Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Where are the girl babies?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:27:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I've had the Sims for a few months now (and just got University), and
i've noticed something: every baby born in the game, so far, has been a
boy. Let me chronicle all of them so far:

Peter First
Joseph First
Paul First (all from the same family, none twins).
Xavier Curious (the alien baby).
Kev Broke/Dreamer (Brandi's kid, adopted by Darren & Cassandra).
Samuel Sim
Jack and Jeffrey Nigmos (twin sons of Ophelia and Johnny).

That's eight boys, and no girls. What is this, the Old Testament or
something? I've heard that the game sometimes goes through 4 or 5 of
one gender, then switches to 4 or 5 of another, but eight?

More about : girl babies

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:51:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Cass and Don Goth now have 4 children, who alternated as follows:
Hector, Isabella, Nicholas, and Penelope. In every instance Cassandra
initiated the 'Try for Baby', basically because I thought Don would
balk if I told him to initiate baby making. Woo-hoo, sure, but try for
baby?

In addition, I had one set of twins which the first time they were born
were a boy and a girl, then due to a crash I went back to just before
their birth and they became 2 girls.

I dunno. Methinks it's completely random.

~*~
vecki
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:04:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1112023666.326538.252780@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I've had the Sims for a few months now (and just got University), and
> i've noticed something: every baby born in the game, so far, has been a
> boy. Let me chronicle all of them so far:
>
> Peter First
> Joseph First
> Paul First (all from the same family, none twins).
> Xavier Curious (the alien baby).
> Kev Broke/Dreamer (Brandi's kid, adopted by Darren & Cassandra).
> Samuel Sim
> Jack and Jeffrey Nigmos (twin sons of Ophelia and Johnny).
>
> That's eight boys, and no girls. What is this, the Old Testament or
> something? I've heard that the game sometimes goes through 4 or 5 of
> one gender, then switches to 4 or 5 of another, but eight?

I was going to suggest that the parent who initiates the Try for Baby action
determines the gender of the child, because I've noticed that after
wondering why Brandi Broke in my game kept getting boy after boy after boy.
(Since the fathers are all men from outside her home, she always initiates
the action) Upon watching it for a while after noticing this, it seemed to
me that I could reasonably conclude that the gender of the child was
opposite the gender of the sim who initiated the Try for Baby, since it
occurred for something like 6/6 subsequent births (including Brandi's 11
children). But then I realized that I've had crashes immediately after a
sim having a baby, reloaded the game and had the baby be the other gender on
the reload. Perhaps it's just a weird string or perhaps I did find
something and the game coded it so that if you reloaded the birth, the
gender would be swapped. Who knows. Maybe that can help you.

C
Related resources
March 29, 2005 7:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1112023666.326538.252780@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I've had the Sims for a few months now (and just got University), and
> i've noticed something: every baby born in the game, so far, has been a
> boy. Let me chronicle all of them so far:
>
> Peter First
> Joseph First
> Paul First (all from the same family, none twins).
> Xavier Curious (the alien baby).
> Kev Broke/Dreamer (Brandi's kid, adopted by Darren & Cassandra).
> Samuel Sim
> Jack and Jeffrey Nigmos (twin sons of Ophelia and Johnny).
>
> That's eight boys, and no girls. What is this, the Old Testament or
> something? I've heard that the game sometimes goes through 4 or 5 of
> one gender, then switches to 4 or 5 of another, but eight?
>
All the girl babies must be in my game... 16 in a row, no boys. One
more pregnancy going and I'm wondering if the streak will go to 17!
Dave
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with the
hearts though - with or without a shower first.

Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American thing.
I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
with cheese. Sounds VILE.

Best wishes
Maxon


"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:CK92e.7566$Ab.1542@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> >
> <eyes gleaming> Random also includes a million boys and no girls. But what
> about the colour of the underwear?
> Surely you can't deny that if the man wears little hearts on his shorts
then
> he will father a girl? - as long as he has a shower first, naturally.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:49:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:

> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with the
> hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>
> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American thing.
> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
> with cheese. Sounds VILE.

Mac N Sneeze. W or without Weinies.

:) 

-georg
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:32:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:xna2e.21875$ME3.174@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with the
> hearts though - with or without a shower first.

I have it on good authority (I read it on the back of a matchbox) that if
the female pulls the toilet chain during the man's shower, then they
woo-hoo, she has triplets.
>
> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
> thing.
> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
> with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>
Perhaps it's just the 'beefburger' option? I just pretend that all my Sim
meals are soya substitutes knitted to the right shape, though why someone
would want to present veggi lobster in a shell beats the hell out of me.

Granny - wondering about knitted meatballs.... boggle.
March 29, 2005 7:40:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:
> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with the
> hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>
> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American thing.
> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
> with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>


It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Ali
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:xna2e.21875$ME3.174@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with the
> hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>
> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
> thing.
> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
> with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
Macaroni and cheese, which I think is called a Kraft dinner in Canada.
http://www.lysator.liu.se/etexts/recept/us/mac-and-chee...

In regards to the original topic, I had a theory that the game made an
effort to try and keep a balance of the gender ratios in the
neighbourhood... any chance your boy-producing neighbourhood had more women
than men?

I've added CAS families with lots of girls to a neighbourhood before having
a family try for a baby in order to get a boy, and that seemed to work for
me. It's not something I've done hundreds of times though so it's probably
just a statistical glitch. Usually I have neighbourhoods with a fairly equal
number of males and females, and usually I get families of alternating
genders.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:56:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Oh yes, of course. Yes, we do that in England too - just don't shorten the
name.

It wasn't my neighbourhood or my query that started this thread - I seem to
get an even mix of girls and boys. Maybe the original poster will find your
suggestion useful.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Whogus the Whatsler" <who@what.sler> wrote in message
news:42493467$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
>
> >
> Macaroni and cheese, which I think is called a Kraft dinner in Canada.
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/etexts/recept/us/mac-and-chee...
>
> In regards to the original topic, I had a theory that the game made an
> effort to try and keep a balance of the gender ratios in the
> neighbourhood... any chance your boy-producing neighbourhood had more
women
> than men?
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

ali wrote:

> It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
> scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
> and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
> butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.

This reminds me of a bad joke.

A pretty young thing was getting married. She sat down with her mother
and asked her how to make a man truly happy. Her mother stammered a bit,
and then started to try to explain about the birds and the bees....
But her daugher cut her off. "I know how to screw, mom. That's why he
wants to marry me. What I really need to know is how to make macaroni
and cheese."

-georg
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:32:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 6ednYulZNHxINTfRVn-iA@comcast.com...
> Maxon wrote:
>> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with
>> the
>> hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>>
>> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
>> thing.
>> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
>> with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Maxon
>>
>
>
> It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
> scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
> and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
> butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>
I had forgotten about the macaroni cheese. Never call it Mac and anything
though in the UK. Well not round here, anyway. You are right. Excellent
fodder and not a lentil to be seen.
Cauliflower cheese also. Mmmmmm.

GCA.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:32:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:bfk2e.111963$vK5.72892@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> ali wrote:
>
>> It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>> scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
>> and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
>> butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>
> This reminds me of a bad joke.
>
> A pretty young thing was getting married. She sat down with her mother and
> asked her how to make a man truly happy. Her mother stammered a bit, and
> then started to try to explain about the birds and the bees....
> But her daugher cut her off. "I know how to screw, mom. That's why he
> wants to marry me. What I really need to know is how to make macaroni and
> cheese."
>
Why do you say macaroni 'and' cheese? Just wondering.
I have a old cookery book here with wonderful M and C recipe therein.
Take two pounds of tasty cheese and grate it into a pan of water. Boil, then
rolling simmer for... x minutes.
Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....

Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
parsley, or something very like.
Children! Do not try this at home.

Granny.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:32:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:VHk2e.8134$Ab.5170@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:bfk2e.111963$vK5.72892@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > ali wrote:
> >
> >> It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
> >> scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese
sauce,
> >> and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
> >> butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
> >
> > This reminds me of a bad joke.
> >
> > A pretty young thing was getting married. She sat down with her mother
and
> > asked her how to make a man truly happy. Her mother stammered a bit, and
> > then started to try to explain about the birds and the bees....
> > But her daugher cut her off. "I know how to screw, mom. That's why he
> > wants to marry me. What I really need to know is how to make macaroni
and
> > cheese."
> >
> Why do you say macaroni 'and' cheese? Just wondering.
> I have a old cookery book here with wonderful M and C recipe therein.
> Take two pounds of tasty cheese and grate it into a pan of water. Boil,
then
> rolling simmer for... x minutes.
> Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....
>
> Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
> parsley, or something very like.
> Children! Do not try this at home.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Why in the world would you throw out the cheese?! Of course, I've never
heard of boiling cheese in water, either. You make it all creamy and it
coats the macaroni and it gets all congealed and sticky and good.
Mmmm...good with ketchup, too.

Kelly
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 6:29:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> Why do you say macaroni 'and' cheese? Just wondering.
> I have a old cookery book here with wonderful M and C recipe therein.
> Take two pounds of tasty cheese and grate it into a pan of water. Boil, then
> rolling simmer for... x minutes.
> Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....
>
> Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
> parsley, or something very like.
> Children! Do not try this at home.

Make elbow pasta. Then make a roux, white sauce, add cheese to get
cheese sauce, add the drained pasta. Sprink bread crumbs and more cheese
on top. Bake for an hour. YUM. Never met a man who didn't like that.

Lactose intolerant need not apply.

And then there's the horrible Kraft blue box staple of my college days
with a hot dog or 3 sliced and tossed in. Not as good, but a great way
to procrastinate.

-georg
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:38:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Oh yes, now I like cauli cheese - one of my favourites.

Best wishes
Maxon


"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:VHk2e.8133$Ab.7204@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 6ednYulZNHxINTfRVn-iA@comcast.com...
> > Maxon wrote:
> >> Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with
> >> the
> >> hearts though - with or without a shower first.
> >>
> >> Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
> >> thing.
> >> I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a
pan
> >> with cheese. Sounds VILE.
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >> Maxon
> >>
> >
> >
> > It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
> > scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
> > and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
> > butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
> >
> I had forgotten about the macaroni cheese. Never call it Mac and anything
> though in the UK. Well not round here, anyway. You are right. Excellent
> fodder and not a lentil to be seen.
> Cauliflower cheese also. Mmmmmm.
>
> GCA.
>
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:38:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

That's just plain weird Granny - not Mrs ('Take 12 eggs') Beeton surely?

Makes me think though - cheese was considered a crude (lower class) food
back in ye (alleged) good old days. The upper classes wouldn't eat it.
Silly Sods - I'd kill for a seriously good stilton.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:VHk2e.8134$Ab.5170@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> Why do you say macaroni 'and' cheese? Just wondering.
> I have a old cookery book here with wonderful M and C recipe therein.
> Take two pounds of tasty cheese and grate it into a pan of water. Boil,
then
> rolling simmer for... x minutes.
> Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....
>
> Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
> parsley, or something very like.
> Children! Do not try this at home.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:30:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:hsu2e.273$ua5.231@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> That's just plain weird Granny - not Mrs ('Take 12 eggs') Beeton surely?

Not Beeton. Hold on, I will check the book It is quite falling to bitses.
Boo, it's not there. Packed away in the 'Golden Oldie' box Ha! Second box I
pulled from under the bed...
Hum! Not two pounds of cheese, two ounces! And it comes under 'Cookery for
invalids; may be eaten without risk.... Ah, and when the drained macaroni is
still hot stir in the yolk of an eggy and a spponful of milk or cream. This
last step fools the patient into thinking they are eating real cheese...
Golly.
Nelson's Home Comforts. No date. 23rd edition so not all that old.
"NOTICE" in the back says if you send 2/6 Postal order you can get a sample
box of Nelson's goodies, AND a copy of the book - or a copy of the book will
be sent gratis on receipt of a penny postage stamp.

Hm, my other little book says place the cooked macaroni in a dish and dot
with butter, here and there and cover with layered cheese and finally bread
crumbs.
Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings. 1886.
Not all that old.

>
> Makes me think though - cheese was considered a crude (lower class) food
> back in ye (alleged) good old days. The upper classes wouldn't eat it.
> Silly Sods - I'd kill for a seriously good stilton.
>
Heh.

Granny.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ndv2e.8347$Ab.1764@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> Not Beeton. Hold on, I will check the book It is quite falling to bitses.
> > Hum! Not two pounds of cheese, two ounces! And it comes under 'Cookery
for
> invalids; may be eaten without risk.... Ah, and when the drained macaroni
is
> still hot stir in the yolk of an eggy and a spponful of milk or cream.
This
> last step fools the patient into thinking they are eating real cheese...

Sounds gruesome. And the added egg is without risk is it? What was is
Edwina Currie said? (Apart from suggesting something unspeakable to John
Major that is).

> Golly.
> Nelson's Home Comforts. No date. 23rd edition so not all that old.
> "NOTICE" in the back says if you send 2/6 Postal order you can get a
sample
> box of Nelson's goodies, AND a copy of the book - or a copy of the book
will
> be sent gratis on receipt of a penny postage stamp.
>
> Hm, my other little book says place the cooked macaroni in a dish and dot
> with butter, here and there and cover with layered cheese and finally
bread
> crumbs.
> Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
> Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings.
1886.
> Not all that old.

Set before the fire - Blimey, where do you get this stuff?
Yorkshire Relish is fine in puddings.

>
> >
> > Makes me think though - cheese was considered a crude (lower class) food
> > back in ye (alleged) good old days. The upper classes wouldn't eat it.
> > Silly Sods - I'd kill for a seriously good stilton.
> >
> Heh.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:48:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7xv2e.46$4a2.39@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
>> Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
>> Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings.
> 1886.
>> Not all that old.
>
> Set before the fire - Blimey, where do you get this stuff?
> Yorkshire Relish is fine in puddings.
>
Gawd.....
There is reprint of georgian hand-written recipes, and I can remember...
Take the whites of four dozen eggs. Beat for five hours....
Take (something like) five pounds of best raisins. Remove the stones....
And:
...put the flour and eggs into a pot and 'sling in' a peck of, and a bit of..
I had a vision of a cook pitching in raisins over-arm with great force.

I wonder how many kitchen maids took turn beating those egg whites? 8(((

I have a lovely household hints one here that deals with fun and games by
the sea-side. (My translation, you understand)
First you build up your strength. Then, after a light breakfast you drink a
pint of sea-water. Get into the 'bathing machine' Put on your bathing
costume.. and the leggins... and the arm-mufflers... and the hat.. and
scarf, and boots... and get the machine pushed into the sea... NOT THAT
DEEP!
Blushing maiden inches down the steps, well-shielded by women holding up
towels. Maiden dips toe into water and they all cheer.
Retreat back into the machine and get dressed, get rushed home in a covered
carriage with a rug over the knees and spend the rest of the morning
well-wrapped in a warm blanket before the fire, sipping a nourishing soup.

Now THATS the sort of holiday I need.

Granny.
March 30, 2005 10:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> ali wrote:
>
>> It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>> scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese
>> sauce, and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread
>> crumbs and butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up
>> a bit.
>
>
> This reminds me of a bad joke.
>
> A pretty young thing was getting married. She sat down with her mother
> and asked her how to make a man truly happy. Her mother stammered a bit,
> and then started to try to explain about the birds and the bees....
> But her daugher cut her off. "I know how to screw, mom. That's why he
> wants to marry me. What I really need to know is how to make macaroni
> and cheese."
>
> -georg


LOL, that's a good one, I like it!

Ali
March 30, 2005 10:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:bfk2e.111963$vK5.72892@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>>ali wrote:
>>
>>
>>>It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>>>scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
>>>and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
>>>butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>>
>>This reminds me of a bad joke.
>>
>>A pretty young thing was getting married. She sat down with her mother and
>>asked her how to make a man truly happy. Her mother stammered a bit, and
>>then started to try to explain about the birds and the bees....
>>But her daugher cut her off. "I know how to screw, mom. That's why he
>>wants to marry me. What I really need to know is how to make macaroni and
>>cheese."
>>
>
> Why do you say macaroni 'and' cheese? Just wondering.
> I have a old cookery book here with wonderful M and C recipe therein.
> Take two pounds of tasty cheese and grate it into a pan of water. Boil, then
> rolling simmer for... x minutes.
> Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....
>
> Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
> parsley, or something very like.
> Children! Do not try this at home.
>
> Granny.
>
>


Um cause it's macaroni and cheese mixed together? I don't know, I
didn't invent it, I just like to cook it and eat it. No offense but
your recipe sounds gross. I know your probably kidding Granny but I am
just one of those people who has a hard time telling the difference. My
hubby picks on me for that all the time, lol.

Ali
March 30, 2005 10:25:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> Hm, my other little book says place the cooked macaroni in a dish and dot
> with butter, here and there and cover with layered cheese and finally bread
> crumbs.
> Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
> Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings. 1886.
> Not all that old.


This one sounds like what my hubby's nana used to call german macaroni
and cheese only she would mix some milk in with the macaroni before
dotting it with butter and cheese. Doesn't taste as good as the real thing.

Ali
March 30, 2005 10:29:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 6ednYulZNHxINTfRVn-iA@comcast.com...
>
>>Maxon wrote:
>>
>>>Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with
>>>the
>>>hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>>>
>>>Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
>>>thing.
>>>I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
>>>with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>>>
>>>Best wishes
>>>Maxon
>>>
>>
>>
>>It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>>scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
>>and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
>>butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>>
>
> I had forgotten about the macaroni cheese. Never call it Mac and anything
> though in the UK. Well not round here, anyway. You are right. Excellent
> fodder and not a lentil to be seen.
> Cauliflower cheese also. Mmmmmm.
>
> GCA.
>
>


Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian
and so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good, I've
just never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one of these
days and try it out.

Ali
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:31:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
>>
> Twins. There's something I'd love to have. I keep hoping.

Seems like I am getting twins as often as every four births now. They are
more work so once you have had them once or twice you won't want them.

Gareeth
March 31, 2005 4:49:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:WeGdnVQUX7Xiq9bfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 6ednYulZNHxINTfRVn-iA@comcast.com...
>>
>>>Maxon wrote:
>>>
>>>>Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with
>>>>the
>>>>hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>>>>
>>>>Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
>>>>thing.
>>>>I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
>>>>with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>>>>
>>>>Best wishes
>>>>Maxon
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>>>scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
>>>and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
>>>butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>>>
>>
>> I had forgotten about the macaroni cheese. Never call it Mac and anything
>> though in the UK. Well not round here, anyway. You are right. Excellent
>> fodder and not a lentil to be seen.
>> Cauliflower cheese also. Mmmmmm.
>>
>> GCA.
>
>
> Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian and
> so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good, I've just
> never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one of these days
> and try it out.
>
> Ali

A professional cook told me the trick to cooking lentils is not to use TOO
much water. Just barely cover them and add more water if needed. I used to
use too much water, then they take forever and never seem to soften. My
daughter is vegetarian and I had to think of things to feed her that were
healthy. Lentils are and she loves them. She's off on her own and cooking
for herself now but I still cook a lot of meatless meals... like "Mac &
Cheese". ;) 
Sage
March 31, 2005 4:49:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Sage wrote:
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:WeGdnVQUX7Xiq9bfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>
>>Granny Crabapple wrote:
>>
>>>"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:p 6ednYulZNHxINTfRVn-iA@comcast.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Maxon wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Well, yes, of course you are right. I don't know about the bloke with
>>>>>the
>>>>>hearts though - with or without a shower first.
>>>>>
>>>>>Do you know what that Mac meal is, BTW? I assume it's some American
>>>>>thing.
>>>>>I have visions of the middle of a Burger and Bun being fried up in a pan
>>>>>with cheese. Sounds VILE.
>>>>>
>>>>>Best wishes
>>>>>Maxon
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>It's called macaroni and cheese and it's delicious when it's made from
>>>>scratch. Basically it's elbow macaroni mixed with cheddar cheese sauce,
>>>>and baked. I mix some broccoli in there, top it with bread crumbs and
>>>>butter and my family gobbles it up. Hope that clears it up a bit.
>>>>
>>>
>>>I had forgotten about the macaroni cheese. Never call it Mac and anything
>>>though in the UK. Well not round here, anyway. You are right. Excellent
>>>fodder and not a lentil to be seen.
>>>Cauliflower cheese also. Mmmmmm.
>>>
>>>GCA.
>>
>>
>>Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian and
>>so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good, I've just
>>never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one of these days
>>and try it out.
>>
>>Ali
>
>
> A professional cook told me the trick to cooking lentils is not to use TOO
> much water. Just barely cover them and add more water if needed. I used to
> use too much water, then they take forever and never seem to soften. My
> daughter is vegetarian and I had to think of things to feed her that were
> healthy. Lentils are and she loves them. She's off on her own and cooking
> for herself now but I still cook a lot of meatless meals... like "Mac &
> Cheese". ;) 
> Sage
>
>


Thank you Sage for the advice. I'll take it to heart when I get around
to cooking them. There are a few indian recipes that call for lentils
that I've been wanting to try so now maybe I'll be brave enough to
attempt it. Let me tell you it's a lot easier being vegetarian now than
14 years ago when I started. There's a much bigger selection of meat
substitutes out there that help me to make old favorites like meatloaf
and sloppy joes.

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:05:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Sage wrote:

>
> A professional cook told me the trick to cooking lentils is not to use TOO
> much water. Just barely cover them and add more water if needed. I used to
> use too much water, then they take forever and never seem to soften. My
> daughter is vegetarian and I had to think of things to feed her that were
> healthy. Lentils are and she loves them. She's off on her own and cooking
> for herself now but I still cook a lot of meatless meals... like "Mac &
> Cheese". ;) 
> Sage

I can't swear that lentils will work this way- but most beans you get
really need to be softened overnight by a good bath. Just let 'em soak
up water.

Then cook with not much water at all, and they seem to be better that
way, unless you like mush- then add more water.

Me, I'm more carivore. My favorite luxury food is chicken boob strips
with bacon rapped around it, baked in the oven. The amaretto splashed
over the top is a nice touch, so you can have calories with your
cholesterol. Use some Queso blanco or parmesan, and you can work the
cheese in there. :) 

-georg
March 31, 2005 5:05:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> Sage wrote:
>
>>
>> A professional cook told me the trick to cooking lentils is not to use
>> TOO much water. Just barely cover them and add more water if needed. I
>> used to use too much water, then they take forever and never seem to
>> soften. My daughter is vegetarian and I had to think of things to feed
>> her that were healthy. Lentils are and she loves them. She's off on
>> her own and cooking for herself now but I still cook a lot of meatless
>> meals... like "Mac & Cheese". ;) 
>> Sage
>
>
> I can't swear that lentils will work this way- but most beans you get
> really need to be softened overnight by a good bath. Just let 'em soak
> up water.
>
> Then cook with not much water at all, and they seem to be better that
> way, unless you like mush- then add more water.
>
> Me, I'm more carivore. My favorite luxury food is chicken boob strips
> with bacon rapped around it, baked in the oven. The amaretto splashed
> over the top is a nice touch, so you can have calories with your
> cholesterol. Use some Queso blanco or parmesan, and you can work the
> cheese in there. :) 
>
> -georg


I'll take the amaretto, you can have the rest ;) 

Ali
March 31, 2005 5:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:x1I2e.3765$kC3.10@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Sage wrote:
>
>>
>> A professional cook told me the trick to cooking lentils is not to use
>> TOO much water. Just barely cover them and add more water if needed. I
>> used to use too much water, then they take forever and never seem to
>> soften. My daughter is vegetarian and I had to think of things to feed
>> her that were healthy. Lentils are and she loves them. She's off on her
>> own and cooking for herself now but I still cook a lot of meatless
>> meals... like "Mac & Cheese". ;) 
>> Sage
>
> I can't swear that lentils will work this way- but most beans you get
> really need to be softened overnight by a good bath. Just let 'em soak up
> water.
>
> Then cook with not much water at all, and they seem to be better that way,
> unless you like mush- then add more water.

I think you're right about that.
>
> Me, I'm more carivore. My favorite luxury food is chicken boob strips with
> bacon rapped around it, baked in the oven. The amaretto splashed over the
> top is a nice touch, so you can have calories with your cholesterol. Use
> some Queso blanco or parmesan, and you can work the cheese in there. :) 

Now that does sound good... not too often though. ;) 
Sage
>
> -georg
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

ali wrote:

>
>
> I'll take the amaretto, you can have the rest ;) 
>
> Ali

Try soaking the beans in the amaretto. :)  Please don't use the DiSarrano
for that though. That's more for the drinking. :) 

But it might give an interesting flavor.

-georg
March 31, 2005 10:28:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> ali wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> I'll take the amaretto, you can have the rest ;) 
>>
>> Ali
>
>
> Try soaking the beans in the amaretto. :)  Please don't use the DiSarrano
> for that though. That's more for the drinking. :) 
>
> But it might give an interesting flavor.
>
> -georg


That sounds interesting. Will definitely give that a try. I think my
hubby would love that. I agree, ya can't use the good stuff for cooking
with. :) 

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:13:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:WeGdnVUUX7UUqNbfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>
>> Hm, my other little book says place the cooked macaroni in a dish and dot
>> with butter, here and there and cover with layered cheese and finally
>> bread crumbs.
>> Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
>> Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings.
>> 1886. Not all that old.
>
>
> This one sounds like what my hubby's nana used to call german macaroni and
> cheese only she would mix some milk in with the macaroni before dotting it
> with butter and cheese. Doesn't taste as good as the real thing.
>
> Ali

You know a mixture of two methods whould give a very cheesy taste. Use the
grated cheese into boiling water to get ripe water, then continue as normal.

Lor, no wonder my gall bladder twitches. I like grating cheese over
everything - unless its a pudding, then one could grate chocolate, I
suppose.
I have been known to cover a plate of chips with grated cheese and pop under
the grill. French-fries to you lot over there.

Granny.
March 31, 2005 12:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:WeGdnVUUX7UUqNbfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>
>>Granny Crabapple wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hm, my other little book says place the cooked macaroni in a dish and dot
>>>with butter, here and there and cover with layered cheese and finally
>>>bread crumbs.
>>>Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
>>>Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings.
>>>1886. Not all that old.
>>
>>
>>This one sounds like what my hubby's nana used to call german macaroni and
>>cheese only she would mix some milk in with the macaroni before dotting it
>>with butter and cheese. Doesn't taste as good as the real thing.
>>
>>Ali
>
>
> You know a mixture of two methods whould give a very cheesy taste. Use the
> grated cheese into boiling water to get ripe water, then continue as normal.
>
> Lor, no wonder my gall bladder twitches. I like grating cheese over
> everything - unless its a pudding, then one could grate chocolate, I
> suppose.
> I have been known to cover a plate of chips with grated cheese and pop under
> the grill. French-fries to you lot over there.
>
> Granny.
>
>


Oh Granny you are making me hungry. Cheese fries are what we would call
that over here. Although if you were to order them at a restaurant they
would most likely put cheese sauce on them rather than grated cheese. I
like making fries from scratch, then again I like to make a lot of
things from scratch. Too many preservatives and chemicals in food sold
in the stores. Atleast if I make it I know what's in it and where it
came from.

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:19:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:CtqdnUnQK7jqqdbfRVn-qQ@comcast.com...

>> Strain water into a second pan... and... throw away the cheese.....
>>
>> Then boil up the macaroni in the water, drain, and serve with a sprig of
>> parsley, or something very like.
>> Children! Do not try this at home.
>>
>
>
No offense but
> your recipe sounds gross. I know your probably kidding Granny but I am
> just one of those people who has a hard time telling the difference. My
> hubby picks on me for that all the time, lol.
>
No, honest. It is in one of my little scruffy cook books I have picked up
over the years.
Some of the recipes are seriously strange.
But there again, so were recipes offered here during the Second WW.
A hundred and one things to do with a turnip, a rasher of bacon, and a speck
of margarine.

In this book it offers helpful hints under each recipe. Like, after
'mackerel'
'Is not melted butter wanted with mackerel so dressed?'
Answer:
'Certainly not. Yorkshire Relish, pure and simple, is the only addition
needed.'
Boom-ruddy-boom. Gallop out and buy some today - only you can't any more. 8(

Granny.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:27:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

ali wrote:
> Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian
> and so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good,
> I've just never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one
> of these days and try it out.

I've never tried it but apparently, if you listen to 'Maybe I'm amased' by
the beatles backwards, there is a recipe for lentil soup.
March 31, 2005 12:27:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> ali wrote:
>
>>Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian
>>and so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good,
>>I've just never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one
>>of these days and try it out.
>
>
> I've never tried it but apparently, if you listen to 'Maybe I'm amased' by
> the beatles backwards, there is a recipe for lentil soup.
>
>


Really? That's funny, I am a huge Beatles fan so I will have to check
that out, lol.

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:29:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:WeGdnVQUX7Xiq9bfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...

>>
>>
>
>
> Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian and
> so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good, I've just
> never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one of these days
> and try it out.
>
> Ali

Green lentil pate. Spread thick on toast - and covered with grated
cheese....

GCA
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:jvI2e.9168$z.682@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

>>
>> I can't swear that lentils will work this way- but most beans you get
>> really need to be softened overnight by a good bath. Just let 'em soak up
>> water.
>>
>> Then cook with not much water at all, and they seem to be better that
>> way, unless you like mush- then add more water.
>
> I think you're right about that.

I am starting to drool. Cook big stack of green lentils in a veggi stock;
watch like a hawk, start stirring when they are almost a mush and hardly any
liquid left. beat the blazes out of them with a wooden spoon. Add whatever
you like to give flavour. taste - add a pich of this and a dab of that and
plenty squeezed lemon juice for a kick. . Spoon into a lot of little pots
and put most into the freezer.
Spread the rest thick on buttered toast or crispbread. Eat until you go pop.
>>
>> Me, I'm more carivore. My favorite luxury food is chicken boob strips
>> with bacon rapped around it, baked in the oven. The amaretto splashed
>> over the top is a nice touch, so you can have calories with your
>> cholesterol. Use some Queso blanco or parmesan, and you can work the
>> cheese in there. :) 
>
Lor. Bacon doesn;t last long enough to wrap round anything in this house.

GCA
March 31, 2005 12:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:WeGdnVQUX7Xiq9bfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>
>
>>>
>>
>>Mmmm...cauliflower with cheese sauce is delicious. I am a vegetarian and
>>so I have to get creative with the veggies. Lentils are good, I've just
>>never cooked with them myself. I'm going to get brave one of these days
>>and try it out.
>>
>>Ali
>
>
> Green lentil pate. Spread thick on toast - and covered with grated
> cheese....
>
> GCA
>
>


Sounds good, I like hummus a lot and your description of green lentil
pate in another post sounded yummy. I'm probably the only one in my
house that would eat it, I might be able to get my nine year old to try
it though. She's more adventurous than her sister when it comes to
trying new foods.

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> Use some Queso blanco

White Cheese...? That's not the same as what the french call 'fromage
blanc' is it? Beacuse that is not cheese, it's some kind of mouse type thing
and it is foul! I went on french exchange a couple of years ago and we had
white cheese, my exchange student told me to put sugar on it as it is a bit
sour. I ended up using about 50g of sugar for about 2 spoonfuls of the
stuff, I decided to stop then.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:07:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>> Use some Queso blanco
>
>
> White Cheese...? That's not the same as what the french call 'fromage
> blanc' is it? Beacuse that is not cheese, it's some kind of mouse type thing
> and it is foul! I went on french exchange a couple of years ago and we had
> white cheese, my exchange student told me to put sugar on it as it is a bit
> sour. I ended up using about 50g of sugar for about 2 spoonfuls of the
> stuff, I decided to stop then.

I can give you the recipe for queso blanco if you want. It's a very firm
cheese made as a bag cheese/vinegar cheese that has a very high melting
point. You can use it instead of tofu for most tofu recipes including
stirfry, and it won't melt. That should give you an idea of the texture.
Plus it isn't sour. The only flavoring comes from the milk and the
vinegar. Granted, I use garlic-flavored cider vinegar or malt vinegar to
give it some flavor, but it's not sour, and you don't serve it nekkid.

I make the bag cheeses including ricotta, farmer cheese, and this stuff.
My sweetie makes the occassional cheddar.

-georg
March 31, 2005 3:07:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> Will Bradshaw wrote:
>
>> georg wrote:
>>
>>> Use some Queso blanco
>>
>>
>>
>> White Cheese...? That's not the same as what the french call 'fromage
>> blanc' is it? Beacuse that is not cheese, it's some kind of mouse type
>> thing and it is foul! I went on french exchange a couple of years ago
>> and we had white cheese, my exchange student told me to put sugar on
>> it as it is a bit sour. I ended up using about 50g of sugar for about
>> 2 spoonfuls of the stuff, I decided to stop then.
>
>
> I can give you the recipe for queso blanco if you want. It's a very firm
> cheese made as a bag cheese/vinegar cheese that has a very high melting
> point. You can use it instead of tofu for most tofu recipes including
> stirfry, and it won't melt. That should give you an idea of the texture.
> Plus it isn't sour. The only flavoring comes from the milk and the
> vinegar. Granted, I use garlic-flavored cider vinegar or malt vinegar to
> give it some flavor, but it's not sour, and you don't serve it nekkid.
>
> I make the bag cheeses including ricotta, farmer cheese, and this stuff.
> My sweetie makes the occassional cheddar.
>
> -georg


It sounds a lot like paneer, which is a cheese used in indian cooking.
I can't buy the paneer in my area, but I have seen queso blanco in the
supermarket. I wonder if it would work the same way. I love cheese.
If it weren't for cheese I'd probably be a thin vegetarian, lol. I can
do without the meat, but not cheese!

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:58:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Tee hee - maybe you should publish extracts, or donate to a local library
with commentary. I'd read it then you'd get the royalties.

Drink a pint of seawater? Really?

Best wishes
Maxon


"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:qDB2e.146$G8.97@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:7xv2e.46$4a2.39@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> >> Set before the fire for 5 or 10 minutes. This book seems to be pushing
> >> Yorkshire Relish as it is added to almost every dish except puddings.
> > 1886.
> >> Not all that old.
> >
> > Set before the fire - Blimey, where do you get this stuff?
> > Yorkshire Relish is fine in puddings.
> >
> Gawd.....
> There is reprint of georgian hand-written recipes, and I can remember...
> Take the whites of four dozen eggs. Beat for five hours....
> Take (something like) five pounds of best raisins. Remove the stones....
> And:
> ..put the flour and eggs into a pot and 'sling in' a peck of, and a bit
of..
> I had a vision of a cook pitching in raisins over-arm with great force.
>
> I wonder how many kitchen maids took turn beating those egg whites? 8(((
>
> I have a lovely household hints one here that deals with fun and games by
> the sea-side. (My translation, you understand)
> First you build up your strength. Then, after a light breakfast you drink
a
> pint of sea-water. Get into the 'bathing machine' Put on your bathing
> costume.. and the leggins... and the arm-mufflers... and the hat.. and
> scarf, and boots... and get the machine pushed into the sea... NOT THAT
> DEEP!
> Blushing maiden inches down the steps, well-shielded by women holding up
> towels. Maiden dips toe into water and they all cheer.
> Retreat back into the machine and get dressed, get rushed home in a
covered
> carriage with a rug over the knees and spend the rest of the morning
> well-wrapped in a warm blanket before the fire, sipping a nourishing soup.
>
> Now THATS the sort of holiday I need.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> I can give you the recipe for queso blanco if you want. It's a very
> firm cheese made as a bag cheese/vinegar cheese that has a very high
> melting point. You can use it instead of tofu for most tofu recipes
> including stirfry, and it won't melt. That should give you an idea of
> the texture. Plus it isn't sour. The only flavoring comes from the
> milk and the vinegar. Granted, I use garlic-flavored cider vinegar or
> malt vinegar to give it some flavor, but it's not sour, and you don't
> serve it nekkid.
> I make the bag cheeses including ricotta, farmer cheese, and this
> stuff. My sweetie makes the occassional cheddar.

Ok then, It's not the same stuff. On the subject of Spanish cheese, I went
to Spain a few weeks ago and brought back some cheese (I have since been
informed that 'smuggling' dairy products is illegal, but oh well) I opened
them today as I decided to have cheese and crackers for lunch. All six of
them tasted like parmesan! One was smoked parmesan but the all tasted
virtually the same - Now I know why the Spanish arn't famous for their
cheese.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> Ok then, It's not the same stuff. On the subject of Spanish cheese, I went
> to Spain a few weeks ago and brought back some cheese (I have since been
> informed that 'smuggling' dairy products is illegal, but oh well) I opened
> them today as I decided to have cheese and crackers for lunch. All six of
> them tasted like parmesan! One was smoked parmesan but the all tasted
> virtually the same - Now I know why the Spanish arn't famous for their
> cheese.

I think, but am not 100% sure, it's actually Mexican. Same language. I
can look it up some time, but I don't think it matters.

-georg
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:34:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:2CR2e.667$2Q.143@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> Tee hee - maybe you should publish extracts, or donate to a local library
> with commentary. I'd read it then you'd get the royalties.
>
> Drink a pint of seawater? Really?

Oh yes. And those were the days when sewerage went untreated into the
bright-blue briny sea.
You can find lots of these sorts of books in booksonline. Wonderful site.

You want a baffle? I was idly thumbing through one book and found:
'List Tippets.
List is usually thrown away, though the list, both of flannel and broadcloth
forms warm and lasting tippets which to poor find very servicable in the
cold and wintry weather.'

I know what a tippet is, but haven;t the faintest idea about a 'list'.
>
Granny.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:k96dnU0FOtele9bfRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
>
> Oh Granny you are making me hungry. Cheese fries are what we would call
> that over here. Although if you were to order them at a restaurant they
> would most likely put cheese sauce on them rather than grated cheese. I
> like making fries from scratch, then again I like to make a lot of things
> from scratch. Too many preservatives and chemicals in food sold in the
> stores.

There has been a big back-lash over here about making your own 'chips' in
the traditional way - that is frying tonight! in deep fat. So... I bought a
bag of frozen 'oven' chips.
Horrible. I worked my way through most of the brands and they were all the
same.
One day, filled with guilt I chopped up normal spuds, skins and all and
deep-fried them to serve with the fish and the man's little face lit up, and
after we had devoured the rather meagre amount I had been serving up, I went
off and fried up some more and we ate them too.

To hell with the frozen variety, sed she.

So cheese on chips has a real name? I am glad.


Atleast if I make it I know what's in it and where it
> came from.
>
Exactly. What I want to know is what goes into those toaster pastries the
Sims like so much. I have had one family settle for haggis and nips. Another
lot eat banana and jam and Homer settled for jam doghnut and clotted cream
pastry. Not even possible, I would have thought.

Granny.
March 31, 2005 7:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:k96dnU0FOtele9bfRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
>
>>Oh Granny you are making me hungry. Cheese fries are what we would call
>>that over here. Although if you were to order them at a restaurant they
>>would most likely put cheese sauce on them rather than grated cheese. I
>>like making fries from scratch, then again I like to make a lot of things
>>from scratch. Too many preservatives and chemicals in food sold in the
>>stores.
>
>
> There has been a big back-lash over here about making your own 'chips' in
> the traditional way - that is frying tonight! in deep fat. So... I bought a
> bag of frozen 'oven' chips.
> Horrible. I worked my way through most of the brands and they were all the
> same.
> One day, filled with guilt I chopped up normal spuds, skins and all and
> deep-fried them to serve with the fish and the man's little face lit up, and
> after we had devoured the rather meagre amount I had been serving up, I went
> off and fried up some more and we ate them too.
>
> To hell with the frozen variety, sed she.
>
> So cheese on chips has a real name? I am glad.
>
>
> Atleast if I make it I know what's in it and where it
>
>>came from.
>>
>
> Exactly. What I want to know is what goes into those toaster pastries the
> Sims like so much. I have had one family settle for haggis and nips. Another
> lot eat banana and jam and Homer settled for jam doghnut and clotted cream
> pastry. Not even possible, I would have thought.
>
> Granny.
>
>


Oh I always leave the skins on the potatoes. The only time I peel them
is when I'm mashing them. I don't like skins in my mashed taters.
Otherwise, the skins stay on. Now I'm really craving fries, or chips as
you call them over there. Maybe I will make them for dinner tonight and
give the family a thrill.

Ali
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:51:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> Exactly. What I want to know is what goes into those
> toaster pastries the Sims like so much.

Yes, what is a toaster pastry? Although my current favourite
family can't make those anymore :-( Nor lobster. They all have
nine or ten cooking points. Anyone knows what's up with that?
It's NOT that they have "too many" cooking points.

T.
!