GTX295 deactivated on Newegg

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I haven't been able to find them on another site I regularly order from either. Actually, I'm noticing that the 285's are having stock issues as well.

I wonder what the deal is?

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
the rumors stated a while back that this card was very limited, would this come as a surprise if this were the case?

If it was just a shot across the bow to claim a short term "fastest card out" moniker?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
It would kind of make sense since all of the consumer whores who would buy a GTX 295 and small market who actually benefited from the card's existence likely have purchased it already and the GTX 295 costs nVidia so much to produce to begin with when compared to the price. I am still a bit surprised, though the 4870 X2 is starting to get stock back so it may just be temporary.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

how much does it cost for them to make the 295?

sigh, what's the point of making something that does not return profit?

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Coming from a Marketing Major : ) It was to get the "most powerful graphics card crown". It gets Nvidia attention and a lot of coverage from sites like this one. People will read that the gtx 295 is the most powerful card and think Nvidia is "better" than ATI. They want to position its product as the best on the market. Nvidia receives a lot of publicity because of this. Publicity is important, because it comes from a 3rd party source. People trust what 3rd party sources say. This site is a 3rd party source. Nvidia and ATI are in a highly competitive industry strongly influenced by technology. It is important to have the best flagship card.

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
i think the reason you cant find to many 295's is because they probably stopped making them to give place to the new single pcb versions, and that way get rid of all the "old" 295's...

sefit

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
it´s called economic calculation of risks, which probably in GTX 295 wasn’t managed properly. This card is top-end product, costly and Nvidia, hit by the economic crisis, experienced significant downfall in sales in q3 and q4 2008, absolutely same as ATI. Nvidia partners/manufacturers were cautious and did not start mass production of this card (high price tag) but sales numbers have been much better than expected and in US, CAN and Western Europe is still kind of dropout. Germany was completely out of stock in February and March and now you can mostly get Gainward because there is a factory in south Germany. Situation is much better in UK with 3 producers (…I think). US market is having its GPUs (Nvidia/ATI) imported from China/Taiwan...

Moreover it’s great GPU….I can confirm it because I have one.