry if your here to try and get me on Gigabyte etc.

The main accomplishment for my build will be trying to get it to last a long time through University.

This is what my build is going to look like:
932HAF Case
8GB (4x2GB) of Gskill 1600Mhz RAM 7-7-7-24 (Open to suggestion for this, Anything that will roughly cost around 200$ for 8Gb)
750W Corsair PSU
i7 860 2.8GHZ
Coolermaster V10 (Already have the bracket shipping to me from Europe, Can't force my self though to get the V8 even with the like 80$ difference and not a big performance difference. Though V10 still outperforms everything by a couple Degrees.. main thing that made me want is it is difficult to get a good RAM cooler set up and I don't want my RAM running hot for 4 years, So this helps a bit.)

Now the important decider.

1x XFX ATI 5870 1GB (Already ordered and Enroute =D)

But Since I want this computer to last as long as possible, 1366 and 1156 Both can't run 2 Cards at 16x or even 16x and one 8x, but rather duel 8x... now This is the 5870, and the 5850 easily maxes out the 8x slot so that makes me worry if Crossfire would ever be an option like 1 year down the road, whether it would improve performance at all?

If it won't give me any real noticeable Increase but rather possibly max out my PSU I don't see it worth it focusing my search to Mobo's with 2 16x slots, but rather 1.

Now onto MOBO's

I can't go much above 200$(CND or about 190$USD) max

These are the boards I have in mind currently:

I'll just assume I can't post links so ya. (I'm more or less ordering off of Newegg Canada)

MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 P55 (GD80 doesn't do alot more for me cept hurt my wallet + from what I've heard it does a good job of keeping cooler over other boards.)

Or

EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 (Has the single 16x slot) Same price as GD65

Or

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 (I had a Asus when I did my first build when I was 13, I loved it but then again I didn't know alot back then... now hearing so much controversy regarding Asus I've stayed more away from their Hardware.)

So far I like the GD65 the best as it does have the 2x 16x slots and OC genie is awesome =)