Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quiet Heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
December 23, 2010 11:44:20 PM

I am looking to get Sandy Bridge when it hits shelves and would like to do some overclocking in the future, but I would also like to get a quiet heatsink since I am attempting to make this as quiet as possible. Since socket 1156 and 1155 use the same holes for the heatsinks I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about a quiet overclocking heat sink that is or will be available by the time Sandy Bridge is out. I will be trying to put this in a Antec P183 case and be using G.Skill Ripjaw memory. Thanks for the help.

More about : quiet heatsink

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2010 8:22:55 AM

Quiet - It all depends on the fan you get... would suggest to invest in a decent cooler like Venomous X or Megahalems which dont come with default fans and then try fitting out one or two fans of your choice... This shouldn't cost you more than US$ 80-90...

If you wanna go budget then you could always go for the tried and tested Hyper 212+ or Xigmatek HDT-S1283... if you feel their stock fans are loud, for their price you can swap it with a better fan...

I was told the Scythe Orochi is dead silent with decent heat management...
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2010 8:51:19 AM

As an owner of the 212+ I can honestly say the fan doesn't bother me at all. I've heard some people say they didn't like it, that it makes a whine. I either can't hear it, or they have changed the fan. Not sure what kind of OC you are going for. The 212+ does a good job, but its not the best out there.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2010 3:55:07 PM

I have a 212+ with 2 Scythe Slipstreams on it, one attached to the CPU fan header on the motherboard abd the other one connected to a Scythe fan controller. It's quiet and great for heat management on my AMD 955 BE overclocked.
m
l
January 2, 2011 4:08:04 PM

I found a CoolIt Eco for really cheap on amazon one day and bought that. Hopefully it doesn't leak. Thanks for the help and answers.
m
l
January 3, 2011 10:59:04 PM

Best answer selected by kj1060.
m
l
!