Sign in with
Your question

Optical drive doesn't read some audio CD's

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2010 5:39:56 PM

Hello,

I have recently been importing some audio CD's onto my hard drive. However, some but not all audio CD's are not read by my optical drive. I am using a LiteOn iHAS324 (http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_con...) but I have also had the same problem on another PC using a different optical drive.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks
a c 122 G Storage
November 8, 2010 5:56:22 PM

Some music CDs are made not to be readable by computer drives. You should see something about it on the CD cover or booklet.
November 8, 2010 8:11:38 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Some music CDs are made not to be readable by computer drives. You should see something about it on the CD cover or booklet.

Thanks for your reply.

I know what your saying but I have definitely been able to read and rip these CD's in the past on other PC's.
Related resources
a c 122 G Storage
November 9, 2010 1:06:54 PM

Could be scratched or smudged then. If you can't read the disks on several drives, that could be the issue.
November 9, 2010 3:34:44 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Could be scratched or smudged then. If you can't read the disks on several drives, that could be the issue.

November 9, 2010 3:35:16 PM

hang-the-9 said:

The CD's are in great condition, no scratches or smudges. I am able to play them on other devices such as CD players and my PS3.

Thanks
September 5, 2011 6:07:12 PM

I have the same issue, great condition cds won´t be read by the laptop drive. While some other cds are able to be read by the same drive. It´s always the same cds that can´t be read. Is it because they are in such good codition that they reflect the laser so well, that it can´t be read, almost like a mirror i think.
September 5, 2011 8:24:37 PM

Its confused the hell out of me. They have worked in the past when I put them on my iPod. Just want to get rid of these CD's and store them on my PC!! :) 
October 3, 2011 5:18:55 PM

If I had to guess, I would say that these CDs are protected. They have some form of encryption or code placed on them at the factory that tells your computer to ignore the contents of the CD. You might try using something like VLC player and see if that will read them.
!