Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ways to Auto-Boot Up computer after power outage?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 7, 2009 11:27:57 AM

Scenario:
I have a computer with Asus M3A78-EM Mobo. Also I have the PC connected to a UPS (uninterrupted Power Supply) which can provide power backup for about 15 minutes. I have frequent power cuts; duration ranging from 10 minutes - 90 minutes 4 times a week; I run (want to) the PC non-Stop for days for downloading stuff & various other things.

The problem:

When power outage lasts more than 15 minutes, the UPS cannot hold it and so system powers down. I cannot power on the system unless I am physically present beside my PC.

What I want to accomplish:

I want a way to make the PC automatically power on when power comes up after power outage..either it can be BIOS setting or a software or a combination of softwares. If this is done, downloads n remote session can continue once pc boots up.

The things I tried to accomplish this but not successful are:

1. Browsing net & wandering over the computer shops to find a UPS with RS232 or serial port so that it can be connected to PC's serial port & configure power settings in windows xp such that UPS triggers PC to power on.
Result: There is no such UPS ( I am pretty sure earlier models of APC home UPS, around 9-10 years ago... had this feature).

2. Tried various softwares such as Auto power-on etc, etc
Result: These softwares can make the system power up automatically only from Hibernation state and not a fully powered down state.

3. Explored and collected Details on Wake-on-WAN feature for turning on the PC over WAN.
Result: somewhat confusing data. Also I have Dynamic IP so I cannot know what IP was assigned by ISP (once modem powers up after power outage) to be used for send Wake-on-WAN magic packets over net.
Tried tieing my dynamic ip with dyn dyns but not useful as PC needs to be up for dyndns to be updated with my new dynamic ip.

I request anyone who knows a way to accomplish this to let me know a way to wake my PC over WAN.

Also....
I have noticed LAN port glows even when computer is shutdown, PC connected to power socket. Can there be a software made Such that PC can reboot at specific time if LAN port is active. I doubt Wake-on-LAN, Wake-on-WAN works based on this but not sure. any help would be useful!!

-p1tin

More info on PC if needed:

AMD AM2 x2 6000+; MoBo:AsusM3A78-EM; 4GB Transcend 800MHz RAM; UPS: APC BackUPS 500
April 9, 2009 7:36:57 PM

Hmm. Well with my UPS i have the option of deciding what i want to computer to do when there is a power outage. And hibernation im pretty sure is an option. You should be able to tell your computer to imidiately hibernate when its on battery power and use your Auto Power-on to get it back out. The UPS i have is an APC. Another thing you can try, if you know your outages are 10 min long is only connect the computer itself to the battery side of the supply to extend the time it will last. That way the monitor will go off but the computer will keep going.
April 12, 2009 4:30:52 PM

HI all,

Thanks for your inputs, ramblegamble!!

Found a solution to my problem by digging BIOS:


In the BIOS (all latest MOBOs have this, I think..) there is Advanced Power Management (APM) there is option like this:

Restore from AC power loss [always off | always on | last state]

I set this to always on, saved config, pulled the AC plug, and replugged it the PC booted directly..without having to push the power-on button in the case.

If someone wants to have to look at the BIOS, i uploaded the BIOS page here:

http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=53236_APM_con...

I will use this till I find elegant way..that is: PC powers down or hibernates when PC runs on APC battery-->UPS powers off --> system power up when AC power restored.

-p1tin
Related resources
October 13, 2010 5:39:21 PM

Hi all

I know this is an old topic but i also have a problem with a pc i am setting up to be very stand-alone (inaccessible most of the time) it will run on a UPS but if the power goes off for longer than the battery can sustain the system, the pc is shutdown. now this being a clean shutdown the system would not restart automatically if the power was to resume before the ups batteries are completely drained.

After thinking on this problem i came up with a few options but this was what i decided on.



basically two 5v relays a molex connector, some pin connectors for the mobo power switch and a 5V psu.

the 5V psu is connected to the mains supply (not thru the UPS)

when the power comes back on the circuit is powered and activates the power button of the motherboard, once the power is running in the pc it cuts the circuit off till the next power failure.

Appologies for the poor diagram, its been a while since i have drawn circuits.

My question is why has something like this simple solution not been built into the UPS??


Cheers

Sam Hitchiner.
January 6, 2011 1:36:42 PM

Saraquin you have the exact kind of solution I need. I am remotely monitoring my home video surveillance system in an area where power interruptions may last over a day. My finger just isn't long enough to physically press the power button at home. A UPS simply will not do. I am running Win 7. Although I am not smart enough nor tecky enough to read your circuit but I think it's a shame the simplicity of it could not be implanted in every computer.

My hope is to be able to match what you have done if someone can help me out. My second hope is to be able to restart my computer remotely after a simple crash or slow down. But I may be dreaming in too many colors. Any help with any of these two concerns will be worth the cost of the security system alone.
Marc
April 6, 2011 2:37:57 PM

magnava said:
Saraquin you have the exact kind of solution I need. I am remotely monitoring my home video surveillance system in an area where power interruptions may last over a day. My finger just isn't long enough to physically press the power button at home. A UPS simply will not do. I am running Win 7. Although I am not smart enough nor tecky enough to read your circuit but I think it's a shame the simplicity of it could not be implanted in every computer.

My hope is to be able to match what you have done if someone can help me out. My second hope is to be able to restart my computer remotely after a simple crash or slow down. But I may be dreaming in too many colors. Any help with any of these two concerns will be worth the cost of the security system alone.
Marc



Marc,
Did you apply this solution? Did it work? Or how did you solve it?
April 6, 2011 4:44:17 PM

edibudu said:
Marc,
Did you apply this solution? Did it work? Or how did you solve it?


My circuitry abilities are not as good as I would wish, but I get the general drift which I will work on. Otherwise I was thinking of a solar panel and deep cycle battery bank to back up my entire computer and security system. I will consider measuring the total power drain rate and estimate the cost of such a solar system capable of feeding my system for a minimum of 6 hours should the power be out for that long. It would only necessitate a small solar panel to keep batteries at peak. Then the only time they would be used is during an outage. I realize the panel would be of little use during an outage. To think a simple built in circuit is not standard in every computer is beyond me also.
August 15, 2011 2:13:49 PM

p1tin said:
HI all,

Thanks for your inputs, ramblegamble!!

Found a solution to my problem by digging BIOS:


In the BIOS (all latest MOBOs have this, I think..) there is Advanced Power Management (APM) there is option like this:

Restore from AC power loss [always off | always on | last state]

I set this to always on, saved config, pulled the AC plug, and replugged it the PC booted directly..without having to push the power-on button in the case.

If someone wants to have to look at the BIOS, i uploaded the BIOS page here:

http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=53236_APM_con...

I will use this till I find elegant way..that is: PC powers down or hibernates when PC runs on APC battery-->UPS powers off --> system power up when AC power restored.

-p1tin


this is working perfectly!! but how get turned on the UPS after it goes down??? :( 
August 15, 2011 2:42:41 PM

All you need is a generator and an Automatic Transfer Switch installed on your breaker box. Reboot won't be needed, because your PC will never lose power.
September 24, 2011 10:24:11 AM

p1tin said:


3. Explored and collected Details on Wake-on-WAN feature for turning on the PC over WAN.
Result: somewhat confusing data. Also I have Dynamic IP so I cannot know what IP was assigned by ISP (once modem powers up after power outage) to be used for send Wake-on-WAN magic packets over net.
Tried tieing my dynamic ip with dyn dyns but not useful as PC needs to be up for dyndns to be updated with my new dynamic ip.



This is not true. Your broadband router can be set up to
work with the dyn dns server to register your IP.
!